Start by marking “Albert's Alphabet” as Want to Read:
Albert's Alphabet

Albert's Alphabet

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Albert the school carpenter has been assigned a task that seems virtually impossible! He has to build an alphabet for the walking path on the school playground. All twenty-six letters! And by three o'clock! How is he ever going to finish on time? Does he even have enough materials?
Luckily, Albert is one clever carpenter. He not only finishes on time, he builds what could
Published September 1st 1994 by Aladdin (first published March 30th 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Albert's Alphabet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Albert's Alphabet

midnightfaerie
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Great preschool aged book or kids learning their alphabet. It's about a goose who has to make each letter of the alphabet for the kids to play on, on the playground. He quickly runs out of lumber and has to be creative to come up with other supplies. It's an awesome book with great illustrations. My kids all love it!
Julie
Oct 12, 2015 rated it liked it
Albert's Alphabet is a book with very little text. For this reason, I assumed it would be a quick read. However, the illustrations are filled with extensive detail that require great attention for full appreciation of the book. The premise is that a carpenter duck named Albert is charged with building an alphabet for a school, all in one day! He resourcefully uses his lumber to build many of the letters and then confronts the challenge of how to build the remaining letters once he runs out of wo ...more
Paul
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Albert the goose is a very inventive carpenter. Given the task of creating an alphabet of upright characters for a playground, Albert moves from A to N using big and little pieces of wood and even nails to outline a letter. From O onward, he utilizes a building wall, stones cemented for form the Q, logs, duct pipe, clothesline steel pipe, plumbing works, manicures a tree, and rearranges a building. Probably the most inventive and amusing alphabet book I've read. The more sophisticated or complic ...more
Eva Leger
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
I wish I could rate this higher but I can't. Part of me thinks we may have liked it more if we'd read it when Julia was a baby. But another part of me says no way.
There's nothing here. Nothing at all. Write down each letter in the alphabet in a funny way and there you have it, you're kid will have read this book.
The illustrations are okay. The text is non-existant. I wish I could remember titles because we've come across far better books showcasing the alphabet than this. A decent search will
Amanda
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was a surprise favorite to me. It was part of a storytime kit at our library about tools and my 3 year old son has had me read it over and over since we got it. The mission is simple, if pressured by time and materials, but Albert meets it in fantastic fashion. My son loves saying the letters as we go through and then singing the alphabet on the last page, with lots of giggles around Z. It's a pretty quick read, but lots to look at if you want to linger.
Nancy
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, alphabet
This interesting ABC book is centered on a school carpenter who happens to be a goose named Albert. He is given an assignment by the school principal to build an alphabet for the school’s playground. Each page shows Albert constructing the letters of wood until he runs out, but resourceful Albert comes up with some interesting materials to complete his task. A cute story.
Jessie
Dec 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, baby
What a cute book! This book was introduced to me at book club. It doesn't have a whole lot of words but the illustrations are wonderful! Albert has to solve the problem of making an alphabet showcase for the elementary playground. The figures he comes up with for the letters is quite creative. I would love to have a copy of this one someday.
Abby
Jun 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is a really creative book that takes you letter by letter through the alphabet. Each letter is "built" by Albert in a very unique way! If you are trying to teach your little one the alphabet or are working on recognizing letters, this presents them in a clever and engaging way.
Yates Marie
This book is about a duck that has to make an alphabet on the school grounds. The duck uses all of the materials that it can. It does not waste any materials. This would also be a good book about recycling. It would be good for beginning readers becasue there are not that many words in it.
Jd Ehringer
I really enjoyed this book. It is very helpful in teaching kids the alphabet. It does it in a creative way that I've never seen before. Would definitely recommend it for any classroom.
Emily Bernd
I love this book and how it shows what each letter looks like clearly. My 3 year old nephew loves this book, it has helped him recognize his letters.
Beverly
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
Clever, inventive, beautifully illustrated.
Jaimee
Jan 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
great book for toddlers learning there abc's who love to build!
Nakitah
Albert uses supplies in his workshop to build an alphabet for the school playground. This can be used as an activity for students to build the alphabet using their school supplies.
Andrew
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Not well known, but surprisingly good. A rare picture book that you can study for a long time afterward.
Paula
Clever Albert uses all the supplies in his workshop to build an alphabet for the school playground.
Lesley Looper
I like the creative building in this cute alphabet book!
Beth
Jun 11, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alphabet
Shape your alphabet
Carrie Gelson
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Delightfully creative. Emphasizes building, creative thinking and the ABCs!
Vervain Helsdottir