Start by marking “The Complete Shorter Fiction of Virginia Woolf” as Want to Read:
The Complete Shorter Fiction of Virginia Woolf

The Complete Shorter Fiction of Virginia Woolf

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  1,131 Ratings  ·  78 Reviews
Woolf continually used stories and sketches to experiment with narrative models and themes for her novels. This collection of nearly fifty pieces brings together the contents of two published volumes, A Haunted House and Mrs. Dalloway’s Party; a number of uncollected stories; and several previously unpublished pieces. Edited and with an Introduction by Susan Dick.
Published June 1st 1989 by Mariner Books

Gaurav
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: woolf, short-stories
It was my first exposure to Virginia Woolf's works and I enjoyed every line of the book.

Virginia Woolf is one of those modern authors who reshaped the way fiction is written; she really redefines the boundaries of fiction as the stories are more of sensations rather than well crafted traditional short stories. The stories are having more rhythmic sense rather than narrative, the stories have just loose sensations, which can be interpreted in so many different ways; Virginia Woolf is one of those
Dolors
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those in for style, not plot
Shelves: read-in-2017
One can sense Woolf’s need to push the boundaries of fiction in these short stories more openly than in her novels. As she experiments with literary techniques and poetic resources in order to express the inexpressible, she captures the transience of the present moment and dissects its multiple perspectives through minute, exquisite description.
And so, a green glass can become a fantastic world where color and darkness fuse with the mood of the absent narrator, a passing reflection on a mirror e
Bookdragon Sean
I’m determined to find something else of Virginia Woolf’s that I not only like, but I also love. Let’s see what her short stories are like!

(Review to come)
Greg
Aug 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
A selection of prose/poetry that reminds me much of James joyce: after all, they were both working at the same time and both had experienced the modernist movement. There are lovely lines here such as "Blue are the ribs of the wrecked rowing boats"; there is what feels like prose/poetry that needs to be read and reread to (hopefully) get a grip on what, exactly, Woolf was trying to say; and there are bits that, to me, seemed like a writer scribbling: I can't imagine these notes were meant to be ...more
Kathryn Bashaar
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I knew I should read Woolf, but I kept putting it off because I knew she wrote alot of stream-of-consciousness, which is not my favorite style. And the stream-of-consciousness stories in this collection are not my favorites, but there are some absolute gems, too, which make me understand why everyone makes such a big fuss over Woolf. I would count "Solid Objects" and "The Journal of Mistress Joan Martyn" among the best short stories every written. I could read them over and over just for the lov ...more
Amanda K
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Great book to have by the nightstand and pick up every now and then, really nice to read so much of Woolf, and it vas very interesting to see her progress over time. So yeah, great read, would recommend!
Kyriakos Sorokkou
UPDATES IN BOLD

In the last week of July 2015 I was reaching the end of my Virginia Woolf Marathon, reading the last 3 books simultaneously. By the end I was ill with Virginiasis nervosa. . .
This collection included stories mainly from the Monday or Tuesday collection of short stories; and a few other stories she publish in magazines, including Harper's Bazaar (Yes, Virginia Woolf was sending stories to Harper's Bazaar), along with with four full-page woodcuts by Vanessa Bell (her sister).
Many of
Simona
Feb 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Nonostante non ami i racconti, devo ammettere che, a differenza di altre volte, questi racconti mi sono piaciuti. Sarà la penna raffinata ed elegante della Woolf, ma questi racconti mi hanno colpito. I racconti che la Woolf ci presenta compredono un periodo che va dal 1906, l'anno di "Phyllis e Rosamond", a "La stazione balneare" del 1941, il racconto che chiude la raccolta e che mette la parola fine alla sua vita di scrittrice.
In questi racconti la Woolf tocca varie tematiche, che già conoscia
Federica
È la prima volta che mi avvicino a questa celebre autrice, e vorrei descrivere la mia esperienza con una sola parola: wow. Lettura indubbiamente non semplice - ci ho messo un po' ad abituarmi allo stile ed ai tumultuosi flussi di coscienza dei suoi personaggi - che richiede un considerevole sforzo mentale, ma che alla fine mi ha lasciata del tutto estasiata. Incredibile come Virginia Woolf sappia mettere a nudo l'animo umano con emozione ed ironia.

Aspetto di avere un po' di tempo libero per dedi
Victoria Pohlen
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I came into this book having read no Virginia Woolf and not really knowing what to expect. A lot of the shorter sketches felt like things she had written just for the sake of writing and that got published because she became famous later. Almost like they weren't ever meant for the eyes of consumers. Nonetheless, she has a colorful way with words, and a couple of her "longer" stories (they were all incredibly short) I really got into. This book is best read with the idea in mind that you might s ...more
Syd
Jun 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Honestly, I've read most of these stories more than once, and half the time I have no idea what's going on. Woolf used her short stories as vehicles to experiment with different voices, and it shows. I love the ones I do understand and as for the rest, I'll keep on trying.
Sara
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: literature
g o r g e o u s

the perfect book to end the year.
Kirsty
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Utterly splendid. Woolf is a master of the short story craft; she creates delicious and startling slices of life, and presents them in beautiful and original ways.
Sophie
*2.5 stars*

I love Woolf's writing and her ideas, but I really do find her fiction impenetrable. I will continue to try with it though.
Hadesdump
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Sono una grande amante di Virginia Woolf e tutto è partito da questa raccolta. Dovevo leggere alcuni di questi racconti per la scuola, poi è diventato un lavoro che ho continuato da sola, leggendo anche i rimanenti (non tutti).

Credo che sia un ottimo inizio per entrare nel mondo della Woolf, che scrive nella prima metà del Novecento con uno stile che si basa sullo stream of consciousness, secondo cui i personaggi pensano più cose contemporaneamente. Per fare un esempio, posso essere in metropoli

Emily
Oct 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Virginia Woolf understands life better than any human being. The precision of her words and her language captures the scope of the world: from the snail in "Kew Gardens" to Miranda in a space as big as the eye of a needle in "In the Orchard."

"A Society" was enthralling and provocative.

"The Mark on the Wall" reminded me of Charlotte Perkins Gilman's story, "The Yellow Wallpaper." I enjoyed the way Woolf brought back the snail.

My favorite story, by far, is "Solid Objects." I also loved "The Duches
Gabriel Suzume
Mar 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gran elección para acercarse a la obra de Virginia por tratarse de relatos cortos escritos a lo largo de toda su vida. La autora demuestra tener un domino soberbio de la narrativa, utilizando multitud de recursos desde el texto encontrado hasta la introspección psicológica. Descripciones sublimes pueblan los relatos; en los que destaca sobremanera el análisis de los personajes, realizado en la mayoría de las ocasiones desde dentro hacia fuera, desde cómo piensa el personaje a cómo lo ven los dem ...more
Evan
Nov 30, 2007 is currently reading it
I'm reading stories from this collection more or less in their chronological order inbetween the novels. Trying to get a clearer sense of how her style developed. Though not too many of her short stories were published prior to her death, there are quite a few here. Thus far (I'm up to around 1920), I notice her experiments becoming more bold, from fairly straightforward character sketches to such works as "A Mark on the Wall" (1917), which uses a black unidentified spot on the opposite wall as ...more
Katie
Sep 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: short story fans
Shelves: grad-school-read
This isn't the exact book I read, but the collected short stories of Virginia Woolf are a fascinating read because her short stories are solely about language, not plot. Her writing is so visual and delicious, I recommend reading some of her stories out loud. Some of them you may need to read once or twice to get more out of them, but if you are a fan of short stories, it will be interesting to see how different her approach is than other writers.
Shaktima Brien
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Virginia Woolf is a giant. Her story-telling is simply genial. Her observations, her flow to describe an object, a sensation, an evocation or a deep truth are exquisitely told. The author goes into complex and sideways thoughts when looking at material things and circumstances. She brings to your attention the most intimate details that leave you in awe of their multi-dimensional qualities. What a sophisticated mind!
Valentina
Jan 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: relatos, leo-autoras
Recomendadísima colección de relatos. En cuanto los terminaba, regresaba a ellos para releer algunos pasajes y detenerme a admirar cómo construye sus largas frases; hace música con los signos de puntuación. De los que están relacionados con la fiesta de Mrs. Dalloway, mi preferido es El vestido nuevo. El resto de mi top 5 lo conforman: La marca en la pared, La sociedad, Lappin y Lapinova y El legado. ❤
Bennievermeer
"And what is knowledge? What are our learned men save the descendants of witches and hermits who crouched in caves and in woods brewing herbs, interrogating shrew-mice and writing down the language of the stars? And the less we honour them as our superstitions dwindle and our respect for beauty and health of mind increases... Yes, one could imagine a very pleasant world."

Meredith
Jan 26, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: partly-read
It's just not my book. I appreciate Woolf is one of the greats. Like an ancestor of the craft. But I just can't get into that heavy, clunky, descriptive style of hers. I did enjoy one story, "A Scoeity". I thought it was a nice piece of satirical rhetoric but I just can't finish this book. It puts me to sleep.
Zeldawheel
Jun 29, 2008 rated it liked it
Skipping around, I like her earlier stuff more than the later stuff. I'm just not deep enough to see where the more abstract pieces are going ... although I am deep enough to realize it's somewhere beyond my intellectual comfort zone.
Stephie
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Exquisita, potente, real porque es Woolf.
Aase Marit
I wanted to like it, but the only short story worth reading in this one is "A Society", all the others were rubbish to me.
James MacIntyre
Oct 14, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Absolute tosh, except the story 'A Society' which was excellent. Without that, would've taken off a star
Lorraine
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite different from her novels. More poetic I think -- less structured.
Ananya
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well..some stories were clearly beyond my comprehension. Virginia's enthusiasm with nature is palpable in a number of stories. A super eidetic imagery of nature, repetition of words thrice at many places, abstractness, questionable consciousness of characters, swinging through past and present are some imprints that the stories in this book have left on my heart. 'Monday or Tuesday' being my favorite, the stories were quite abstract and thought provoking.
César Augusto
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
De inicio a fin como creció uno de los pilares de la narrativa. La sangre me hierve de emoción.
  • Stories
  • Interesting Women: Stories
  • Sudden Fiction: American Short-Short Stories
  • Hunger
  • Novelties and Souvenirs: Collected Short Fiction
(Adeline) Virginia Woolf was an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century.

During the interwar period, Woolf was a significant figure in London literary society and a member of the Bloomsbury Group. Her most famous works include the novels Mrs Dalloway (1925), To the Lighthouse (1927), and Orlando (1928), and the book-length es
More about Virginia Woolf...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland
  • The Comfort of Strangers
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Endless Night
    $4.49 $0.99
“Fazendo a irmã mais nova sua confidente, viera para Londres, deixando à família uma dessas cartas ridículas que os grandes homens escrevem e que são publicadas um dia, quando já se tornaram célebres e todos desejam saber a história das suas lutas e das suas dores.” 0 likes