Start by marking “Isabella: From Auschwitz to Freedom” as Want to Read:
Isabella: From Auschwitz to Freedom

Isabella: From Auschwitz to Freedom

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Gathering two classic memoirs of the Holocaust, Fragments of Isabella and Saving the Fragments, a testament to love and survival traces the epic struggle of Isabella Katz Leitner after she and her family are deported to Auschwitz. Reissue.
Paperback
Published December 1st 2000 by Xlibris Corporation (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Isabella, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Isabella

Angela
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it
This physical book contained "Fragents of Isabella" as well. Went to the second half to complete her journey. Such a revolting time in history.
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kristin
I wanted to like this more, but the last fourth of the memoir, coupled with the epilogue and afterword, made me lose some Interest. Maybe there wasn't enough going on?
This book is actually two of Isabella Leitner's memoirs combined into one book, I think if I had read just Fragments of Isabella: A Memoir of Auschwitz, I would have given it four stars.
David
Oct 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoirs-and-bios
I first read a memoir by Isabella Leitner when I was 9 years-old called The Big Lie. This more mature approach to her experiences as a Holocaust survivor has better enriched my understanding of her life, and the post-WW2 struggles she endured trying to rid herself of her death camp conditioning.

In a way, it helped me to better understand my grandmother, a concentration camp survivor. Leitner poetically articulates her feelings and fears following her liberation, many of which lasted decades late
Bruce
This memoir is a series of easily read vignettes written by a survivor of the Holocaust. It is a story of a group of sisters surviving the inhumanity of European anti-Semitism whose apex was the NAZI attempt at genocide.
Rebecca Lynn
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and it is also a quick read. I am fascinated with the holocaust (more of how could someone do this people) and I love reading about people who have survived.
Sue
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hungarian teen 9 months captive in camps and howir felt, her family. Easy read and helpful.
Ursula Hartlein
Ann
Feb 03, 2015
Ann-Marie
Jan 31, 2008 rated it liked it
Isabella was a touching true tale of survival. It sucked me right in and I couldn't quit reading
Sue Mathews
Apr 13, 2015
Madeleine
Feb 23, 2012
Danielle
rated it did not like it
May 07, 2009

“Six million is only a number. But each was somebody's mother, someday's child, somebody's lover, somebody's bride. Potyo was just thirteen; she was my sister. She had the wisdom of a child of war. She was full of fear, yet tiptoed with tenderness, laughter, and love in a world of madmen. She was a weeping willow, a song of sorrow, a poem of infinite beauty.
"Why does Hitler hate me? Why does he love hate, Mama?"
I am only thirteen; I have songs yet to learn, games yet to play. Give me time to live, give me time to die. Mama, how can I do all the living in just an inch of time?”
0 likes