Start by marking “Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01 (Hunter x Hunter, #1)” as Want to Read:
Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01 (Hunter x Hunter, #1)

Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01

(Hunter × Hunter #1)

Hunters are a special breed, dedicated to tracking down treasures, magical beasts, and even other people. But such pursuits require a license, and less than one in a hundred thousand can pass the grueling qualification exam. Those who do pass gain access to restricted areas, amazing stores of information, and the right to call themselves Hunters.

THE DAY OF DEPARTURE
Gon mig
Published April 5th 2005 by VIZ Media LLC (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01, please sign up.
Nemesis Gutierrez Im gonna base my answer off the anime which is close to the manga but first what powers exactly? his Nen abilities? If so, a person trains him to sort…moreIm gonna base my answer off the anime which is close to the manga but first what powers exactly? his Nen abilities? If so, a person trains him to sort of activate his nen. Kinda like the whole mediate to become more spiritual thing. He just awakens what he already had by training to release it. (less)

Start your review of Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 01 (Hunter x Hunter, #1)
Nicole
Number of volumes: 33
Number of chapters: 360
Status: on-going/currently on damn hiatus.
Rating of the whole manga: all the stars in the world. ∞

The anime is actually my favorite. After watching it about 3 times (twice 1999 and once 2011, however, I watched some episodes of the latter multiple times), I decided to read the manga. Hunter x Hunter is my favorite thing in the world.
Hunter x Hunter tells the adventures of four young friends: Gon, Killua, Kurapika and Leorio.

Minor spoilers

Sam Quixote
Hunters are the elite in Gon’s world - wealthy celebrities free to roam the Earth - so of course he wants to become one, like his long-lost pop. Off he goes to the trials – but will he blah blah of course he will eventually and find his dad and zzzzzzzzzzzz…

Hunter X Hunter Volume 1 sets up the series premise and the first obstacles Gon and his fellow wannabes have to overcome - and I couldn’t have cared less! This was all so uninteresting, I just couldn’t get excited about any of it. The charac
Ilias
Feb 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: patient people, huge cast, late reward
Shelves: manga, favorites
If you so choose to read this manga, read it well past the first couple of volumes and don't give up. Because the first volumes make the entire series as a whole seem bland and childish, but as the manga progresses you will be richly rewarded.Besides the slow start. Hunter x Hunter is simply amazing.
Bilal Taibzada
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I said I'm gonna write a long review no matter what

and even though nobody writes long reviews for manga (except for some people who only read manga)
I've already watched the first anime and am currently on episode 128 of the 2011 anime
but the book had this cool effect in it and the art style was out of this world(I don't know how you guys write long reviews but this sure is boring)
Gon a 12 year old(i guess)meets kite who saves him from that bear
so.....................
now Gon is a superhero?Nero
An thia
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: favorites
As a Japanese manga and by Yoshihiro Togashi I can say without any doubt : " It is magnificent " ...
It is all about deciding to go towards an aim .. just challenging ourselves and who are against us .. Our positive energy , thinking and the strong stamina is the most vital of them to take us there ... where we dream to be ..

The world is full of troubles and the hunter is the one who aims at overcoming them .. To know the real fact about someone , you must know the thing that makes him angry de
Artemy
May 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Hunter x Hunter is yet another popular shonen manga, generally similar to stuff like Dragon Ball, Fullmetal Alchemist, Naruto, My Hero Academia, etc. This one is about a fictional fantasy world where hunter is one of the most prestigious and well-paid jobs, so everybody wants to be one but very few people are actually qualified, since you have to go through a series of very tough and rigorous tests to get certified. It’s also worth mentioning that in this world, being a hunter is more akin to be ...more
pinkgal
Mar 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I would say, even better than Yu Yu Hakusho, though I love that one to pieces. All the characters, all the trademark jokes, all the personalities. One thing this mangaka should be famous for is the creation of multi-faceted characters who are just hilarious both when they're killing you and when they're digging a hole to sleep in for three days. The cast of characters alone will have you fits of laughter.

My favorite characters are, oddly, Leorio and Kurapica. Usually I go for the NEED REDEMPTIO
⋆  yel  ⋆
Jun 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads, manga
4 of 5 stars

-----

"Being fooled is as good as being dead"

Oh, how I missed these guysss!

I finished watching the anime adaptation of Hunter x Hunter less than a month ago and I am still unable to moved on. I can't shake the emptiness I felt after watching it and all I wanted was more of this HxH world so I decided to start reading the manga. Though I don't know if it was a good idea since it was still on going and on hiatus.

The hunter applicants, including our main character Gon, Killua, Kur
Rusty Grey
Nov 06, 2018 rated it really liked it

This is a masterpiece .

This series has one of the best story arcs ever . It's characters are so layered unlike most of the shonen mangas . Moreover the Chimaera Ant Arc had made it on of my favorite graphic novels .
Jaine
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Chapter 1 is actually a shock to me. I never expected manga will be like this. I have watched all 148 episodes of hunter x hunter for 3 times and I never imagine that the actual happenings are like this. I find it really cute. I just love it!

Chapter 2 is the incident from the huge storm. Gon shows his great sense of observation. The manga shows more details about this than in the anime which is cool. Also, there’s just a lot of difference to the manga and anime.

Chapter 3 is when Gon, Kurapika,
Maria
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
How is it possible for characters to grow on me this much after just one volume? (Leorio!!! best boy) Such interesting, unique personalities, great character design, especially Hisoka. Speaking of which, now I kinda understand why everyone’s so obsessed with him. So far, he’s my favorite. ♥️🃏♠️
The plot kinda reminds me of My Hero Academia but with far less noble intentions on the characters’ part, which makes it all the more real. Dialogue and comedic aspect are on point, too.
By the way, i was
allythereader
ONGOING || one of the best shounen manga there is!! Chimera-Ant Arc proving as one of the best arc there in shounen’s history!! Hands up for Togashi-san!!
Jordan Stephens
This manga does everything a shounen manga should do. When I think of the perfect manga, I think of Hunter X Hunter. This review is about the series as a whole.

The fights are amazing. Each hunter has their own ability and fighting style. The main characters use their wits and their own unique style to win. I liked Dragon Ball Z as much as the next kid growing up, but each characters strength is determined by their power level, and that's about it (DragonBall is a different). In HxH there is so m
jerica
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Rating:
Art: 5/5
Story: 5/5

My rating scale for this--and all subsequent volumes--will be based on story and art. I caught an episode of the 2011 anime on Animax and I realized, hey, I never knew what happened after the Zoaldyck arc (back when it was on GMA). I was also in the mood to read something gory, so I decided to read the manga.

Gon Freecss, 11 going on 12, is off to take the prestigious Hunter exam above the objections of his adoptive mother, Mito. The exam is an arduous one, where it is
(Jean) Owen  Kerr
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hunters are specially trained workers who's fields range from gourmet hunters to assassins. All Hunters must take the deadly and excruciating Hunter Exam, planned out by determined task makers, to receive their Hunters license. Gon is a nature loving boy who wants to become a Hunter to gain access to all restricted areas to search for his missing father. The story is narrated to make Gon’s test the main story storyline. When Gon leaves to finally take the exam, he teams up with two other exam t ...more
Derryn
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Loved this!! Definitely reminds me of dragonball ... but with less perverts 😂😂

I am ready for volume 2 ... just need to buy it 😬😬😬
Dana Salman
So this is my first time reading Hunter x Hunter. I've decided I'll never read either Naruto or Bleach, and that's mostly because they're too long and I've already committed myself to a long-running manga (One Piece), and plus I was never interested. But I've heard great things about Hunter x Hunter. I remember seeing this show (the original anime) in Arabic dub on Spacetoon, and I watched the first few episodes but got bored a little too quickly. Now however there's a new anime that's truer to ...more
VGA
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.5 stars

YES. I finally started to read the manga. I'm a HUGE fan of the anime, and this is amazing!!!!!! Why 4.5 stars, you might ask. Why not 5? Well, the art. Because of how BEAUTIFUL the anime was,I guess I was just expecting...more. But if nothing I say will make you read this, just do it for Killua. Just. For. Killua.
You will not regret it.
*melts into a puddle*
(I can't post pictures of my lovely on the Kindle version, so just search up Killua on Google. Then once you see his
Mert
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, 2018
Another shonen manga that inspired me as much as Naruto. I've watched the anime first then proceeded to read the manga. It is brilliant because of the very interesting story and the well-written characters. Gon is a funny and dumb protagonist type whereas his best friend Killua is very serious and calm. There is Hisoka as a trickster (joker) figure. The idea of the hunter is brilliant, both the characters and the story is interesting. However, Togashi DID NOT finish the manga. He previously left ...more
Tilly
Dec 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
4.5 of 5 stars
I am removing a half star because the beginning was a little bit rushed in my opinion. I would have liked to get to know Gon a bit more before the whole adventure started. But nevertheless the world and its characters are great so far and the whole idea with the hunters is very interesting. I am also already intrigued by Hisoka, I have to admit that I am often a fan of psychopathic fictional characters, especially in the Manga/Anime genre :D A very promising start overall!
Sara Aouichi
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
i decided to reread this entire serie ^^
its been a long time , andi may as well re watch the anime as well
Natalie
Oct 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
So I finally got around to giving this a shot, and I gotta say that so far I really like it! c:

From the get-go, it reminds me quite a bit of Dragon Ball (with Gon being very similar to Goku in both temperament and appearance) with a bit of Naruto thrown in, which I really enjoyed. The hunting aspect is interesting, and while I'm still not entirely sure what being a "hunter" entails, despite the few explanations so far (seems to be a combined animal hunter, treasure hunter, protector, etc. mishma
Koichi Mashita
Jul 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I know this manga, but I have never read in manga because I only watch anime on tv. However my friend recommended me that you must read this manga. I began to read manga. I have already known the content of this manga. I found it interesting for me to read this manga. This story is about hunters. In this world, it is situated high position of job. This main character is also tried to be a hunter. I am looking forward to reading next volume as soon as possible.
Illy
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God, I love this series so much. Hunter X Hunter is probably my favorite series ever. I am re-reading this series (again) and I can’t be more happy. This whole series is amazing. I can’t recommend it enough.
Kentaro
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Laurie
Apr 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The art is amazing. The dialog was hilarious. The characters are amazing. Love the Sailor Moon cameo!
Mr. Cody
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I had a ton of fun. Want more.
Ricky G
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Off the bat, characters are super likable and it's been fun to see them put into novel scenarios. Looking forward to reading more. I missed Togashi.
Patty
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, manga
NewYearsReadathon | January 2020
Challenge:
- Read a first book in a series.
- Read from an author, series, or genre, that’s new to you.
katelyn
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
its high literature plain and simple
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
YouTube Anime/Man...: Hunter x Hunter Discussion 1 1 Sep 09, 2019 05:41PM
Visual Novels Boo...: Hunter X Hunter 1 Discussion 1 2 Aug 31, 2017 04:56AM
Shounen Manga Boo...: Hunter x Hunter Discussion 4 13 Aug 15, 2014 03:47PM

• NARUTO -ナルト- 巻ノ四十三
  • Dragon Ball, Vol. 1: The Monkey King (Dragon Ball, #1)
  • ハイキュー!! 1 日向と影山 [Haikyū!! 1 Hinata to Kageyama]
  • Boredom (Death Note, #1)
  • 暗殺教室 1 [Ansatsu Kyoushitsu 1] (Assassination Classroom, #1)
  • Bleach, Volume 15
  • Naruto, Vol. 11: Impassioned Efforts (Naruto, #11)
  • Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 (Fullmetal Alchemist, #1)
  • Naruto, Vol. 01: Uzumaki Naruto (Naruto, #1)
  • Attack on Titan, Vol. 2 (Attack on Titan, #2)
  • Reborn! Vol. 01: Reborn Arrives! (Reborn!, #1)
  • One Piece, Volume 1: Romance Dawn
  • Black Butler, Vol. 2 (Black Butler, #2)
  • 鬼滅の刃 1 [Kimetsu no Yaiba 1]
  • One Piece, Volume 8: I Won't Die
  • Fairy Tail, Vol. 01 (Fairy Tail, #1)
  • 約束のネバーランド 1 [Yakusoku no Neverland 1]
  • Bleach, Volume 01
Yoshihiro Togashi (see also 冨樫 義博) is a manga artist. Credited in Chinese translations as Fu Jian Yi Bo.

He began drawing manga at an early age; while he attended college, the publisher Shueisha recognized his talent. Togashi has authored numerous manga series in different genres during the past three decades. He is perhaps best known for writing and illustrating the YuYu Hakusho and Hunter × Hunte

Hunter × Hunter (1 - 10 of 37 books)
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 02 (Hunter x Hunter, #2)
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 03 (Hunter x Hunter, #3)
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 04 (Hunter x Hunter, #4)
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 05 (Hunter x Hunter, #5)
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 06 (Hunter x Hunter, #6)
  • Hunter X Hunter, tome 07
  • Hunter X Hunter, tome 08
  • Hunter X Hunter, tome 09
  • Hunter X Hunter, tome 10
  • Hunter x Hunter, Vol. 11 (Hunter x Hunter, #11)

News & Interviews