Start by marking “Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster” as Want to Read:
Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster

Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster

He is called the Trickster, the Sly One. For eons, he has manipulated and played the gods against each other. Now the time has come to go beyond petty schemes and seize the most powerful throne in existence.

Based on the classic tales, Mike Vasich breathes new life into the most complex god in the Norse mythos.
Published June 5th 2012 by Createspace Independent Publishing Platform (first published June 3rd 2012)

Mike Vasich
Jun 05, 2012 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
I am foregoing the temptation to give my own book five stars even though I think it is five star material. Is this maturity and restraint? I hope not.

Orient
Sep 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: all Loki (Tom Hiddleston) fans
Almost everybody in my friends’ circle know that I have a hook for rough-tough, badass heroes/heroines. I can say for sure that I found a badass, naughty, evil, awful, disgusting, terrible, sly and really bad character-god in this short book. Did I like him? Yes! Did I enjoy reading about his adventures? Erm…the biggest part (the scheming, pranks and tricks were interesting and some even funny, but there were ones which I can describe as disgusting and pew). I did enjoy the never-ending fight be ...more
Wicked ♥  (Wickedly Bookish Reviews) aka Bat-Jess
Wickedly Bookish Reviews

I had lots of fun reading this book so I intend to have a good time with the review as well. I got my copy as a kindle freebie thanks to my Wigs telling me about the deal. Thanks Wigs!!!

This review is brought to you by the Godking himself! He is ever so excited to be involved in a review of a book that is about his absolute favorite subject... himself.

Let me start off by saying Mike Vasich has truly captured the unique flavor of Norse m
Wigs
Jun 17, 2012 rated it really liked it
Ahhh Loki, how I adore thee.

Here Vasich presents a collection of little short stories, both of classic mythology and original, about Loki and his doings. As the author put in his blog, the stories are "saucy," and I found myself saying out loud to my computer by story 3 "This is indeed saucy!"

I must admit I have never read any Norse mythology before, so by about story four I was going "WHAT THE SHIT?" I was, however, assured by my friend Jess that in fact these things do happen in the real stori
Megan
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DISCLAIMER: I love Loki and anything Loki related that being said there was absolutely no way that I wasn't NOT going to enjoy and like this book. That is all now on to the review:

Overall I really enjoyed this book. It was a collection of short stories about Loki and overall a quick read. Having only read some Norse mythology I recognized most of the stories in the story but liked the slight twists Vasich threw in and the witty repartee between the characters. While I love the character of Loki
Gabrielle
After reading Gaiman's "Norse Mythology", I did what any good book-junkie does: hunted down more books on the topic. With a title like "Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster", this was an easy sell for this long-time Loki fan (on that topic, I would like to say that the Marvel movie franchise has ruined my brains, because I can now only picture Thor and Loki as Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston...)

Loki is a very complex god. Clever and contrarian, taking pleasure in stirring the pot and ups
TL
Jul 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Original read 8/5 to 8-7-12
Re-read 2015 :)
---

A wonderful collection of short stories about our favorite Trickster God:) Loki is certainly one of the most fascinating characters in mythology, delighting in causing mischief/mayhem.

Before I read this book the first time (and before seeing the Thor movie).. I hadn't known much about Norse mythology at all. Just never thought about it really... After seeing the movie, I looked it up and was quite fascinated by it all. While I love Tom Hiddleston as
Jillian -always aspiring-
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Norse mythology fans
(Actual Rating: 3.5 stars)

In some respects, Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster fell a little short for me me due to my expectations. After having finished Mike Vasich's full-length novel Loki, I was eager to see what his short story collection about the trickster would entail. As I said in my review of Loki, I really adored Vasich's sympathetic take on Loki and wondered if the short stories of this collection would tie into the backstory of the character we had met in the novel.

Alas, the
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
Jun 10, 2012 marked it as to-read
Another Loki book by Mr. Vasich!

Naughty. Now why does that make me think at least a few of these stories will be of his love life? ;)

description
Jillyn
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook
First, I have to say, thanks for the free story!

This book is a collection of nine (I know it's in the title, hush) stories based on my personal favorite boat-rocker, Loki. I thought there was a nice balance of original myth & the author's own twists & additions.

I, originally, was thinking that this book was going to be four stars... Until I read the last two stories. In them, Mr. Vasich's creativity shines, & effectively leaves an imprint on your ideas about the misunderstood tricks
Angela
Jan 03, 2015 marked it as tbr-lost-interest  ·  review of another edition
3 January 2015: $0.00 FREE on Kindle
Daniella
Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster was a nice, decent read on a lazy day. Overall I found the tales interesting and entertaining enough. I liked Mr. Mike Vasich's narration, though I found some of the dialogues a tad bit tacky (like Sif's leek and onion analogy) and sometimes out of context (Loki's implied usage of "fuck"). The lack of character depth was expected, since this was really nothing more than a light read, but I think I would have appreciated the book more if I was presented a ...more
Rebecca
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another thrilling piece of writing from Mike Vasich, taken from the old legends of all the trouble Loki causes. Really brings this fascinating character who is full of facets to life for the reader. Especially in the Loki-horse escapade. Only flaw was the final piece dealing which put a spin on the rising of christianity which may disturb and even anger a few people who read it. Although I must admitt (even though it did not quite match the ending of the novel Loki) it is something his character ...more
Michelle (In Libris Veritas)
As anyone close to me knows I have a thing for tricksters or those who are considered the ‘bad guys’ in mythology, there is just something complex and alluring about a god/powerful being that spends their time playing pranks or hiding in the shadows. The bad thing about most of the mythology out there is that it doesn’t delve into the true personalities of these people and so you are left wondering why. Mike Vasich brings the Norse mythos to life with these nine enjoyable stories.

I think for any
Catherine
Jul 26, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this because of how much I enjoyed Mike Vasich's other book "Loki" and I must say that they are quite different in tone. The thing I liked about "Loki" was that it made him, maybe not exactly sympathetic, but you could certainly understand where his issues with the Aesir were born from and why he would behave in certain ways. In these short stories, it seems to be more a view of how he is generally portrayed, purely as a Trickster. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, I enjoyed the ...more
Jason Pettus
Mar 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
It's quite easy to describe the contents of Mike Vasich's new Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster, which is why today's review isn't very long; it's simply a series of stories about the notorious troublemaker of Scandinavian mythology, but with the dialogue updated to the style of Joss Whedon. As such, then, this is really quite a treat if you're able to get into the spirit of it all, and to understand that you're meant to put tongue firmly in cheek as you read this collection of delightfu ...more
H.R.
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Mike Vasich knocks it out of the ballpark again! I was a huge fan of his book 'Loki' and snatched this up the second I saw it was available. SO GOOD! This is honestly the first book I read cover to cover, in one sitting, out loud to my husband. He's definitely a new fan and I continue to eagerly look forward to anything this author puts out. He put a fantastic spin on Norse myths dealing with that most controversial of Asgardian figures and did so in a way that breathes new life into the stories ...more
Simone Odair
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Naughty isn't even the word for it. I can't count the amount of times I had to put it down through blushes.

Excellent and so fun.

The last story was by far the best. Best version of that story I've ever read and how funny if that were true! Loki always did want to be worshiped and in such a way was delightfully funny and completely evil.

As a former Christian I don't think I will ever forget that, it always puts a devilish smile on my face.
Audrey Hacker
Jun 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a good addition to the Loki Mythos, already foretold in the book 'Loki' by the same author. These short stories were good, i only wished there were more! However, the last story didn't really fit in with the others, although it was still good and interesting. It just didn't make a lot of sense with the other ones, it seemed like it would do better standing alone than with the others. Overall, a good book, 'Loki' is still my favorite of the two!
Christine
Apr 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
It seems that this book will be good. It seems like the author is drawing on Norse myth. Yet the font is so tiny, so tiny it hurts my eyes. Yes, I know I could most likely change my kindle settings, but why should I? It is already set on what is good for me. Why do I need to change it for this book?
Tasha
Jun 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
4.5 stars really. It is sacrilegiously awesome, and explains so much about western history.
Stephen
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I originally read Loki by Mike Vasich several years ago. I decided to take a chance on Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster partly because I dig Greg Cole's art and design for the books, so, yes, I was prejudging the book by its cover. I was a bit concerned that the chapters were going to be more along the lines of the "Bawdy Tales of the Trickster," but a few of the chapters were devoid of that, and I found those to be some of the more compelling ones.

Also having read Loki, I'm aware of Ba
Lucero
Aug 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Snip

Nice quick read. Stories are all fun and flow together in order. Think the author did a good job putting it together.
Chrissy
Nov 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very good, but the last chapter may be uncomfortable for Christian readers... Don't let it stop you though.
Emily Parks
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mythology
Quite the quick read on my way to my familys get together and back. Loved it
Raul Farkas
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
It was fine. I belive that there are some temporal issues with some events(The one about Boulder's death). I loved the last chapter.
Samantha MacLeod
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd better start with a disclaimer: I'm a huge Loki fan. So, this review is going to be skewed by my tendency to be reduced to an absolute screaming fangirl whenever Loki comes up.

Having said that, I had a blast with this little book.

The author, Mike Vasich, did a great job capturing Loki's personality. And, as someone who knows the original Norse myths pretty well (as in, I literally have a Master's degree in religion and I teach a class about Norse myth), I had a lot of fun seeing what he did
Simona F.
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
I am really into mythology.
I am also inclined to side with villains rather than heroes. You know, the whole "misunderstood"-thing, the fact that we do not really know what their background story is, the fact that everybody thinks they are callous monsters and horrible by nature (noone is bad just because of the sake of it; villains do not just wake up one sunny morning and decide to be bad, something makes them bad). I want to give them a chance, and by doing so I often find myself in love with
Morv
Jun 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: history, religious
Loki: Nine Naughty Tales of the Trickster is essentially tales of the Edda's re-written for the modern folk to read - almost, the author himself has added a little bit more, making Loki's character stand out and become something more.

The book is interesting to read, it did grip me at the very start with loki and Sif and the reason why Loki shaved Sif's hair off - something that (at least from what I have read) was never really given a real reason in the Edda's.
The book is a good read, I rather
Grey Liliy
If you are expecting anything like Vasich's Loki--don't.

This book takes a much lighter tone in both writing and content, ending up in a shorter and easier read. The stories are good, but it's much more hit & miss where I liked some of the tales and was less interested in some of the others.

Overall I enjoyed it. I chuckled quite a bit during the first six or so stories, and enjoyed a few of the non-humerous moments. It was also nice to see Hel and Balder again, if only for a brief moment.

The
« previous 1 3 next »

• Loki: Why I Began the End
  • Giants of the Frost
  • Hysteria
  • The Souls of the Ships
  • Opowieści z Wilżyńskiej Doliny (Wilżyńska Dolina, #1)
  • Norse Code
  • The Whisper Jar
  • Hilda the Wicked Witch (Hilda the Wicked Witch #1)
  • The Age of Odin
  • Murder, Mystery & Dating Mayhem (The Gray-Haired Knitting Detectives Book 1)
  • 1-800-Mischief (The Loki Adventures, #1)
  • Death's Avatar (Descent, #0.5)
  • Fenrir (The Wolfsangel Cycle #2)
  • From Asgard to Valhalla: The Remarkable History of the Norse Myths
  • Darkness Rising (Legends of Marithia, #2)
  • Loki
  • Free Five: Flash Fiction
  • Pandora Hearts 20巻
Mike Vasich teaches English to gifted and talented students in suburban Michigan. He continues to write novels in his spare time so that he can avoid any real work around the house.

He likes stories where bad guys win and good guys get stomped into the dust. His hobbies include taking naps, sowing disrespect for revered institutions, and making children cry (especially his own).

He can be reached at