Start by marking “On Creativity and the Unconscious” as Want to Read:
On Creativity and the Unconscious

On Creativity and the Unconscious

3.65  ·  Rating details ·  99 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
On Creativity and the Unconscious brings together Freud's important essays on the many expressions of creativity—including art, literature, love, dreams, and spirituality. This diverse collection includes "The 'Uncanny,'" "The Moses of Michelangelo," "The Psychology of Love," "The Relation of the Poet to Day-Dreaming," "On War and Death," and "Dreams and Telepathy."
Published January 28th 1976 by HarperCollins (first published January 1976)

To ask other readers questions about On Creativity and the Unconscious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Creativity and the Unconscious

Corinne
It’s a rich book, with a lot of case studies, which I happened to read while preparing a thesis for a course in medical nutrition that I was taking as hobby. What I retained the most is the following:

Everything that we experience, through our senses and emotions, filters through a shift and stores in our conscious, catalogued by certain associations that are unknown to us. Later, when we encounter a trigger, these stored information flow out from our unconscious, in a manner that is personal to
Doug H
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a reread of a text assigned for a creative writing class taught by Laurie Scheck (spelling?), a poet in her own right and one of my favorite teachers during my college days at Rutgers University. My favorite essay remains 'The Uncanny', ecpecially the section on the doppelgänger. Agent Cooper from David Lynch's new season of Twin Peaks had already brought all of that back for me, but I'd completely forgotten (suppressed?) everything about 'The Devouring Vagina'. That section made me rea ...more
Robert
Aug 23, 2015 rated it liked it
This book contains a few interesting articles from Freud, and a few that weren't engaging for various reasons (sexist, obviously incorrect, ridiculous, and highly speculative, to name a few.)

"The Relation of the Poet to Day-Dreaming" was an interesting piece in which he attempts to determine how poets and authors and wordsmiths manage to connect with their readers. As a writer, I found a lot of what he was saying to be true and applicable.

"The Uncanny" was perhaps my favorite article from the bo
Matt
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Freud's take on creativity and how in some ways this plays out without our awareness is quite enjoyable. A personal favorite essay is his reflection on death and war during World War I. It is enlightening, and dare I say a little existential in it's thinking. This is Freud at his best in my opinion. The pieces where he is hammering home the Oedipus complex, are not as entertaining, but that is likely because Freud was made into a caricature of himself in recent times, so these feel dry, formulai ...more
Noc Vvyne
Apr 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Mixed feelings about the book: I like the writings on art; the analysis of a demonized painter shed some light on the feelings of smallness I go through and hate to admit. Never liked all the theories about castration or Oedipus.
Emma
May 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Freud at his best. Finally.
Rich
Feb 20, 2015 rated it did not like it
Flat and boring conjecture. Some of Freud's popular ideas and subjects are discussed but they are not used well. I would not re-read or recommend any of of he essays in this book.
Kristin
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
amazing. wish i had read this years ago. by contemporary standards, a brilliant analysis of art, literature and character. he really is my hero.
Eileen H
  • Where to Draw the Line: How to Set Healthy Boundaries Every Day
  • The New Peoplemaking
  • A Secure Base: Parent-Child Attachment and Healthy Human Development
  • Focusing
  • Philosophy for Kids: 40 Fun Questions That Help You Wonder...about Everything!
  • Born-Again Vintage: 25 Ways to Deconstruct, Reinvent, and Recycle Your Wardrobe
  • Art Heals: How Creativity Cures the Soul
  • The Best of All Possible Worlds: A Story of Philosophers, God, and Evil
  • The Liar's Tale: A History of Falsehood
  • On the Edge of Darkness: Conversations About Conquering Depression
  • Lucid Dreaming - The Power of Being Awake & Aware in Your Dreams
  • Witness for the Defense: The Accused, the Eyewitness, and the Expert Who Puts Memory on Trial
  • Against Therapy
  • Bead on a Wire: Making Handcrafted Wire and Beaded Jewelry
Freud was an Austrian neurologist and the founder of psychoanalysis, who created an entirely new approach to the understanding of the human personality. He is regarded as one of the most influential - and controversial - minds of the 20th century.

Sigismund (later changed to Sigmund) Freud was born on 6 May 1856 in Freiberg, Moravia (now Pribor in the Czech Republic). His father was a merchant. The