Start by marking “Evil Eye: Four Novellas of Love Gone Wrong” as Want to Read:
Evil Eye: Four Novellas of Love Gone Wrong

Evil Eye: Four Novellas of Love Gone Wrong

Joyce Carol Oates is one of the most prominent writers of her generation, and she is fearless when exploring the most disturbing corners of human nature. In Evil Eye, Oates offers four chilling tales of love gone horribly wrong, showing the lengths people will go to find love, keep it, and sometimes end it.

In "Evil Eye," we meet Mariana, the young 4th wife of a prominent i
Published September 3rd 2013 by Mysterious Press

To ask other readers questions about Evil Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Evil Eye

Gala
Aug 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: libros-2018, siglo-xx
3.5/5
El libro reúne cuatro nouvelles, de las que dos me gustaron mucho (sobre todo una, la que da nombre al título), mientras que las dos restantes no tanto. "Tan cerca en todo momento siempre" y "La plataforma" son, para mí, las que mejor logran crear esa atmósfera tan particular de la que habla la crítica general a Oates. "Mal de ojo" y "La ejecución", más alla de que están muy bien escritas como todo el libro, no llegaron a interesarme tanto como las otras dos nouvelles mencionadas. La que ti
Freesiab (Bookish Review)
Jan 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge JCO fan and I generally compare her books to her other works because they are unique. This group of stories was less creepy (?) than I was expecting but gripping anyway. The first few stories felt very different than her style. The first story would be a great novella, the second (if love to see what Jonathan Carroll would do) was stunning. The third, while being intensely good, I didn't understand the end and the last was a tad generic. Thus the 4 stars.
thewanderingjew
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A prolific writer, her fans will love this latest work. Her style of writing uses no contrivances to make her point. The plots are simple, but they take the imagination places that one does not see coming, that one does not expect. Oates does not exaggerate ideas to grab your interest, she merely weaves a tale that, while plausible, is also almost unbearable, bordering on revolting and reprehensible sometimes, and yet, she makes it possible to read the stories without getting up and tossing the ...more
Violely
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Este libro exuda maestría literaria en su máxima expresión. Creo que algunas de estas historias contadas por alguien más no pasaría de ser fofas, los temas de sumisión y abuso que aborda son tan habituales, tan repetidos y recurrentes ahora que los podemos hablar. Con ese material ella genera una trama atrapante, con recursos literarios que enriquecen el recorrido.
La idealización del amor en todas sus formas, ese es el hilo conductor de estas cuatro nouvelles. La dañina valoración que a las muj
Francisco
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
Qué gran libro! Algunas nouvelles me gustaron más que otras, pero me metí de lleno en los mundos que creó. Muy buenos los personajes, su forma de narrar, y sobre todo, genial la traducción.
Connie
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories, horror
Each of these four novellas features an insecure woman, and a manipulative man who has an inner creepy side to him. "So Near...Any Time...Always" shows a shy teenage girl who meets a man in his twenties. At first she is flattered by his attention, but then he is always lurking in the shadows with his camera...and worse. In "The Execution," a male college student plots to kill his father, and his overprotective mother acts to shield her son from the law. "The Flatbed" involves a woman who had a " ...more
H.A. Leuschel
Jan 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Four dark and gripping novellas that touched on a variety of themes (domestic violence, stalking, child abuse) with subtlety and honesty.
Julie Bryant
Oct 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok so I liked the first story, Evil Eye, but I had to read it again because I thought I missed something. The eye is definitely a talisman, but I didn't understand why she saw the ex wife without an eye but the husband didn't seem to. The thing I took away from the story is that men don't always turn out the way you think and a man who goes through wives like that doesn't really care about any of them. I didn't like the stalker story because it wasn't that exciting. The story about the whiny ric ...more
Juan Nalerio
Jun 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El libro se compone de 4 nouvelles con las relaciones humanas y sobre todo el amor, como eje.
Pero a no pensar que es un amor de folletín; es un amor lateral, crudo y duro.
Me enganché con las 4 historias y quería seguir leyéndolas, devorando páginas.
Muy buena lectura. Recomendado.
Blair
Subtitled 'Four Novellas of Love Gone Wrong', Evil Eye is a compact collection of stories which delivers exactly what it suggests: tales of romantic or familial love with a macabre edge. The beginning of the first story reminded me immediately of Angela Carter's superb The Bloody Chamber, prompting me to start reading Evil Eye soon after I bought it (at 99p in one of the Kindle Daily Deals).

'Evil Eye' is a promising gothic tale about a young woman, her much-older new husband (she's his fourth w
Joe
Jun 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened-to
I've previously read a few of Joyce Carol Oates' short stories that were sprinkled throughout various horror anthologies and I had always been impressed by her work. "Evil Eye" is no exception.

The first story is about the young fourth wife of a verbally abusive older man. The first wife comes to visit and that's when things really take a turn. There's an eye talisman in the house and the ex-wife is missing an eye...and I honestly didn't really understand where this one was going. Whether the ex-
Shawn Leslie Dixon
Jun 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Absolutely incredible. Every story is utterly engulfing and thrilling, at times terrifying and yet unstoppable. So often the urge to reach in and demand the trouble away from the victim, impending victim, the survivor.
Fluid and flowing, impossible to start a story without finishing it.
Evil Eye - The thick anxious air builds until the wickedly jarring conclusion rips expectation to shreds. Tremendous.
So Near Any Time Always - Rolling like a storm, invoking the helpless dread of observer until the
Valerie Zink
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
JCO is so talented. These stories are twisted and creepy and sadly, so realistic . JCO as always gives you plenty to think about.
gorecki
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Daniela Ramírez Sampelayo
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Una autora de la que definitivamente quiero leer más y en quién confío tendrá muchos más relatos igual de reales y oscuros. Las historias te envuelven, te invitan a cuestionarte como mujer y como persona acerca de las relaciones y lo que realmente representa el "amor". Se presentan distintos retratos de mujeres, lo que tienen en común es que son mujeres débiles o vulnerables y que se enfrentan a una figura (parejas, hijos, amantes) que las manipula y las pone en una posición complicada. Como lec ...more
Maude
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: roman-ailleurs
4,5 ⭐ vraiment la reine des lectures malaisantes. 4 nouvelles intrigantes et oppressantes. vite, une lecture douce pour contrebalancer... ...more
Amy Prosenjak
As advertised, creepy stories...
Robert
Dec 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Evil Eye, a collection of four novellas by Joyce Carol Oates, is a study in the tricky malice of egotists, stalkers, killers, and child molesters. Are you surprised? This is Joyce Carol Oates we’re talking about. In her persistent fictional scenarios over many years a young girl (not always, but usually) is brutalized and exploited by males.

In this collection, three of the novellas are related from the young woman’s point of view. To a certain extent, this makes their predators opaque, but Oate
Jeremy
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing

A decade ago I plowed through several books of O. Henry Award-winning short stories, and the ones that invariably snared my attention were written by Joyce Carol Oates. I was especially curious how each would end.

The appeal of these stories was the looming sense of darkness and suspense, part and parcel of the American Gothic genre, perhaps in the vein of Flannery O'Connor but without Catholic fanaticism fueling the narratives.

“Evil Eye: Four Novellas of Love Gone Wrong" explores dysfunctional
Sprout117
I am new to Joyce Carol Oates...though I have always meant to introduce myself to her writing, I've only done so now.

What I found in her writing is that yes, these are stories of love but not just the love relationship between a man and woman, but also an exploration between a parent and child, a young girl and a maniac, and a woman and her abuser...some may call the stories dark. They are dark and disturbing but when you examine why they are considered so it is because each of us can actually r
Pamela Scott
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
EVIL EYE: I didn’t think this was a very good tale. I liked some aspects of it. I like the way JCO examined the relationship between the husband and his first and most recent wife. I like the fact the husband was quite domineering and abusive. The rest of the novella was quite weak. I didn’t understand what big secret the new wife discovered that almost cost her sanity. JCO never makes this quite clear so I found the tale confusing overall. Did the new wife hallucinate that the first wife had an ...more
Marjorie
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As the sub-title says, these are four novellas of love gone wrong. The first novella, “Evil Eye”, focuses on a nazar, which is a talisman used to ward off the evil eye. Mariana is a shy, timid young woman who is the newly wedded fourth wife of Austin Mohr. Austin is 25 years old than Mariana and his adoration of her seems to be wearing off and his impatience growing. He announces that his first wife, Ines, will be coming to visit. Austin and Ines have a terrible secret that Ines wishes to confid ...more
Hayley
Jul 07, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Evil Eye
I didn't quite get this ones ending. I'm not sure if I just wasn't concentrating while reading it and missed a key bit, or if it was just not explained well enough for me, but I did like the beginning and the unwinding story with so much intrigue and potential.

So Near Anytime Always
Feel sorry for Desmond, as I think there was another underlying issue then what was actually going on. The suspense built and things were well described.

The Execution
It goes into such detail it was quite uncom
Porkpie
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Four genuinely disturbing and disarming novellas that go by very quickly (I read this book in under 24 hours.) JCO has a way with introducing deeply traumatized states in a very offhand, everyday, "I know that person!" kind of way.

Each story has it's own voice and carries its own weight. All are believable, tight, twisted and haunting.

A quick read, but one of the best books I've read so far in 2013. Made me want to read her entire catalog after I was done.
Alexandra
Aug 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
I really was excited to read this book. I love anything creepy, weird etc...I don't have any huge reason to explain why I didn't like it other than to me it was boring. The first story ( the title story ) felt incomplete. I know they were short stories but the other 3 had some kind of ending where I felt Evil Eye just fell off. Maybe I'm not deep enough to get whatever was going on with this book but I wish I hadn't bought it. My opinion only obviously.
Becky
Jul 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I listened to this book of 4 short stories at work on a playback player from the library. I really enjoyed stories 2 & 3 but 1 and 4 were just ok to me & they ended so abruptly i thought there was something wrong with the player. 1 & 4 were still good enough for this book to earn a solid 4 stars though.
Vivienne Strauss
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Joyce doesn't fail to deliver on these four gems. NOT for the faint at heart, the stories do become progressively harsh, I found myself reading more slowly as the I went from story to story. I repeat - not for the faint at heart, I won't be passing this one along because I don't want to be held responsible.
Rosemary Benson
Apr 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Evil Eye can be split up into four delicious experiences, each a meal on its own. Of course Oates offers another delectable assortment of characters, and her language is savory, but I need to credit the wonderful narrators: Donna Postel, Luci Christian, Chris Patton, and Tamara Marston. Let the storytellers take you; it will be hard to pause once the suspense builds.
Denise Soria
Feb 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's the first time I read this author and I can see why people love her... I will definitely read more of her books! I especially liked the first and fourth stories of this book; I couldn’t stop reading until I finished them!
Steph (loves water)
Jul 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Very, very dark...I love Ms. Oates, but I feel like I've been on a JCO marathon, and there is nothing light about this woman :) Taking a short break from her, but I'll get back to it. She is one of my two favorite authors.
  • Rise
  • The Cambridge Companion to Gothic Fiction
  • Small Change
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2013
  • The Peripatetic Coffin and Other Stories
Joyce Carol Oates is a recipient of the National Book Award and the PEN/Malamud Award for Excellence in Short Fiction. She is also the recipient of the 2005 Prix Femina for The Falls. She is the Roger S. Berlind Distinguished Professor of the Humanities at Princeton University, and she has been a member of the American Academy of Arts and Letters since 1978. Pseudonyms ... Rosamond Smith and Laure ...more