Start by marking “Evolutionary Witchcraft” as Want to Read:
Evolutionary Witchcraft

Evolutionary Witchcraft

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  877 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
A learned and serious manual to Witchcraft for the mature practitioner, by one of the craft's leading teachers.
Published October 6th 2005 by TarcherPerigee (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Evolutionary Witchcraft, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evolutionary Witchcraft

Jody Mena
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
A really intriguing book. Coyle uses her own life experiences to impart the lore and practices of Feri Tradition. She seems to be a very interesting person, she has had so many strange and varied life experiences that I think there is a lot to be learned from her words. I think of this as a sort of 'self-help' book for the metaphysically inclined. Absorb and use much of the info in this book and you're sure to get to know yourself better and have tools to improve your inner and outer life. Even ...more
Daniel
Aug 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommended to Daniel by: Meganne
This was very much one woman's view of the Feri Tradition as seen through her experiences with Reclaiming, Sufism, and various other traditions. What I found most interesting was seeing how a person can create their own mythos to support their personality -- the author or her fans might argue with me on this point, but I think I was fairly open-minded in reading this.

Were I to choose a book on the religion myself, I'd err toward something more historical and broad. But this is an almost gnostic
Dec 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: witches, heathens, pagans, feminists, seekers, thinkers
Recommended to Laura by: oodles of folks
This is a brilliant book that focuses less on learning about the cycles of the moon or season (which are usually in pagan books limited to the English view anyway) but more on the evolution of self - daily practice, emotional and even physical growth. I finished the book and right away began recording some of the meditations so that I can do them properly.
Dean
May 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All Pagans
One of the best pagan authors in the field,this is one to watch. I would reccomend this to anyone who likes to read about the craft by someone who has given it some real thought.
Steve Cran
Sep 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
THe Evolving Craft of Faerie

This is definitely not a book of rituals or spells, this is a book that is all about working on your self. Feri Witchcraft is not Wicca by any stretch of the imagination . The theology is different as is the method of circle casting.
T THorn Coyle who reports that she grew up catholic has been rather eclectic herself. Having studied Kabballah, Sufism, Gurdjief philosophy in addition to Feri she has a lot to offer in her teaching. The founders of Feri Craft were wide ve
Marshall
Oct 01, 2008 rated it it was ok
A book on Witchcraft, in the Feri Tradition, for experienced practitioners. I saw her speak at a Pagan conference, and was surprised by how much what she said resonated with me, so I bought this book. It seemed like she integrated so many subjects into her practice. Indeed, this book touches on everything imaginable--Zen, Sufi, Judaism, Christianity, Tarot, utilizing poetry, dance, love, sex, ritual, art, meditation, and covering dozens of topics, including forgiveness, communication, pride, pas ...more
Diana
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it
Evolutionary Witchcraft by Thorn Coyle is packed with suggestions and exercises. The witchcraft she describes is Feri, but she brings all of her spiritual journey to this book including Reclaiming. Even though the focus is Feri numerous exercises are relevant for many Pagans and magically minded individuals. Even though it is presented as an introduction this book can be relevant even for intermediate practioners of the craft. Evolutionary Witchcraft is designed to be a journey to self and whole ...more
Althea
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this, and I've come back to it more than once hoping to get more out of it. But on a personal level the author just feels too tense and tightly wound and rigid. As a result, a lot of what she's trying to say just doesn't ring true to me. On the one hand, I know that I'm basically just projecting here. But when Starhawk (whatever drawbacks she may have) talks about experiencing ecstasy and union with the divine, I believe her. When Coyle does I just can't.
J Gadbois
Oct 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was pleased by the lush descriptions and informative prose in this book. The Feri Tradition of witchcraft is well represented here. The several variations between British Wicca and Feri are abundantly made clear in "Evolutionary Witchcraft" and IMO, both Traditions are well served by this volume.

As a primer before Initiation into Feri or as a teaching manual for the solo practitioner I highly recommend this book.
Christopher D
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-to-live-by
The gold standard of instruction of Morningstar line of the Feri Tradition of Witchcraft. It definitely isn't for beginners.
Allyson
Sep 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book changed my life! I turn to it often for exercises and meditations.
Ron Spolar
May 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Coyle misrepresents this work as describing the Feri Tradition. Comparing what is written here with works by Cora and Victor Anderson reveal she has taken many liberties. Coyle also directs this work intentionally towards women only. Her devotional dances are confusing. As I finish this book I'm left wondering just what this is. She doesn't say. Whether this hodgepodge is good or not, I don't know. Perhaps this summarizes her practice and what she has learned over the years? Who knows?
Carla
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
The title is completely misleading. I found this book on an online list of recommended witchcraft books, should have researched further. This is not witchcraft. It's more like a make believe idea a guy who supposivly was all these different races who just happened to learn various sacred things from people... give me a break. The title should be " Introduction to Feri Make-believe". Completely disappointed. Research Victor Anderson before purchasing or reading.
Tepintzin
Oct 11, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: pagan
I admire T. Thorn Coyle, but this book didn't really speak to me. She and I have had a similar religious journey, and we're at different places in it. I found "Evolutionary Witchcraft" to be more of a mystical self-help book than anything religious. There's a lot of self-empowerment but very little in the way of how to practice, what holidays can be observed and the trappings of how to live one's faith. I need to compare it to "The Spiral Dance" which I know isn't my path, but which I remember a ...more
David
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes, a book just smacks you so hard that you can't ignore what it says. It's been a long time since I've read a Pagan press book and really thought, "damn, I couldn't agree more." This is a book that I suspect I'll be reading repeatedly and working with - and, already, it has done more to change the path I'm walking than any one force in the last 20 years. Your experience might vary, but I feel like I came home reading this.
Dawn Albright
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan
One of the best pagan books I've ever read. "Mature" is exactly the word I would use to describe it; unlike many other books describing spells for things like finding love partners, this book mostly concentrates on being a better person, more in tune with yourself and the world. When discussing West/Water spells, she talks about compassion and doing good in the world instead of lighting pink candles. If you think Witchcraft is for teenyboppers, this is the book to correct that impression.
Sable
Aug 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think this is one of the best how-tos written on Witchcraft in recent years. Thorn lays out an experiential Craft grounded in the Feri tradition, and her work is outstanding. I am adding it to my recommended reading list for my students and I referenced it in my own book "The Witch's Eight Paths of Power." Even veteran Witches can learn a thing or two if they don't come from the Feri tradition. Outstanding!
Colleen
May 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pagan-nonfiction
This book was so inspiring! I had a lot of "aha!" moments, and there were a number of times I found myself really resonating with the text. It's interesting how much I have in common with the Feri tradition (and yet how much I don't). Some of the exercises, like the chakra clearing exercise, have been really useful lately. Now I will definitely be reading Thorn's other books.
Davin Raincloud
Aug 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is not an easy read, because it's packed full of things that challenge you to grow. It's not a book of spells or curses, but rather a book about personal growth. It is very orientated around the Feri Tradition of Witchcraft. I call it "Witch-Fu" because it's like a martial art for the spirit. I highly recommend for advanced witches.
Rena Sherwood
One of the worst books I've ever read on any topic whatsoever. The photographs are ludicrous. All they consist of is the author in ridiculous poses. The prose meanders pointlessly. How did this get published? What a waste of money!
Andrea
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book. I've been a fan of Thorn for a long time, and I've also had this book sitting on my shelf for a long time, waiting for when I was ready. I think I'll be going back and doing the work after I've had some time to digest and review this book for my website.
Susan
Feb 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So far, so good! Coyle is very good at understanding where the "average" (if there is such a thing!) Feri practicioner comes from initially. I really like Elemental Castings, her podcast, and she is a wonderful teacher online and in person.
Caroline W
Feb 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Though Feri is not my thing, Coyle creates a wonderful exploration of the self through a journey of spirituality. She has truly embodied what it means to do "The Great Work" of self healing and growth. I already know a few people who would enjoy reading thus.
Regina Hunter
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Gave only 2 good things and then it shows how book misses the point of paganism.
Anita
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I just ordered this book, used, from an Amazon seller. Can't wait to read it!
Jaina Bee
Oct 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: useful
Great information in here, however it may be the design of the book itself that makes this difficult to read.
Tracey Ledel
Oct 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding! Thorn is an incredible teacher.
Cinnimini
Sep 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: wiccan, owned
Lots of interesting exercises within. Also full of insights and tidbits from her own life and practice.
Angella
Apr 19, 2008 is currently reading it
Lost it then found it agian, but already knee deep in books I'm reading I'll get back to it
  • The Twelve Wild Swans: A Journey to the Realm of Magic, Healing, and Action
  • The Urban Primitive: Paganism in the Concrete Jungle
  • Hedge Witch: A Guide to Solitary Witchcraft
  • Earth Magic: A Book of Shadows for Positive Witches
  • The Craft: A Witch's Book of Shadows
  • The Holy Book of Women's Mysteries: Feminist Witchcraft, Goddess Rituals, Spellcasting and Other Womanly Arts
T. Thorn Coyle writes books, drinks tea, and agitates for justice.

Author of the novel "Like Water," the story collections "Alighting on His Shoulders," and “Break Apart the Stone,” she has also written multiple non-fiction books including "Sigil Magic for Writers, Artists & Other Creatives," and "Evolutionary Witchcraft." Thorn's work appears in many anthologies, magazines, and collections. Sh
More about T. Thorn Coyle...

“Spirituality is not just about having a flash of insight or epiphany; it is about building a foundation that will change you inside and out.” 0 likes