Start by marking “Śrī Īśopaniṣad” as Want to Read:
Śrī Īśopaniṣad

Śrī Īśopaniṣad

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  380 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Published 2010 by Bhaktivedanta Book Trust (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Śrī Īśopaniṣad, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Śrī Īśopaniṣad

Robert
Sep 09, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
A monk gave me this, today. Anybody know anything about it?
Keith
May 04, 2009 rated it liked it
The version I have is the original 1969 pressing so I'm sure it's a little bit different than the the book that is shown here in Goodreads. I bought this book from the ISKON website hoping that it would help me better understand the version of the Upanishads that I am currently reading. Sri Isopanishad however is itself one of the 223 texts that make up the complete Upanishads. Sri Isopanishad is also one of the shortest and possibly among the latest written of the texts, making it a very quick ...more
Vanessa
Jan 23, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommended to Vanessa by: Hare Krishna dude
an Israeli Hare Krishna gave this to me in Square-Phillips (Mtl). a *ton* of circular arguments, but if you can ignore that, very interesting stuff. beautiful prose. excellent appendices include a list of the Vedic texts, glossary and Sanskrit pronunciation guide. worth keeping just for that.
Revati Ragini
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For me, this is the kind of book I read a little of each day, over and over again.
BRAIN_QUEEN
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Good overview of the hare krishna movement.
Genndy
Dec 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Everything I had written about the other Prabhupada's book Life comes from life at the beggining of this year is appliable to this one. It is a dreadfully idiotic book. Not the Isopanishada itself, mind you, for Upanishads are one of the most prominent and most important creations of early human intellect. No, I'm talking about this "explanation" of Isopanishada, written by a cultist and a fraud Prabhupada, the founder of the cult Hare Krishna. Book is deliberatly anti-intellectual, anti-scienti ...more
Clara Winding
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book offers a great insight to the thoughts and philosophies behind Hare Krsna Consciousness. Though not so throughoutly as Bhagavad-gita, this is a good startingpoint for anyone with just a bit of knowledge about Krsna - though if you have none at all, I will really recommend you to read up a bit before getting started, because there is quite a lot of names and vedic words, that can make one feel slightly intimidated.
Tanay Agrawal
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very systematic analysis of each and every mantra. A must read for all especially those who genuinely want to seek spiritual insights
Dave  Harrison
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prabhupada-books
Such ancient knowledge, with the help of which one can cross the vast of ocean of life and skies to go back to Godhead, can only be understood by the commentry of His Divine Grace Srila Prabhupada.
Vin
Jun 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the first of books; one of the best of books! This is a revelation, to be heard sitting at the feet of a Master. The slokas of Sri Isopanisad have been with my all my life during schooling, but the meaning came clear only after reading the crystal clear purports offerred by His Divine Grace A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami. Offerred as prayers to Vishnu by the Sun God Vivasvan, these slokas are timeless and unfathomable in their power to transform our consciousness. It would be a great exercise f ...more
Scott
Jul 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a gift from a hari Krishna that I kept seeing in downtown budapest. I told her I would read it and then talk to her about it at their headquarters for Budapest near Zsofi's house.

It was a good read in that it made me think about my spiritual goals and standing. There were some wierd tidbits here and there about the afterlife and reincarnation, but some good ideas on that a person should devote their life to the the science of spiritualism. It has been over two months so I have forg
Linda
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
Very interesting. By the end some loose ends of knowledge had been put into better order (in my head). In the last chapters his descriptions of the place of Krishna, brahmajyoti, devotional service, and how he perceived them to fit together was an aha! moment. Sometimes people are given edicts to follow but it is not explained why and not given the bigger picture. I got a slightly bigger picture from reading this book. Interesting to hear his bhakta viewpoint. I'm left wondering if someone from ...more
Niya
*разсъждава защо човекът не може да достигне до абсолютни истини* няколко абзаца по-късно: "От къде в такъв случай можем да получим истинно познание? От авторитети, разбира се! Ако искате да узнаете нещо трябва да приемете Ведите. Безсмислено е да експериментирате, знанието вече е установено. Ведическите истини се приемат като аксиомни, защото не е възможно в тях да има грешки. Те идват от духовния свят, от Бог Кршна. Няма друг път."
Първоначално не вярвах, че са сериозни, но книгата продължава
Gia Jgarkava
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The illustrations were impressive for a child! Especially the one about reincarnation... though I could understand nothing. When I re-read it after 15 years - this book became one of the reasons that moved me away from Vaishnavism - not because it was bad, on the contrary - the book explained everything so well in details that I easily understood - not my way. However - this is really proper spiritual path for those who fit - huge respect!
Jason Marciak
Jul 04, 2013 rated it liked it
The Sri Isopanisad is a guide into the beginnings of the knowledge of the Vedas. This manuscript gives a novice reader insight into the way of the all pervading godhead as both a key to worship and a methodology of living rightly from the perspective of the Vedic texts of knowledge. It's a useful book for anyone looking to expand their life perspectives and deepen their understanding of Vedic life.
Mark R.
Jul 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The four-star rating here is kind of random. I'm not sure how one goes about assigning a star rating to a religious text, so four seems as good as any number.

This book was given to me by someone who follows the teachings of Krsna as a general introduction to Krsna Consciousness. It is a very quick read, complete with a glossary and a guide for pronunciation of Sanskrit words, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone curious about Krsna Consciousness.
Anastasia
This book does some work explaining and elaborating on the 18 mantras of Sri Isopanisad. He takes a look at where we stand as flawed physical sentient beings within the cycles of repeated death and birth, plus how to break away from that, the material plane, and the law of Karma. This book is about uniting with God, through the guide of a teacher, and ending the painful process of rebirth.
The book was quite complex to read and understand, but I did enjoy it.
Chris
Jan 05, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, non-fiction
I only own this book because I was given it by a monk (well, I say "given it", I was told he wasn't asking any money for the books before asking for money for them). I may or may not bother to read it, most likely it will go to a friend who is into this sort of thing, for now it will loiter on the table.

This seems to be a newer edition of Śrī Īśopaniṣad
Ian Schenck
Sep 13, 2008 rated it liked it
I found myself standing on a train platform with a bag full of books I had just finished, so there was a Hare Krsna standing there with a box of books.

I read this in entirety by the time I got home (the train was a bit slow). It's an easy read, maybe too easy if you're already familiar with most of this line of literature (as I am).

Decent. It is what it is.
Jane
was not as impressed with this as I was the Bhagavad Gita or even the Krsna books (2 volume set)
Belousov Sergey
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Удивительная книга. Маленькая, толщиной с пол-сантиметра. Но плотность, весомость ее куда больше, чем все тома Толстого и Достоевского
Rere
Jan 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
A little bit complicated for me to read but I managed to finish it :)
Very fine book.
Lindsay
I read this book in order to open my mind. It was very difficult to read, both the style and content making it so. It did make me think, but there are a number of ideas I don't agree with.
Lise
Jan 31, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Hinduistic wisdom.
Witek Adamus
Mar 14, 2016 rated it did not like it
it's like a brain stroke. some part of you dies and you're disfunctional forever
Mariya Vasylenko
Navin
May 17, 2011
  • Darsan: Seeing the Divine Image in India
  • The Sexual Life of Savages
  • Энциклопедия мифов. Подлинная история Макса Фрая, автора и персонажа. Том 1. А-К
  • Ramayana: India's Immortal Tale of Adventure, Love and Wisdom
  • Classroom Strategies for Interactive Learning
  • Multicultural Education in a Pluralistic Society
  • To Understand: New Horizons in Reading Comprehension
  • Adolescence
  • Shinto: Origins, Rituals, Festivals, Spirits, Sacred Places
  • Adolescence
  • Money Mavericks: Confessions of a Hedge-Fund Manager
  • Shadowlight (Loremasters of Elundium, #3)
  • Science of Being and Art of Living: Transcendental Meditation
  • A Concise History of Poland
  • Sit 'N Go Strategy
  • Managerial Economics in a Global Economy
  • The Training and Work of an Initiate
  • Madame Mao: The White-Boned Demon
His Divine Grace Abhay Charanaravinda Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (अभय चरणारविनद भकतिवेदानत सवामी परभुपाद)was born as Abhay Charan De on 1 September 1896 in Calcutta, India.

He first met his spiritual master, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami, in Calcutta in 1922. Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, a prominent devotional scholar and the founder of sixty-four branches of Gaudiya Mathas (Vedic inst
More about A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda

$10.74 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99