Start by marking “The Buck Stops Here: The Presidents of the United States” as Want to Read:
The Buck Stops Here: The Presidents of the United States

The Buck Stops Here: The Presidents of the United States

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  86 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
This is not a history book, although it contains a good deal of information about America's past. Its pictures are designed to help readers make connections between the presidents and the events surrounding them. The rhyme may help in remembering our presidents' names and the order in which they served. Perhaps, too, curiosity about our history will be aroused. (from the I ...more
Published September 1st 1992 by HarperCollins Publishers (first published September 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Buck Stops Here, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Buck Stops Here

Lauren Anglin
Nov 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1) Book summary, in your own words (3 pts)
This is an informative nonfiction book about the presidents of the united states.
2) Grade level, interest level, lexile (1 pt)
5th grade
3) Appropriate classroom use (subject area) (1 pt)
classroom library
4) Individual students who might benefit from reading (1 pt)
Students interested in the connections between the presidents of the united states
5) Small group use (literature circles) (1 pt)
none
6) Whole class use (read aloud) (1 pt)
I would not use this book
Gabby Mondelli
Nov 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Buck Stops Here: The Presidents of the United States is an elementary and social studies classroom staple. My fourth grade classroom happens to have the original publication as well as the 20th Anniversary addition (welcome, Presidents Bush and Obama!). This book, told in verse, gives a fun fact or two about each of the presidents, in order, since George Washington. The best part about this book for my readers, however, are the pictures. In addition to their featured stanza, each presidentia ...more
Shelli
This was a nice addition to the numerous picture books my daughter and I read on presidential history. The information in the afterward should be read with each president's picture page to better explain why those images were selected to showcase key events or legislation past during their presidency. If your child has little background information on the presidents this is not the book to share to get them excited about learning.
Nashiea Edmiston
A bit outdated and definitely not informative enough to be used as the sole text for studying the order of US Presidents, however, this would make for a great accompaniment to a unit on presidents. The book contains rhymes, which will help with recall/memorization of the order of the presidents. Really enjoyed the illustrations in this book. Children will be able to recall pictures from the book when thinking back on a particular president.
Andria
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Liked the poetry with the one main fact about each president. The pictures were ones you could get lost in for hours learning about the presidency of each one.
Laurie
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I borrowed the hardcover 20th Anniversary Edition from the library, which is updated through President Obama. This is a delightfully illustrated and annotated book that I found out about when reading Alice Provensen's obituary in the New York Times on May 3rd.

The book is entertaining, at times whimsical or irreverent yet always respectful to the position. It struck me as a wonderful multi-age appropriate entry into the history of the Presidency and the United States. Between the drawings, annot
Beth
I found the illustrations of late 20th century presidents to be stiff and awkward. And why is President Obama sitting on a porch on a plastic chair? I get that highlighting Michelle's garden is visually interesting. But this make her husband look less presidential than the other guys. And while the author did not intend this - it hints at negative stereotypes of African-Americans.

Still the clever rhyming poems tell a story of American history through presidents that young readers enjoy.
Mrs. Shaundell Smith-
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book, history
I absolutely love history! This is a cute children's picture book, in poetry format, listing the United States Presidents and their major achievements. I learned much.
Kent Kirker
My second edition of this book.
Corey
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good little picture book for kids who like the Presidents.
Lindsey
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great book about all the Presidents of the United States from Washington to Obama.

Each page is packed with illustrations showing the major events, reforms, and important facts about each presidency. There is also a short verse on the bottom of each page to sum up each President's term. For example: George W. Bush's script on the bottom says, "Junior Bush, Forty-Three, Plagued by catastrophe" with illustrations of 9/11, War against Iraq, Katrina, and No Child Left Behind.

Each presiden
Christine Turner
This rich pageant of the American presidents is the culmination of award-winning author-illustrator Alice Provensen's distinguished career.
Using detailed vignettes that capture each era, witty couplets, and extensive factual material, Provensen takes readers on a journey from George Washington through Barack Obama. Newly updated, this twentieth anniversary edition is a treasure trove of American history.

Subjects

Presidents -- United States -- Pictorial works -- Juvenile literature.

United Stat
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My version only goes up to George Bush Sr.

Lovely illustrations, as usual in Provensen books.

Contains a sentence-long rhyme about each president, and the illustrations show important events during their term(s).
Rachel
Jul 11, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
I picked this up in hardcover at the SPL book sale, just because it was illustrated by Alice Provensen - I really just adore her style. It's an illustrated rhyming guide to remembering the names and deeds of the U.S. presidents up until George Bush, Sr. And I just really like it.
Lorna
The real meat of each president's legacy is in the end notes. Each presidential page (or pages) is full of bullet point info or graphics on significant happenings. Some of these I found easier to read than others.
Andréa
The real value of this book is in the informative illustrations. The rhymes are so short they explain nothing and only raise more questions. but the informational section in the back helps give clarity. Unfortunately, my copy is rather out-of-date: it ends with Clinton entering his second term.
Shannon
Feb 15, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011
You'd need to already know quite a bit about the presidents to understand the references in this book.
Jane
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Anyone interested in US history will love this book. Quirky, beautiful illustrations with well-chosen facts about each presidency. Outstanding!
Bree
Jul 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-history
Notes:
such potential gone to waste here
fun-facts galore, but no real 'history'
great illustrations
rhyming text was so unnecessary
Tracie Little
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informational
great book for US History.
Karen
Aug 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ellie, jacob, mom
Not enough information on each president. Some parts seemed confusing to the kids.
Shiloah
A little outdated as it stops at George H. Bush, but still was a great read aloud for my kids ages 12-8
Morgan
Nov 12, 2008
Karen Witzler
Aug 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Alice Provensen collaborated with her late husband, Martin, on numerous highly acclaimed picture books, including the Caldecott Medal-winning The Glorious Flight and Nancy Willard's Newbery Medal-winning A Visit to William Blake's Inn, which was also a Caldecott Honor Book. The Provensens have been on the New York Times list of the Ten Best Illustrated Books eight times.
More about Alice Provensen