Start by marking “Mrs. Pollifax Pursued (Mrs. Pollifax, #11)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pollifax Pursued (Mrs. Pollifax, #11)

Mrs. Pollifax Pursued

(Mrs. Pollifax #11)

The last thing Mrs. Pollifax expects to find in her closet is a young woman hiding. Kadi Hopkirk insists that that she’s being pursued by two men in a van. Under the cover of darkness, Mrs. P. tries to drive Kadi home to Manhattan, only to have a dark green sedan give them a run for their money and, Mrs. P. begins to suspect, their lives.

Finally Kadi shares the startling
Published November 29th 1995 by Fawcett Books (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pollifax Pursued, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pollifax Pursued

Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha ChristieThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall SmithCrocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth PetersThe Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan BradleyThe Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King
Women who Solve Crimes
745 books — 252 voters
The Spy Who Came In from the Cold by John le CarréTinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John le CarréThe Day of the Jackal by Frederick ForsythThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Hunt for Red October by Tom Clancy
Espionage
864 books — 1,095 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Mrs. Pollifax Pursued (Mrs. Pollifax, #11)
Andrea
A big jump here from the first book, but the eleventh in this series retains much of the charm and verve of the first book. It's a pity most of these aren't available to me in audio.
Nancy
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dorothy-gilman
I love the Mrs. Pollifax books, and have been a fan for many years. I found the first Mrs. Pollifax books in the Reader's Digest Condensed books. I bought a paperback sent of five of her books, many years ago. I have since bought several of her books from audible, and I like to listen to them as I go to sleep. I love the idea of a little old lady working for the CIA. 14 February 2015

I like to listen to books before I go to sleep, so I played this book again. I put it on the timer, and go to
Stacie  Haden
I love the Mrs. Pollifax series; they're solid. This wasn't my favorite, but I still round up to four stars. There was way too much coincidence in this one, but still an entertaining read.
Dolly
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans
This is another entertaining book in the Mrs. Pollifax series.
Susan Bernhardt
Sep 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dorothy Gilman, always at her best. A reread for me.
Ben Boulden
Mar 15, 2019 rated it liked it
A sprawling mixture of whodunit and espionage starring the witty and likable Mrs. Pollifax. The novel is at its best during Pollifax's visit to a CIA safe house doubling as a circus, but it drifts outside the lanes with a wide (but mostly interesting) kidnapping plot and African coup.
Amy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Best safe house ever!
Kathleen
Jul 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A very fun Polifax case. She spent most of the book in the US, but it was as interesting as ever. I am almost finished with the series and will be bummed to say goodbye to this plucky CIA operative.
Cindee
Dec 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Once again, Dorothy Gilman delights with more adventures for the wonderful Mrs. Pollifax. For those of you unfamiliar with Emily Pollifax, she is a senior citizen, member of the Garden Club... and operative with the CIA. This installment finds Mrs. Pollifax discovering a young woman hiding in her pantry after noticing a white van passing her house repeatedly. The young woman tells Mrs. Pollifax that the van began following her after she ran unexpectedly into a childhood friend. He managed to ...more
Mark Baker
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015, mystery
The last thing Mrs. Pollifax expected to find that day was a young woman hiding in her closet. Kadi is afraid of the men who have been driving by in a van for the last couple of days, and Mrs. Pollifax’s efforts to sneak her out of the house end with both of them on the run. A call to Carstairs at the CIA leads them to an unusual safe house and another mystery. Are the two related?

This is a bit of an unusual entry in the series since it takes place mostly in the US and Carstairs plays a much
Sara
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not an exotic location but an exotic mise-en-scene, a carnival on the east coast of the United States - snake handlers, contortionists, etc. However there is an African connection...a fictional country this time but true to the history of several real countries.
Some fun characters and wild plot twists. Satisfying ending.
Memorable but not her absolute best - the happy ending seems implausible. But there is a well-run African country - Botswana - so perhaps it could be real.
Ryan
Apr 24, 2011 rated it liked it
I prefer Mrs. Pollifax before she remarried - Cyrus seems to get in the way, and always has to be gotten out of the picture. I re-read this one because I remembered the reference to Leopold and the Congo. It is interesting to see how the bad guys change over time (like James Bond's villains), but reassuring that Mrs. Pollifax handles them all with lots of spunk and ingenuity.
Mary
Oct 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the story. I have been listening to the audio book on my drive to work. It made me laugh and escape from the real world for awhile. For me that is what a good book will do. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did.
itchy
Jan 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: w
insert calliope music here

what!? emily got upstaged!?
Marty
Nov 04, 2018 rated it liked it
(Fun. Much better than the above book.) This time it isn’t the CIA asking Mrs. Pollifax to help, but Mrs. Pollifax asking the CIA for help. Mrs P had noticed a van with a misspelled sign slowly going up and down her street the last several days, but she was astounded when she found a young woman hiding in her kitchen closet. Kadi Hopkins tells Mrs. P that she is being chased by two men and have been hiding from them in Mrs. P’s home. Of course Mrs P gets involved and winds up needing a safe ...more
Becky H.
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
The adventure starts when Mrs. Pollifax finds Kadi hiding in her pantry. Kadi is being followed so Mrs. Pollifax does what she does best and helps her out. They make an escape and up at an unusual safe house... a carnival. Only to find out that another agent has been stabbed. Mrs. Pollifax and Kadi blend into the carnival and try to solve the mystery while also trying to figure out why Kadi was being chased in the first place.

#50/50BookQuest categories= Female author, verb in the title,
Dawn
Dec 02, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice little mystery, this time creeping up on Mrs. Pollifax in her own home and seeming to have nothing to do with her handlers in Washington D. C. Cyrus has just left town for business, and Emily senses the presence of another individual. What follows is the opportunity to learn about small-time circus life, and a whirlwind trip to a small country in Africa to foil the plans of a would-be slave owner and tyrant. Mrs. Pollifax gets to see Carstairs on the field in this adventure.
Spacek Kim
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This time the undercover operation came to Mrs. Pollifax. Carstairs left his office to find Henry Bidwell, who set himself up top own a country. I found the term "Leopoldish" interesting as a King Leopold II of Belgium was to have owned a country, the Congo, back in the early 1900s. If true, this sheds light on how royalty believes they have a divine right to own such things.
Cyndy
Mar 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another good read by Dorothy Gilman. Mrs. Pollifax is once again right in the middle of things only this time quite by accident. The story mostly takes place in the U.S. and then in Africa. All the usual characters are in the story to help it along except I missed Cyrus in this one. A good cozy mystery before there were cozy mysteries.
Cindy
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another brilliant adventure for Emily Pollifax, but quite different from Bishop's usual phone call. Instead, Mrs. Pollifax finds a young woman hiding in her house! Then, they're being followed....

A traveling carnival, complete with fire eater, snake handler, and knife thrower comes into play. Also a multi million dollar kidnapping, and a small African nation.
Jesse
Sep 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Instead of Mrs. Pollifax setting off to find adventure, this time, the adventure comes to her. Cyrus is off at a convention, a mysterious and conspicuous van keeps showing up around the neighborhood, and a young woman shows up in Mrs. P’s house, begging for help. After a fast-paced car chase, Mrs. P and her new companion Kadi need to find a place to go to ground and get rid of their pursuers…so it’s a good thing she has “connections.” The CIA get her to a safe house, no questions asked—at first. ...more
Shirley
May 19, 2017 rated it liked it
When Mrs P finds a girl hidden in her home, she calls for help. Then there is a carnival - literally. Lots of different pieces and too many characters for my taste. Interesting change. Once again Cyrus is off somewhere. Poor man never in the same place as his wife.
Ruth
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
A very enchanting mystery on foreign soils. It was a fast moving story that had some unbelievable twists and turns. I was told about this series and managed to pickup #11 in the series. It read quite well even though it was #11.
Sarah Elizabeth
Dec 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This one was a little different since trouble found Mrs. Pollifax this time, instead of the other way around! And I enjoyed it very much--Kadi was fun, the seemingly disparate storylines weaving together were interesting, and it was great to see Carstairs in the field for once!
Sharman Wilson
You can always tell when I've been on a car trip when I listen to a Mrs. Pollifax audiobook! Enjoyed the unusual twist on how Mrs. P. gets involved with this mystery, and the unexpected role played by Mr. Carstairs.
Mary
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-to-read
Terrific like all the Mrs. Pollifax books are. I really liked all the cultural detail in this one. There is always a lot of cultural detail but for some reason, perhaps I just had not Heard many of these details, this was a really enjoyable book.
Karen
Sep 22, 2017 rated it liked it
#11 in the Mrs. Pollifax series. Short & cute mystery that begins with a missing salami and sardines. Mrs. Pollifax has to call in her crime fighting friends to save a struggling African nation. Light reading for sure.
Jolene Elison
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
What a fun mystery. I read most of this series as a High School kid and it was fun to go back to the quick light read. Compared to today's mysteries it is so clean with no sex, no swear words, etc. Just light whodunnit.
Isaiah Vianese
Dec 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fast-paced, fun read. The Mrs. Pollifax novels are consistent in quality, and Pursued is no exception. Also, the domestic setting was a nice twist on the Mrs. P formula--especially for a book late in the series. Highly recommended for cozy fans.
Mary  Mendoza
Feb 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
The circus setting was not a favorite.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• A Nice Class of Corpse (Mrs. Pargeter, #1)
  • The Corpse at the Crystal Palace (Daisy Dalrymple, #23)
  • Heirs of the Body (Daisy Dalrymple, #21)
  • Anthem for Doomed Youth (Daisy Dalrymple, #19)
  • Superfluous Women (Daisy Dalrymple, #22)
  • Gone West (Daisy Dalrymple, #20)
  • A Dangerous Engagement (Amory Ames #6)
  • Hannah's Dream
  • The Cat Who Came to Breakfast (Cat Who... #16)
  • Sheer Folly (Daisy Dalrymple, #18)
  • Love And Death
  • Aunt Dimity and the Heart of Gold
  • The Last Suppers (A Goldy Bear Culinary Mystery, #4)
  • Mrs Pargeter's Public Relations (Mrs Pargeter #8)
  • A Tender Hope (Cimarron Creek Trilogy #3)
  • Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story
  • The Poison Belt (Professor Challenger, #2)
  • Black Ship (Daisy Dalrymple, #17)
Dorothy Gilman was born in New Brunswick, New Jersey, to minister James Bruce and Essa (Starkweather) Gilman. She started writing when she was 9 and knew early on she was to be a writer. At 11, she competed against 10 to 16-year-olds in a story contest and won first place. She attended Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts and briefly the University of Pennsylvania. She planned to write and illustrate ...more

Mrs. Pollifax (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Unexpected Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #1)
  • The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #2)
  • The Elusive Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #3)
  • A Palm for Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #4)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on Safari (Mrs. Pollifax, #5)
  • Mrs. Pollifax on the China Station (Mrs. Pollifax, #6)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Hong Kong Buddha (Mrs. Pollifax, #7)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Golden Triangle (Mrs. Pollifax, #8)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Whirling Dervish (Mrs. Pollifax, #9)
  • Mrs. Pollifax and the Second Thief (Mrs. Pollifax, #10)