Start by marking “Gathering of Spies, A” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Gathering of Spies, A

John Altman

Gathering of Spies, A

In 1943, America thought it had rounded up all the German spies on its soil. Now Germany's greatest weapon - a woman with special talents, both for tradecraft and for death - is headed home with critical information about the still-developing atomic bomb, and the Allies chief hope for stopping her is a British agent with agendas of his own. Originally recruited into MI5 to ...more
Audio
Published August 1st 2000 by Brilliance Audio (first published June 26th 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Gathering of Spies, A, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
John Altman Maya, thanks for writing. The book description I see refers to "a German concentration camp in occupied Poland". Please tell me where you see the phra…moreMaya, thanks for writing. The book description I see refers to "a German concentration camp in occupied Poland". Please tell me where you see the phrase "Polish concentration camp" and I will do my best to have it changed. Best, John(less)

Start your review of Gathering of Spies, A
Jim
Jan 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was looking for a good spy novel and this fit the bill. John Altman in this book reminded me of Ken Follett, especially his "Eye of the Needle." Once I sat down to read it, I was reading it as fast as I could- I finished the 321 pages in record time! The story involves a German woman spy in America during WWII who learns about the Allies' biggest secret--The Manhattan Project (to build the atomic bomb). To me, it was amazing that the Germans did not discover that the Allies were working on suc ...more
Suzan
Apr 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like fiction about WWII spies, but this one was just ho hum. I liked the setup, but the last part of the book was skimmable action where everyone is shooting and stalking everyone else. I liked the inclusion of Canaris and the infighting between the SS and the Abwehr. There is loads of shooting, throat slashing, head beating, and forging on with bullets inside one.
David
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retro-reviews
Similar to Eye of the Needle by Follett, A Gathering of Spies features bad-ass female anti-hero Katarina Heinrich who messes up everybody in her path.
Mike Worley
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 solid stars, if you like this genre you will most probably like this book.
Larry
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage
Katarina Heinrich is a German spy who is so far undercover in the U.S. she's barely even spying anymore. That is until, after years of boredom, her American husband is recruited to work on the Manhattan Project in New Mexico. Now her old training kicks in. She discovers enough A-bomb stuff to realize she's got to get back to Germany with her intel.
In England, Henry(?) Winterbotham is recruited by MI5 to pose as a Nazi sympathizer. The idea is to cozy up to German intelligence and pass along mis
Monique
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thrillers
This is a WW2 story about spies from Germany and England. The story unfolds with interesting twists and turns and keeps the interest high throughout. The fact that the main protagonist is a woman adds to the interest. The writing is terse, appropriate to the time period and the conclusion is unusual and interesting.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Toni
Jul 27, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hope the author will feature Katrina in future books -- she's a great femme fatale!
MaryAnn
Feb 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-suspense
A fast-paced thriller and first novel by this author. Those of us who enjoy WWII fiction will love it--and hope for more to come!
Mario J.
May 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Got halfway thru it and realized that I'm a bit long in the tooth to be wasting my time in something I wasn't enjoying.
David
This is a tale of Nazi spies in the US and England. A deep cover Nazi agent, who married a physicist working on the Manhattan Project in New Mexico, read top-secret paperwork detailing the secrets of the bomb. She manages to travel across the US, board a ship to England, leaving dead bodies in her wake. Once in England, she tracks down another Nazi spy, one who was captured by the Brits and coerced into transmitting fake information under penalty of death. She realizes the spy has been turned bu ...more
Annapoorni
Book- A Gathering of Spies
Author- John Altman
Genre- War Fiction/ Espionage Thriller
Publisher- @berkleypub
My Rating-3.5⭐
As a naive teenager, who had just embarked reading #SpyNovels mostly by Robert Ludlum, I wanted to become a spy too. I was brimming with patriotism and adventure. Everything was black and white.
Soon, the greys started becoming visible and I realized that to efface all other qualities in the name of patriotism was just not in me. To be an efficient spy, there needs to be stark cl
James Murphy
Sep 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found a paperback copy of "A Gathering of Spies" in a used bookstore, was intrigued by the plot description on the back cover, and bought the book. The book did not disappoint. It is a thrilling tale of World War 2 espionage, with a female German spy attempting to reach Nazi Germany with information about American plans for an atomic bomb. The spy is resourceful, clever, and deadly. She makes her way to England, with MI-5 determined to stop her. At the same time, a double agent operation is un ...more
dennis barron
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Gathering of Spies. John Altman

Hitler has unleashed numerous spies into England. Almost all immediately captured. Executed if they weren't willing to cooperate. One is still at large. The highest trained and most deadly of them all. A cold blooded killer. A college professor, now and accomplished code breaker has been recruited to capture her. A most unlikely candidate. He has his own reasons for volunteering. His wife is incarcerated by the Nazi's. The professor turned spy as well as the Germ
Betsy
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spy, 2019
It ain't John Le Carre. It ain't even Daniel Silva. This standard spy novel (double agents, spies with secrets etc.) was full of improbable fight scenes, plot inconsistencies and cardboard characters. Fortunately it was one of Amazon's cheap books. Unfortunately I bought two by this author at once. Two stars because I was able to finish it, but only just. Save your money.
Robert LoCicero
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this first outing by the author. His character development was quite good and the setup for action was imaginative and realistic. A good yarn regarding World War II intrigue. I am looking forward to reading his newer material.
Dianne C. Bumgarner
Slow start---Fast pace ending

The book starts slow but then pick up. It becomes a page turner. I enjoyed the surprises and the action
Perry
Aug 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice WWII spy thriller that had a bit of a reverse Fugitive vibe to it. The female villain was being chased after learning secrets. There is more than a grudging respect for her as well.
Reader_Shark
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vinoy Dalal
a really interesting read with a good premise though the ending left a lot to be desired..
Lesley
From the moment Katarina Heinrich, a German spy, kills Catherine Danielson and assumes her identity, I was caught in a web of thrills that kept me turning pages as Katarina, now Catherine, marries a Princeton professor, and moves to Los Alamos where she discovers AlbertEinstein's 'secret'letter toFranklin DelanoRoosevelt detailing a secret,the development of the A Bomb. Altman takes you through a plot of spy and counterspy which keeps you glued to the page. Will Katarina deliver her secret to th ...more
Macjest
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I have mixed reactions to this book. It wasn't what I hoped it to be. It took too long for the action to begin and it hopped around characters too much at the beginning. I had a hard time getting a handle on any of them. Once things started to happen I found it more interesting. But then at the end it just wrapped up too quickly.
Tara
Oct 16, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Typical spy novel filled with all of the best genre cliches. The historical setting is the only unique thing about it. But, if you're looking for an easy, entertaining read, it is quite enjoyable. Just don't expect too much.
Maria
Decent. A fastpaced read with tons of action.
Jenifer
Jul 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WW 2 novel. Women as spies, secrets of the space shuttles/airplanes.
Ed
Sep 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A WWII spy thriller well worth reading. Fast moving and suspenseful.
Andrea
Mar 22, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was enjoying it until about the 12th or 13th graphic killing scene. Too much for me. Strained my ability to suspend my disbelief.
Pam
Jun 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After finally finishing this book by reading it and listening to it on my Ipod, I really enjoyed it and would recommend it if you like espionage.
Trisha
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very engaging and quick read.
Linda
Aug 01, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked it, easy to read, somewhat believable.
Gabo
Sep 20, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book i came to own, not sure how, and enjoyed it when i finally decided to read it.

• The Spies of Zurich (Alex Kovacs, #2)
  • Return to Berlin: A Spy Story
  • Polar Bear Dawn (Detective Bernadette Callahan Mystery #1)
  • Rainy Day Sisters (Hartley-by-the-Sea #1)
  • Near Dark (Scot Harvath #19)
  • In Odd We Trust (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #1)
  • Odd Is on Our Side (Odd thomas Graphic Novel, #2)
  • The Best of Our Spies
  • The Order (Gabriel Allon #20)
  • The Third Eye
  • Metropolis
  • A Killer's Wife (Desert Plains, #1)
  • Touch the Devil (Liam Devlin, #2)
  • Night Flight to Paris
  • A World Out of Time (The State, #1)
  • Kret w Watykanie. Prawda Turowskiego
  • Psy wojen. Od Indochin po Pakistan - polscy najemnicy na frontach świata
  • The Warsaw Protocol (Cotton Malone, #15)
John Altman's thrillers have sold over a quarter-million copies in the United States, the United Kingdom, Italy, Japan, Poland, and the Netherlands. He graduated from Harvard University in 1992. He lives with his wife and children in Princeton, New Jersey, where he is at work on his next book.
"If there are thriller writers betters than this," Jack Higgins said, "I'd like to know who they are."