Start by marking “Mending Places (New Heights, #1)” as Want to Read:
Mending Places (New Heights, #1)

Mending Places

(New Heights #1)

When mountain guide Micah Gallagher is hired by the spirited Hanna Alexander to help raise revenues for her failing family lodge, a high-country adventure filled with love, intrigue, and romance ensues. Almost immediately, Hanna betrays her own professional reservations and finds herself enamored by the mystery of Micah's carefully guarded past. When the two unexpectedly f ...more
Published February 1st 2004 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Mending Places, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mending Places

Holly
Jun 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Elizabeth Ray
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed this book until the surprise twist near the end (which I could already see coming). Seriously??? I could see forgiveness in this situation for sure, but nothing beyond that. Hannah needs to see a psychiatrist. this was just way too coincidental and way too unrealistic. I found out the whole series is like this.
Ashley
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a touching story! This book was filled with Love, struggles, fear, forgivness and healing through Christ.
And the healing of TRUE forgivness keeping no record of past sins.

He heals the brokenhearted.
And binds up their wounds.
-Psalm 147:3
Natasha Polak
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book held many unexpected twists, the likes of which were heart-felt, compelling, and humanity rolled into one. I had many thoughts going into the book, being that I have enjoyed other works by the author. Denise Hunter's style and flow of writing is very engaging, open, and her characters all have depth to them without coming across as cheesy or flimsy. Now I'm curious to see what happens in the next book of the series.

In Mending Places, the plot starts off with Hanna Alexander (an uninten
Oluwatosin
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
The biggest thing I got from this book was the power of forgiveness. I stumbled across the last book in the series "Finding Faith" and that one has a pretty big twist... I saw the direction she was headed but I thought to myself... "Nah... there's no way" but sure enough it was. This book... same thing except this time I thought..."No... Again? Well she went there last time so why not this time."
So... apart from the surprise twist I enjoyed the story of Micah and Hanna. I loved their connection
Ckainer
Aug 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pretty powerful book. Made me really think about forgiveness. God, forgiving our sins, we forgiving others, and forgiving ourselves. Not sure I could be as forgiving as Hanna. I liked the way it was written to show the point of view in a scene between the 2 main characters, where there was a break and the author switched to the others thought stream or view. Curious as to how Gram’s disease progresses and if that story line continues in the next book.
TheModestMillennial
Sep 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a good read! Denise Hunter has an incredible way of diving in to messy, horrible, traumatic situations and bringing depth, redemption, and a genuine love for those who have endured them. Hanna and Micah are strong, well-developed characters with whom you can't help but fall in love, and feel their struggles as your own.

Am excellent story of how God can bring forgiveness and redemption in the worst of circumstances.
Dianne Sidebottom
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I had a hard time getting myself to read this book. excuses of the time isn't right, start a chapter and debate do I continue, get another book but I pursued and have now finished. Biblical characters like Joseph, Ruth , David examples. A difficult topic to tackle is memory and shoved down past. For peace it needs to be exposed and God is there to walk along side. Yeah God!!
Cindy
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy a Denise Hunter novel immensely and this one was no different. It's a bit more intense of a read but what I wasn't expecting was a plot twist that knocked me sideways. I'm usually pretty good with guessing where a story is leading but not this one. But, it was emotionally intense which is what I look for in a book. Hunter handled this story well.
Denise
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book. It showed Micah was forgiven for much and how Hannah could be healed by forgiveness as well. I understand that some find the premise of the book disturbing but forgiveness can often be offensive when you are hurt by someone.
Denise
Mar 26, 2019 rated it liked it
An ambitious story line, but at times I was uncomfortable with how it rolled out.
Delynn
Mar 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Suspenseful.... shocking.....not bad
Megan
Aug 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
Kindof depressing and unrealistic.
Donna
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Here is a compelling, inspirational story. I am anxious to begin the next book in the series.
Lizpeveto
Jul 06, 2010 rated it liked it
Christian author. Hanna in an inn keeper with problmes, 1) she needs a loan to keep the business open; 2) her grandmother is experiencing the first stages of Alzheimers; 3) her sister's husband is cheating and needs Hanna's support; and lastly she has suppressed a haunting and painful night when she was attacked. Enter a new employee, Micah, who can offer his climbing skills to guests. Formerly a man with a past, he is now living for Christ; but the two of them struggle to accept their attractio ...more
Jessie
Mar 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, inspiration
I liked this book. Hanna and Micah's story of forgiveness kept me turning pages. The plot was a somewhat transparent, but it did take one turn I wasn't expecting. It made me think about forgiving unthinkable things and the power of God to make things new. However, I found the side story of her sister Nat to be distracting. I know she was setting up the next book, but I think she could have set up that story without switching to Nat's POV. This pulled me out of Hanna's story, and I found myself i ...more
Irene Clark
Oct 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
An absolute page turner, yet being Danish of birth and culture, though full of love for God and prayer, I almost felt I intruded Hanna's simple yet beautiful childlike connection with heavenly Father now and then. Perhaps the total amount of feelings conveyed was not quite nessecary to get the whole of it. But I love the story, the spirituality, the nature, and the hope in an undeniable love that gave way for absolution.
Keshia
May 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
I liked this book a lot. Hanna was such a well-written character. I loved how this book dealt with forgiveness. Even as a Christian, that is at times one of the most difficult things; to forgive a wrong that had such an impact on your life. For the book to bring to light forgiveness in such a terrible situation shows readers about God and His love. That changes are possible even in our flawed human lives.
Fran Calloway
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up at Good WIll basically because the story was set in Wyoming. I didn't realize that it was a Christian romance novel; actually did not even know they existed. This book was quite good and I had a hard time putting it down. It is fairly predictable as most romance novels go, but there is a surprise ending that I did not see coming. Moral of the story; if God can forgive us, we should learn to forgive ourselves.
Trine
May 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
A great book on forgiveness and how to get on with your life, when life gets tough. Even though it tackles some tough issues I found it a nice and relaxing story. It was nice to see how their faith in God helped the characters through their difficulties. The difficulties weren't miraculously removed, they still had to go through some heartbreaking things but when they sought God he gave them the strength to get through.
Jennifer Fluegge
Apr 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a great book. I did feel that she stretched the believability factor a little bit..SPOILER ALERT....by having her victim fall in love with the perpetrator of the crime (though unbeknownst to them both until almost the end of the book) and then have them come to a place of forgiveness where they could still wind up together. But overall, a very-well written book that I enjoyed.
Laurie
So, I read the first chapter (I have the series sitting on my dresser) and I checked the reviews.... and though it has high stars, it also talks about rape/and raper relationship and how it was unrealistic how they just forgave and stayed together.... and I'm not sure if I'm willing to give my time to this series right now based on such a crude storyline.
Improbable? Yes. Uncomfortable? Certainly. Worthwhile read for contemplating forgiveness and limits thereof in light of faith? Definitely. Though I could see the twists coming a mile away, I also found it to be a compelling read, and almost a year after reading it, Mending Places still crosses my mind now and then.
Carman
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was good! I really like Hunter's books, and this one came with some unexpected twists and turns. I love how she wove the story so that the character's pasts would help them heal with each other. Good read.
Jana
Jul 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
First book in several months that I've really loved! Great characters and a terrific love story with a surprising and unexpected twist. First in Denise Hunters' New Heights series. Looking forward to reading the sequels
Janna
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Accidentally read #2 before #1 in this series. Liked #2 a lot better. This one seemed predictable though I give lots of credit to the tough topics of guilt, bitterness, & forgiveness. Would love to live in a lodge in Wyoming like they did for sure!
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought the story was griping and the book moved very quickly. I engaged with the characters immediately and look forward to the next installment.
Tonya
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous book. Could not put the book down, stayed up until 1am to finish the book. Excellent story.
Debbie Wishnow
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Predictable, but easy read. Twist of forgiveness was far fetched and seemed rushed...even for fiction. They should both need counseling.
Susan L. Tuttle
Jun 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What a sweethearted read. I loved this book and each one in the series. I loved getting to know these sisters and their tender stories of healing. These books sit on my bookshelves still today.

• Restless in Carolina (Southern Discomfort #3)
  • That's -Not Exactly- Amore (Drama Queen #3)
  • Smitten (Smitten, #1)
  • Get Cozy, Josey! (Josey, #3)
  • Norah's Ark
  • A Fine Line (Baxter Series, #5)
  • Single Sashimi (Sushi, #3)
  • Controlling Interest
  • Love Starts with Elle
  • Rematch (Lauren Holbrook, #2)
  • Moon over Tokyo
  • Love in Three Quarter Time
  • Once Upon a Laugh
  • Beguiled
Denise Hunter is the award-winning author of more than 30 novels, including "The Convenient Groom" and "A December Bride", which have been made into Hallmark movies.

Denise writes heartwarming, small-town romances. Her readers enjoy the vicarious thrill of falling in love and the promise of a happily-ever-after sigh as they savor the final pages of her books.

Denise and her husband live in Indiana,

New Heights (3 books)
  • Saving Grace (New Heights #2)
  • Finding Faith (New Heights #3)