Start by marking “What Will Hatch?” as Want to Read:
What Will Hatch?

What Will Hatch?

Jelly, jiggly.What will hatch? Wiggly, squiggly. . . tadpole.What is more exciting than waiting for an egg to hatch? Creatures of all varieties begin inside an egg-and those eggs also come in all shapes and sizes. From a squiggly tadpole to fuzzy robin to a leathery platypus, this charming text and unique illustrations show eight different animals as they begin life. With ...more
Published February 12th 2013 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published February 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about What Will Hatch?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Will Hatch?

Start your review of What Will Hatch?
KC
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whose egg is that belong to? Turn the page and you shall see!
Katie
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a sweet book for toddlers this Spring!

What a nice surprise to see a picture book illustrated by Susie Ghahremani on the library's new book shelves! I have some of her artwork at home!
Tegan
Another great story about figuring out what type of eggs they are and what will be in them! The kids were particularly excited about the tadpoles.
Baby Bookworm
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: our-reviews

Hello everyone! Today, our book was What Will Hatch?, written by Jennifer Ward and illustrated by Susie Ghahremani. This peek-through book takes a look at all the different creatures that lay and hatch from eggs, called oviparous animals. Each page features an egg and a few short rhyming words to describe the creature inside, with the animal’s reveal on the next page (there is also a small peek
Crickets
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is such a fun book for my little nephew!! I love the cut outs and the educational aspect, too!
Dana
Feb 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Both of my girls age 1 & 7 adore this picture book! ...more
Janet
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great picture book focused on what animal will hatch from an egg. Eight oviparous animals are illustrated using a heavy stock paper. Each animal is given a double page spread illustration showing the nest of eggs and the following two page spread depict the animal that hatches from the egg. On the pages depicting the nest there are die cuts of the eggs. Very engaging title and overall a very well designed book.
Ruth Ann
Using gouache paint on wood for the illustrations, illustrator Susie Ghahremani also hand-lettered each word in this almost-rhyming picture book depiction of the eggs of several creatures in their natural habitats:
Caterpillar
Sea turtle
Tadpole
Crocodile
Goldfinch
Penguin
Robin
Platypus
Information about each oviparous animal in the back.
Dzana
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: spring-ecce-2115
What will hatch is a great book! It talks about different types of animals that lay eggs. Fish, birds, reptile and monotreme all lay eggs. Teachers can use this book to teach children about different types of eggs and where they come from.
Jenn
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb-2020
This is just the right amount of introduction to eggs and animals for the littlest of readers. Appreciate the additional information for especially curious minds at the end as a starting place for deeper dives.
Peacegal
May 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very cool, handmade-style illustrations.
Diane
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Wonderful illustrations and content. I love the holes (eggs) cut into the images. My favorite is the crocodile. Clever, creative and charming.
Chelsea
Sep 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great way to educate and engage children. This book enabled the reader to ask children what they thought was going to hatch and, in return, the children loved seeing if what they guessed was correct or not. I would absolutely read this book during story time again.

Read during Toddler Time on September 13th, 2017.
Miss Sarah
Sep 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A simple toddler and up book where different eggs are show and the reader is asked to guest what type of animal it is. Nice nonfiction companion at end about the eggs.
Shanaz
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I just read this to my youngest son and he loved it! Gorgeous book that I will treasure and pass down to my grandchildren one day. (Also great as a birthday or baby shower gift)
Christine Grant
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: storytime
Guess game about which animals hatch from which eggs. Variety of animals appear in this book including a platypus. Information about animals appear in the back.

Facebook Live 2020
Ammie
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Jennifer Ward is another new to us author that we enjoy. My 9 year old was excited to know all the answers due to learning so much about eggs recently. My 3 yr old loves the cut outs.
Eliot Reads
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVE!
Kari Percival
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
The beautiful illustrations by Susie Ghahremani caught my eye first, and the quick-to-read, curiosity-teasing riddles about the mystery identity of the eggs enchanted my kids. Timely for spring. Besides, who can resist those peek-a-boo windows?
Tasha
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This simple little book builds tension through the use of a guessing game and the wonder of waiting for an egg to hatch. On one page, the habitat and a little description of the eggs are given, with the question of “What will hatch?” Take a guess, turn the page and find out the answer. There are lots of surprises along the way. The clever use of die cuts in the pages that peek through in egg-shaped holes adds to the fun.

Eight different animals are shown here with basic information. Nicely, there
Jim Erekson
Oct 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Ward's sense of rhythm for this rhyming text was pretty good. I didn't need it to rhyme, but not having it be that same sing-songy cadence showed some skill and control on her part.

The painted-on-wood illustrations were beautiful to look at with the texture showing through, and Ghahremani's design sense. She actually gets the design credit for the book in the front matter.

The cutouts were fun, but not as meaningful as in some other books, so I would say Ghahremani just wanted to try it. In a b
Cemeread
May 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, storytime
Illustrations showing the environment and the nest will give readers a clue to what animal will hatch. Each nest has at least one die cut egg, but some are easier to spot than others just as some animals will be guessed immediately and others are more difficult. (bird, frog, platypus) The book has simple text with just a few words before the refrain, "What will hatch?" and a few before the animal's name. The end pages include information about the time in egg, where the nest is located, how many ...more
Barbara
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
With gouache artwork on wood featuring die-cuts the size of various eggs, this engaging book teaches young readers about birth. From a "sandy ball" (unpaged) emerge sea turtles while robins emerge from an egg that is "oval, blue" (unpaged). The rhyming text and the repetitive question piques readers' interest as they wonder exactly what is going to emerge from those seven different eggs. Back matter includes a page describing oviparous animals with information about how long each animal spends i ...more
Christy Valyou
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful, engaging book for the kinder-aged crowd! Children will love running their fingers over the cutouts as they guess which animal will hatch from its egg on the next page! A fun book that teaches true information in a playful way. Love how the author limited her use of words but still conveys the important information. A great mentor text for kinders as they write informational texts, too!
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Clever cutout and earth tones makes this story a wonderful read for little ones. Adjectives and location are given before the question, "What will hatch?" It's a guessing game type book, but with the muted colors it's beautifully laid back and calming.

Theme: Bacon & Eggs
Additional themes: Babies, Eggs, Animals

Reviewed from a library copy.
Amanda
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
The rhythm was a bit uneven--this is the only reason I didn't give it 5 stars--but I loved the die-cut illustrations, the not your everyday choice of animals, and the learning factor. Simple, beautiful, graphic, excellent book.
Mary
A book to learn about oviparous animals and guessing what will hatch out of each egg. The illustrations blend from one page to the next with the help of cut-outs and images that look one way on one page and another page on the next. Great for young children and dialogic reading!
Carol
Feb 21, 2014 rated it liked it
A cute and clever concept book with minimal text. Youngsters will love the guessing game as they see each group of eggs in their natural setting. Then they can turn the page to see if they were correct with their guess. Great illustrations!
Meghan Douglas
Beautiful die cut illustrations by Susie Ghahremani make this a worthwhile story to share with young biologists. The story itself struggles with awkward and forced rhymes ("small, leathery/ What will hatch?/ not at all feathery/ platypus!"), which is a shame, as it limits enjoyment.
Cassie
Rhyming text introduces readers to many types of eggs laid by different animals using cut out pages to reveal who will hatch. A wonderful science-related book for even the youngest of readers. This book includes a section for additional information on each animal for older readers.

• Woke Baby
  • Hair Love
  • Baby Loves Aerospace Engineering!
  • Yoga Bug: Simple Poses for Little Ones
  • ABeCedarios: Mexican Folk Art ABCs in English and Spanish
  • Yoga Whale: Simple Poses for Little Ones
  • I Like Myself!
  • Nothing Rhymes with Orange
  • Let's Say Hi to Friends Who Fly!
  • Touch the Brightest Star
  • Little You
  • Big Red Barn
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • Egg