Start by marking “Six Weeks to Toxic” as Want to Read:
Six Weeks to Toxic

Six Weeks to Toxic

2.34  ·  Rating details ·  122 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Bess is cute and quirky, a struggling sound artist with a punk rock past and a penchant for pop philosophy. Maxine is a sleek, strapping journalist living the good life. Despite their different lifestyles, they've been best friends for 16 years. New Year's Day 2000, where the story opens, begins with a headache and a hangover. Bess finds herself facing 35, single, struggli ...more
Published October 1st 2007 by Key Porter Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Six Weeks to Toxic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Six Weeks to Toxic

Sarah (Workaday Reads)
This started out really badly, but turned into a somewhat decent book.

The beginning felt like it was trying too hard to be funny and cool, and it fell really flat. But as the story went on, things seemed to relax and smooth out a bit. By the end, it was an okay read. Nothing extraordinary or great, but still worth reading. That said, the book started Jan 1, 2000, and reading it now in 2016, it was definitely dated. There are lots of references that pertain to that specific time only.

The premise
Darshan Elena
Jun 01, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Racists and Post-Feminist Buffoons
All hail racist chick lit! Louisa McCormack writes on page 24:

"The cabbie was yapping away on a cellphone, contributing to what would no doubt by the vast incidence of cab driver brain cancer in 2025. We were keeping our floozy murmurs safely tucked well behind his Arabic chatter in case he was a proponent of shariah law and wanted us sluts stoned to death. Sometimes I though Maxi and I simply lived to be the diametric opposite of two females in the Saudi hinderland."

McCormack's Maxi and Bess
Claudia
Mar 03, 2008 rated it did not like it
Terrible! Don't bother even picking it up to read the back cover!
Mulva
Jul 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
Too Canadian
Brittany
Sep 22, 2010 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Don't know that I would recommend this one.
How I Came To Read This Book: Part of a birthday / farewell package from one of my best friends. Think she's trying to tell me something? Kidding!

The Plot: It's the turn of the millennium (cue up the Third Eye Blind) and Bess is feeling a little inadequate, with her 35th birthday just six weeks away. She's unbelievably single, still at the junior tier of her career as a foley artist, and living in a rented apartment with a landlord that happens to be her best friend - a polished if slightly inse
Margaret B.
Sep 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Kricket
this book is ostensibly about the slow breakup of best friends in their thirties, but i actually found the breakup rather abrupt at the end of the book. sure, bess & maxine both had their quirks, and maxine was frequently insulting, but i didn't see the relationship as a total disaster until the final conflict, and maxine was really drunk for that, so who's to say it was that big of a deal? oh well.

full confession: i picked up this book at the library used book sale because it has pretty ti
Christine
Apr 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2010
If I could, I would give this book 2.5 stars. I actually really liked the premise of this book, I just felt the execution didn't quite work out as well as it could have. In the hands of a more experienced author, such as Emily Giffin for example, this could have been a really successful endeavor.

This book was set in Toronto and being Canadian, I found some of the Canadian references pretty amusing. That said, the rest of the writing style just wasn't quite there. The author liked to throw in som
Leah Fitzgerald
Apr 23, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick-lit fans
This book... I read it quickly, and it was a breeze, once I caught on to the strange rhythm to the writing. It actually pissed me off so much in the first chapter that I nearly gave up, but I was stuck with nothing else to read, so I stuck with it.
The story had its moments, but you know at from the beginning that the best friends will be no more by the end. The intrigue is in the sidelines, with the romances. And there are a lot of plot holes in the best parts.
Not the greatest book, but it was s
Joanne
Mar 06, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book wasn't much. I couldn't relate to Maxi as a person at all. It seemed to me like Bess just trailed along in her wake doing whatever pleased Maxi. The story galloped along, with Maxi chumming up to Tara, and Bess feeling hurt, then Bess gets happy and wham! The friendship is over. Weird! No one in real life would break up a 15 year friendship so abruptly. This book was just dumb (and poorly written as well).
  • And God Created the Au Pair
  • The Continuity Girl
  • After Hours (The Party Room, #3)
  • Ask Me Anything
  • Dead Air
  • Free Agent
  • Fourth World (Missing Link, #1)
  • After All, You're Callie Boone
  • Crybaby Ranch
  • What Disturbs Our Blood: A Son's Quest to Redeem the Past
  • Confessions of a Backup Dancer
  • Stories for a Teen's Heart: Over One Hundred Stories to Encourage a Teen's Soul
  • How Happy to Be
  • Dawn Undercover
  • Who Is Frances Rain?
  • Devils on the Deep Blue Sea: The Dreams, Schemes, and Showdowns That Built America's Cruise-Ship Empires
  • Rooms for Rent in the Outer Planets: Selected Poems 1962-1996
  • Cowboys Don't Cry (Cowboys Don't, #1)
My mother taught me how to read when I was twenty-two months old so I blame her for everything. My marvellous Polish grandmother let me know what I was destined for in the most matter-of-fact way when I was around 13. We’d been entertaining a lively correspondence for years and during one visit she happened to mention, “But Louisee darling, you are a writer.” (McCormack is actually my middle name; ...more
More about Louisa Mccormack...