Start by marking “Sporting Chance” as Want to Read:
Sporting Chance

Sporting Chance (The Serrano Legacy #2)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  3,611 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
In their last adventure, Hunting Party, Captain Heris Serrano and her employer, Lady Cecelia, had just triumphed over a heinous cabal that used human beings as prey. Now it turns out that one of the hunters was Prince Gerel, first in line to the throne. The prince, proclaiming his innocence, is spirited home by Captain Serrano and Lady Cecelia, but soon a foul plot is afoo ...more
Published September 1st 1994 by Baen

To ask other readers questions about Sporting Chance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sporting Chance

Carolyn F.
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, library-book
This kind of leads off at the end of book #1, which had them wanting to redecorate the ship. Then they notice something about one of Lady Cecelia's family members and that starts all kinds of problems especially for Lady Cecelia but Captain Heris is brought into the problem as an expedient excuse. I just hated to think of how long Lady Cecelia was kept out of the way - the ending kind of made up for it but it was still bothering me at the end of the book. Very good book/very good series.
Catherine
May 05, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: good-scifi, owned
Although Sporting Chance was NEARLY as good as Hunting Party (book 1 in the Serrano Legacy), it lost a couple of stars in my opinion due to Herris Serrano thinking that Sirkin was losing her mind - or not doing a good job. That whole storyline just didn't ring true to me, and although the rest of the book was great, and again I had problems putting the book down, I just couldn't see either Herris or Sirkin behaving like they did.
Recommended for those who've read book 1 - you really do need to re
Helen
I actually liked this a lot better than the first book. It's faster paced and the story stays interesting, it doesn't get bogged down in talk about horses like the first one.

It is a bit daft though and the ending is a bit too neat and happy for me. It's also very classist, demonstrated most when Lady Cecilia travels to the estate where she has her stables to and the locals all fall over themselves to help 'milady' out of a spot of trouble.

A fun and trashy read. It's nothing special but I would
Dan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Reread, great series!
Sana
This is way different than Hunting Party but equally as fun, if not as dire. I honestly can't believe that the whole issue of the prince being stupid in the previous book is one of the plots in this. It's quite ridiculous and raises ethical concerns but also somewhat fascinating to read. One of the bigger plots however, delves into what it's like to be helpless, cut-off and disabled which is portrayed quite well. Rich people can be so dramatic with their problems, though haha and poor Heris agai ...more
Deborah Ideiosepius
This one hundred percent enjoyable novel was a bit of an epiphany for me, having discovered that space-opera is an actual genera these days I have now discovered just how fun they can be.

The blurb describes the plot, but does not covey how much fun the actual reading experience is. There are space ships and space battles, there are wise cracks and one liners, there are strong admirable women and a hell of a lot of fun is had by all.

The writing is clear, competent and well edited, no pretensions
Rachel (Kalanadi)
3.5 stars - better than Hunting Party, but still a little silly in places (escaping from a hospice center in a hot air balloon?!). A fun read but not the best space opera or mil SF. I had doubts about how Sirkin's storyline was handled and rather disliked the sudden turnaround in Cecelia's condition in the final chapters.

Heris, sadly, is rather boring. Brun is my favorite character, followed by Cecelia. I just think Heris is a blank slate.
Katie Bee
First off - this is a good book and an enjoyable one. While you could read it as a stand-alone, you'd lose a lot of character dimensions, I think, particularly since the main duo (Heris and Cecelia) are split up early on.

Things that this book does better than the first book:
* There is more of a "plot" throughout the whole book; it doesn't suddenly show up in the final third.
* The scattershot "B-list primary characters" group from the first book is split up, and most demoted to secondary characte
Tani
In some ways, this was a better book than the first in the series. The pacing was mostly better. The character relationships, being already established, were better. Although I missed the interactions between Cecelia and Heris, I enjoyed the split story lines, and I thought that Cecelia's story, in particular, was well-done. I was also very interested in the plot involving the prince, although the resolution suffered from the rushed ending. Oh, and Brun has turned into a wonderful character.

On
Becky
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This one got a bit complicated and I think the characterizations were a bit rushed, but the story was good and I am excited to see where things go in the next book.
CatBookMom
I love this series, whether it's being read from print or listening to this multi-voice presentation.

2015 - found this on my iPod, enjoyed it - I do like the multi-voice version for this.
Dahrose
3.5 stars - I enjoyed this more than the first in the series. Less time wasting on silly things like the hunting scenes in book 1. There was a lot going on and all the characters POV was interesting as they dealt with a wide variety of problems/enemies/political plots going on. Heris - the main character, remains the most bland/uninteresting. There is little depth to her - other than she is Captain... and well, that seems to be about it.
Deirdre
Didn't enjoy it quite as much as the first, but still excellent brain candy. Competent people having space battles and intrigue. What's not to love. I'm hopeful for more political intrigue in the next.
Cilfa
Elizabeth continues her sci-fi series horses-in-space with a new book. It's better than the first book in the series. I missed the interaction between Herris and Cecilia, but Brun was a good addition.
The book is a delightful page turner. Still fluffy but very entertaining.
Tim Gray
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Feels a little dated compared to the first time I read it- but that was a long time ago, and it has held up fairly well all in all. Lots of strong female characters, and some clever plotting.
Lushr
Feb 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
since i started reading Moon, i’ve had terrible trouble getting to sleep as i simply can’t seem to put my book down....
Thaddeus Nowak
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sporting Chance is the second book in the Serrano Legacy series. It continues the story that started in Hunting Party, with Captain Heris Serrano and Lady Cecelia returning to the capital with the Prince.

The story is set in motion by Lady Cecelia, who is something of a rebel in the aristocracy, when she exposes some of her observations about the Prince and the events that took place in Hunting Party to the King. The events unfold, showing Lady Cecelia's stubborn streak, as well as Captain Serran
Mekerei
Sporting Chance carries on straight after Hunting Party (which you need to read first for this one to make sense).

Its in the space opera style and I found it enjoyable; enough that I'm going to straight reading Winning Colors when I've finished this one.

Ex-Navy space-captain Heris Serrano is still commanding her eccentric but sharp old patron Cecelia de Marktos's luxury interstellar yacht, the new mission being to ferry home a misplaced sprig of galactic royalty after the first book's action. So
Bertrand
Heris Serrano est une trilogie clairement dans la lignée d’autres œuvres de space opera où le personnage principal est une femme à poigne : Miles Vorkosigan de Lois McMaster Bujold et Honor Harrington de David Weber entre autres. On pense aussi immédiatement aux films de la série Alien et leur héroïne Ripley jouée par Sigourney Weaver.
Heris Serrano, après avoir sauvé la mise de sa patronne lors d’un voyage spatial plus mouvementé que prévu, se retrouve à nouveau aux premières loges. Les familles
Alex Shrugged
"Sporting Chance" is book 2 of the Serrano Legacy series...another good SciFi novel from Elizabeth Moon, an Austin-area writer. It is a continuation of book 1, "The Hunting Party". Although this Scifi novel stands on it's own, reading the first book of the series would help understand the motives of the main characters.

The story: Heris Serrano is captain of Lady Cecelia's space yacht transporting the Prince back to his father, the King after saving the Prince's life in book 1. But on the journe
Faith
The scope of the series is expanding; this book deals with some political problems of the Familias Regnant monarchy.

Hints of problems to come, with Rejuv and cloning and weird drugs.

Great to see Bubbles/Brun continue to mature.

A lot of reviewers hated the Sirkin subplot - but oddly, most of them complained about Heris not considering the possibility of her being drugged, like Gerel. Honestly, I think that's a stupid assumption - who would have drugged her? Why Sirkin? She's not important. It wou
Beth Cato
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Despite being the captain of an old lady's space yacht, life is anything but dull for Heris Serrano. She, her employer and crew survived their recent adventures, but there are two problems: contraband found on board means someone may be out for payback, and the royal figure they rescued may not be naturally stupid. Poison is suspect. However, when the owner, Lady Cecilia, suffers a quick stroke that Heris suspects may be poison as well, legal manuevuering keeps the two far apart. It's up for the ...more
Rhode
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A better book than the first in the series, and definitely more SF-y, but still not a really great book. Ok, a bit dull, and a sense of a chance missed. The author does a strong job of conveying the horrifying emotions and sensations around being in a forced coma where your only senses are hearing and smell, and you are paralysed. The rest of the book's writing focuses on plot...getting the reader from point a to b, without investing much in character's internal lives or other details that could ...more
Cloak88
A solid second novel, to an uneven start, of an interesting series.

The story continues directly from the first novel in the series. Lady Cecelia and by extension captain Heris Serrano are tasked to bring the royal price back to his home system and his father. Except the prince is not well. In fact he is getting "Stupid" and no one knows why. Now a reinvigorated Cecelia (with Heris on her heels) takes it upon herself to find out the: Who's, What's and Why's. Until she is struck by "stroke" and fa
Tony Hisgett
Having been brought up on ‘Old Science Fiction” such as Asimov, Doc Smith etc I really wanted to like this story. I didn’t mind that the plot was a bit slow at times and I thought the Lady Cecilia storyline was excellent, but so many aspects of the story were so weak I found myself skipping chunks of the book out of sheer frustration.
I just couldn’t believe the ‘mole’ in the crew wasn’t spotted earlier. In fact reading some of the chapters was like watching a pantomime with the audience screamin
Starfire
Feb 23, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Elizabeth Moon's other SF
Shelves: science-fiction
Took me a while to get into, but the story eventually took off and became vintage Elizabeth Moon SF.

It's the second Serrano series book I've read, but not the second in this particular series - I'd been told you can read them out of order, but I actually found that this one would have been better served by reading Book 1 of the Legacy series first.

Basically, it was a lighthearted, enjoyable read with no real brain challenges or major issues to it. I wouldn't call it "great reading", but it was w
Celia
Nov 22, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Oh yes - Heris Serrano charging around the galaxy being a captain and solving mysteries! Love it. When the owner of her spaceship (I would call it a yacht, as the book does, but that's just rather confusing) collapses into an apparent coma, Heris goes to uncover those plotting against her employer. It's all rather exciting, and I was very caught up in the mystery - I hauled this book around with me everwhere, telling my husband that I would talk to him later, I was involved with something else r ...more
Robert Mckay
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lady Cecelia de Marktos has returned to Castle Rock, the seat of the Familias Regnant, to take care of family business when she suffers a stroke. But it wasn’t a natural stroke – it was the work of an enemy, and Heris Serrano, the captain of Cecelia’s yacht; and her nephew and friend Ronnie and Brun Meager rescue her and take her to Rotterdam for rehabilitation. Before it’s all over they’re in the Guerni Republic, with Cecelia finally getting a rejuvenation – and the Benignity of the Compassiona ...more
Ben
Nov 23, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, pulp
Weaker than the first book, this never the less moves the greater plot forward. The book follows two separate story lines which only have a fairly tenuous connection to each other, and sometimes the action feels like the pace fails somewhat.

I hope my memories of the second half of this series is accurate and they are better than this one - which I have the feeling is the first time I have read it - as this was a let down.
Jeffrey Jelmeland
Like the first in the series, I have vague recollections of reading this book before, but the last time was long enough ago that only vague impressions of major plot points remained in memory. I have always enjoyed Moon's work, and this story is no exception. The pacing slows at a couple of points, but the overall pacing of the book is well handled, building in intensity as the story builds to a climax. A great read for fans of her work or fans of this type of book.
  • The Heart of Valor (Confederation, #3)
  • Generation Warriors (Planet Pirates, #3)
  • Redoubtable (Kris Longknife, #8)
  • I Dare (Liaden Universe, #13)
  • The Shadow of Saganami (Honorverse: Saganami Island, #1)
  • Burden of Proof (JAG in Space, #2)
Elizabeth Moon was born March 7, 1945, and grew up in McAllen, Texas, graduating from McAllen High School in 1963. She has a B.A. in History from Rice University (1968) and another in Biology from the University of Texas at Austin (1975) with graduate work in Biology at the University of Texas, San Antonio.

She served in the USMC from 1968 to 1971, first at MCB Quantico and then at HQMC. She marrie
More about Elizabeth Moon

The Serrano Legacy (7 books)
  • Hunting Party (The Serrano Legacy, #1)
  • Winning Colors (The Serrano Legacy, #3)
  • Once a Hero (The Serrano Legacy, #4)
  • Rules of Engagement (The Serrano Legacy, #5)
  • Change of Command (The Serrano Legacy, #6)
  • Against the Odds (The Serrano Legacy, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)