Start by marking “Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #0.5)

Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty 0.5)

3.99  ·  Rating details ·  888 Ratings  ·  130 Reviews
Dear Author,
He's been in my life for two decades. Don't Ask Don't Tell ended too late for us as we were months from retirement. We spent so much of our lives in the closet, hiding our love that I worry if we can hold it together when we're out. I'm scared of losing him. For me, he's the hottest thing I've ever seen still and I know he could get guys half my age without try
Published June 4th 2012 by M/M Romance Group @ Goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Beyond Duty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond Duty

Ingela
Written May 13, 2015

3.4 Stars - A good freebie novella. Worth to pick up

We talked about another book (Plan B - very good NA) by the author and Sofia reminded me about. I was in a wavering mood about which book I wanted to start reading, so this shorty became perfect.

Beyond Duty is a very good, but way too short, MM Romance Group freebie. I feel I need to read more from S.J.D. Peterson shelfs - even if BDSM or secret playrooms really isn't my thing. The writing and feeling here were great and a f
Otila
Dec 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Two hot marines that are into BDSM, what's not to like?

I need more Mac and Gunny! It's a good thing I already have the full length novel.
Virginia
description

I'm biased since I chose the photo and prompt but I knew this author wouldn't let our guys down! Great short. Hot, sexy, 40+ year old military guys trying to figure out their future post don't ask don't tell. Loved the POV the story was in. I felt Gunny's anxiety about him and Mac's future. Mac knows Gunny so well and knew something was wrong. The bdsm scene was perfect for them and fit. I could completely see how these guys could be best friends and a couple. Their personalities obviously compl
Heather C
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
OMG! I LOVED THIS!!

♦ Loved Gunny's voice: the big, bad, insecure Marine that takes no shit from anyone, but turns to mush for his best friend
♦ Loved the dirty talk: big, muscular, manly men explicitly vocalizing what they wanna do to each other
♦ Loved the kinky sex: the door sex, the bondage, the cock ring, the blindfold and the flogger
♦ Loved the ending: so sweet that Gunny and Mac will finally get their HEA after 22 years
♦ Loved that it fit perfectly with the prompt and picture

Yes, longer
Lena♥Ribka
Dec 16, 2013 rated it really liked it

Love this one!

This short novella has everything I need.

A good story.

An interesting POV.

Great main characters.

Fantastic chemistry between them.

Hot sex scenes.

The promising writing.

What do I need else? EXACTLY - I need more!

It is why I added all books of S.J.D. Peterson to my TBR. ;)

Recommended.
Bev
Absolutely loved this one 5 stars and

Freebie from the 2012 'Love Is Always Write' event here on Goodreads, and as I haven't read a Jo Peterson tale I didn't like, downloaded it and well, am sooo glad I did!! Gunny and Mac are two long serving Marines pre DADT, and have obviously kept their relationship a secret, in fact they've kept the secret so well that they are shortly due to retire with no-one any the wiser.

This little novella is about how Gunny thinks Mac will react to the imminent repea
Lenore
3.5 stars.

I liked Gunny. I understood him, his hopes, his insecurities. I can't say the same about Mac but, from what I got through Gunny and by the way he Domed Gunny he came across like a caring partner.

The mild BDSM session was fitting and well delivered. Very tender and emotional. I enjoyed being in Gunny's head in that scene. I believed him when he said Mac understood him, gave him exactly what he wanted, when he wanted it, how he wanted it.

I had some minor issues with the use of tenses but
Sheri
Oct 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Can't. Stop.
I finished this novella just before lights out last night...and couldn't stop dreaming about them. I woke up with Gunny & Mac on the brain.
And...
I. Want. More.

The story is just like they boys...solid, strong & sexy.
Loved the BDSM scene...it was perfect!
28 pages done right.

*4.5 stars*
¸. • * ° *❧Gwendolyn❧•°**★❧ •°**★
Mac & Gunny ...Wow...Sweet!

Pure Unadulterated BDSM, Military, Lov'in Sweetness...

The Novelette ~Beautiful! Hopelessly Romantic Swoon Worthy

My 1st version...28 pages of stomp my feet madness. Short books are never my fav, so I tend to stay away from ' Love Always Writes' ...But, this is one of my favorite writer's...so I could NOT resist. I wanted more soooo bad...

Now I have my hands on this!

Now The Novel!

Needless to say, I dropped everything I was reading, put those books on pause, and ope
MishyJo
Dec 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Twenty-two years I've loved you and I want to spend the rest of my life with you as my best friend, my boy, my lover, and my husband.

Although Gunny and Mac have been exclusive FWB for years, now that DADT has been repealed, Gunny worries that Mac will decide to look for something new. This short story had it all. Hot sex, a bit of BDSM, two military men, a bit of angst and a moment of romance sweet enough to turn me into a pile of warm melty goo.
A Girl Has No Name

I read the full novel that has been published after this short and while I enjoyed it, I wasn't able to feel attachted to Mac and Gunny. I tried reading this short story, which is bascially the beginning of the longer book, trying to get a better understanding for the characters. Unfortunately, it didn't work better than the longer version.

The full review for the longer version can be found here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to JustJen "Miss Conduct" by: Heather C
Shelves: mm, freebies, ebook, bdsm-d-s
I loved this story from the get go. The picture really sets the mood and I mentally referenced it throughout the entire story. Gunny and Mac are smoking hot and the one bdsm scene was scorching. I am so glad these two didn't let their communication breakdown go on for very long. I hate that this was a short story, because I really wanted more of these Marines.
Gigi
Jul 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Gigi by: Bev
Loved it! Super sweet and HOT military men about to retire. One is afraid that their 10 year relationship is about to end now that they won't have to hide behind DADT. The other has a different idea...
Beck
I can be fairly harsh on short stories but I don't think I can find a single negative thing to say about this one. The plot wasn't cluttered by extraneous characters or angst. The back story was clear, concise, succinct & allowed the reader to engage with the characters. The BDSM was beautifully portrayed even tho' most of it was alluded to rather than described in excruciating detail. In short (pun intended) this was wonderful & wonderfully written. Highly recommended.
Susan
Jun 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-read, z-2012
The MCs in this short story were incredibly sexy. I love stories about established couples (which they were in my mind despite Gunny's doubts!). This was one of my favourite prompts from Love is Always Write and the story was perfect for it.
Loederkoningin
Nothing new, but an okay freebie.
Emma Sea
Jun 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bdsm, military, free-read
Nice story: I'd give the story itself three stars, but an extra star for being a freebie. The prompt photo is astoundingly hot.
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group, Love Is Always Write: Volume One.

This was sweet and hot and just right. It ended well and right where it made sense to end, but I'd love an epilogue (view spoiler). The author did a great job incorporating the picture, even explained the matching tattoos!
MLE
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
A beautiful and mature love story. Well developed, and written especially for a short story. The bondage elements, while not usually my cup of tea, worked well with the characters involved, and it was nice to see the submissive partner who was so strong, and capable, and clearly choosing to take that role. No muddy questions of consent in this one.
Juls
Jun 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm
oh hell! This book was so effing beautiful!

Being in the Military and being gay was a hard feat but Gunny and Mac hid it well. Now with change on the horizon they can bring their love to the forefront.

I am so happy that despite the fact that this was a short story Gunny and Mac got their HEA.
Jo * Smut-Dickted *
I dearly loved this story. From the picture perfect picture to the great love between these two men. I loved the D/s implied and the way they were so comfortable with each other. I am going to go grab more books by this author STAT!!
Trisha Harrington
Great book about two marines who have been in a casual relationship for over twenty years. It had some BDSM in it, but it was tastefully done and did not leave me scarred for life. It was very sweet and the ending just made me smile.

Totally recommend this!!!
Sofia
Dec 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved being inside Gunny's mind.
Love the story.
Even though I'm not a big fan of bdsm, I liked this, could almost say I was touched.
Pixie Mmgoodbookreviews
Jun 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
4 1/2 Hearts

First published at MM Good Book Reviews

Gunnery Sergeant Gunther ‘Gunny’ Duchene & Macalister ‘Mac’ Jones are both Marines who are coming up for retirement, now DADT is two months from being repelled and it gives Gunny an added worry that Mac will now go looking elsewhere as he no longer has to hide.

Oh, SJD. give you a little prompt and two military men, and you pull up your big girl panties and come up with a right sparkling little gem. Gun
Serena Yates
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gay, bdsm-and-d-s
'Beyond Duty', a story set just before DADT got repealed, is a great portrait of a relationship between two seasoned Marines. Short but intense, it shows how the two men who are about to retire need to face the future, but don't know how.

Told from the perspective of Gunny, it shows all the insecurities and doubts that surface with the possibility of being a couple. The problem is, he never dared think of them as a couple, and while it was blatantly obvious to me that he is as deeply in love with
Julesmarie
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Adorable! I would never have anticipated using that adjective to describe a story about the men in the picture prompt, but this story was honestly adorable, and so, so sweet (um, and also HOT! whew!).

I loved both of the characters, and would love to have gotten to know them better, but what I was given was enough for me to genuinely like them and be rooting for them. Gunny's voice was perfect and I was incredibly impressed at how the author was able to make him believable both as a big, tough so
Breann
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Breann by: Mistral
This story was perfection from beginning to end. I loved every minute of it! It's usually really hard for me to rate such a short story. There never seems to be enough pages to make me really care about the characters and I often wonder if it's possible. Well, it is. Right here.

This book is free along with so many other wonderful books by wonderful authors from the M/M Romance group event Don't Read in the Closet.
Tami (synchro from BL)
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
3,5 stars.

It was a nice and engaging read about two marines shortly before retirement, just as DADT gets repealed.
They are between "friends with benefits" and "established couple of 20 years" - it was a curious mix, but it worked.

I found it a bit sappy and too sweet in some places, but it had a really strong beginning and the main characters were likable.

Wendy Ann
Loved, loved, loved this story! I have a thing for tough guys with a bit of vulnerability and this story was the perfect representation of that mix. Throw in a little bit of BDSM that can help both ground a guy and let him soar, and it’s a 5 star read for me (not to mention that it’s also free)!!! Awesome:)
Dreamspinner Press: Beyond Duty by SJD Peterson 1 13 Aug 02, 2013 06:59AM
  • Love on a Wing and a Prayer
  • Heartstrings
  • Hi, Honey
  • Delicious Sinn
It's been an amazing journey since DSP first contracted Lorcan's Desire in January 2011. I've published 2 free reads with the M/M Romance group, my back list is growing, met some great people and have made some amazing friends.
I'm still in shock that I'm listed among the many talented authors at Dreamspinner Press! The little voice in the back of my head is screaming, "You are so out of your leagu
More about S.J.D. Peterson...

Beyond Duty (3 books)
  • Beyond Duty (Beyond Duty, #1)
  • Mauled (Guards of Folsom, #4.5; Beyond Duty, #2)

“Whether black or white, male or female, active or reserve, gay, bisexual, or straight, we are all Marines. What we share in common goes deeper than any superficial differences.” 5 likes