Start by marking “Giant” as Want to Read:
Giant

Giant

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  2,173 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
From Pulitzer Prize-winning author Edna Ferber, Giant captures the essence of Texas on a staggering scale as it chronicles the life and times of cattleman Jordan "Bick" Benedict, his young society wife, Leslie, and three generations of land-rich sons.

A sensational story of power, love, cattle barons, and oil tycoons, Giant was the basis of the epic 1956 classic film starri
Published August 22nd 2000 by Harper Perennial Modern Classics (first published 1952)

To ask other readers questions about Giant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giant

Carol
When cattleman Jordan "Bick" Benedict travels to Virginia to purchase a horse, he returns home to Texas with a naive tart-tongued young bride as well. With sweltering heat, a husband that works like a cowhand, and an evil old-maid sister-in-law to contend with, Leslie enters a nightmare of a new lifestyle finding some shameful abuses to Mexican humanity, and a BBQ menu from hell (calf brains served in the head.....ewwwww!) and that's just the start.

This old western classic is a Giant of a good r

Corinne Edwards
I finished this sweeping novel of Texas while on an airplane, bound for my first visit to that great state. I had earlier sent a call out to my friends, asking what one should read before one's first trip to Texas, and when I saw that this suggestion was written by the author of So Big, a novel I loved, I knew I'd found a winner.

I was right.

Giant is absolutely a tale of Texas in the earlier part of this century, shortly after the Great War. It's a tale of ranches and cattle, dust and mesquite, M
Lauren Stoolfire
After finishing this novel I can definitely say that I prefer the movie adaptation more in comparison. I don't say that often at all, but honestly I think a lot of that relies on the charisma of the talented actors, particularly James Dean as Jett Rink. Once you make it through the first few chapters of the novel which hits you over the head with the magnitude of the state of Texas and everything in it, it certainly gets a little easier as we get to see the Leslie and Bick's relationship from th ...more
Robert
Oct 22, 2014 rated it liked it
This supposedly Sweeping Texas Family Saga would actually be more accurately described as an anthropological look at the Lone Star State in the first half of the 20th century and the large changes wrought there by the gradual shift from an agriculturally-based economy to that of an oil-based one. (Yeah, I know - "Sweeping Family Saga" is much more bite-sized and digestible, isn't it.) The heroine is a free-thinking liberal from Virginia while her Texas born-and-raised rancher husband is at heart ...more
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
4.75 Stars

I remember watching Giant with my mother some twenty or thirty years ago, and I loved, loved the movie. Rock Hudson as Jordan "Bick" Benedict, Elizabeth Taylor as Leslie Lynnton Benedict, and James Dean as Jett Rink; what an incredible cast. And despite Edna Ferber's descriptions of these characters, I could only see the actor's images as I read Giant.

The novel does deviate somewhat from the movie: the beginning is the movie's ending and there is more to the Jett/Leslie angle, rather
Anna
Jun 03, 2010 rated it liked it
This story is about TEXAS. Everything is big in TEXAS. In TEXAS we do things differently, and it's like a whole other country. TEXANS are like no other people. People not from TEXAS couldn't possibly understand what it means to be from TEXAS. Did I mention TEXAS? Okay, I'm done now. I did feel like I was being beaten over the head with it, though. I would actually give this two and a half stars. I enjoyed the book more than I would have thought possible at the beginning. The first four chapters ...more
Ann Herrick
Jan 09, 2014 rated it liked it
I've seen the movie several times on TV and read Cimarron years ago and liked it, so decided it was time to read Giant.

For me, this is one case where the movie is better than the book.

While it deals with some serious issues, racism being one, mostly it reads like a cross between an encyclopedia and a tour-guide book about Texas. There are pages and pages going on about the history of Texas, breeding cattle, Texas, Mexican workers, Texas, etc., then a few paragraphs where something actually happe
Adam Nelson
Aug 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
Quirkyreader
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a rip roaring all American novel worthy of its five star rating. It starts off with a big Texas party and then goes into the past when the main characters Jordan and Leslie meet.

Granted that it was written in the early 1950's it still has men and women in their stereotypical roles. There was no gender equality in this story and in certain parts it definately screams out. But aside from that, it is mostly a novel of Texas. And in Texas people do things bigger. At times Ferber's writing
Lee Anne
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorite-author
Outstanding. I have a feeling there will be a few packages from www.abebooks.com heading to my house, with Edna Ferber books inside.

The film version of Giant has been one of my favorite movies since high school, when I was in my James Dean phase/TBS frequently showed it of a Sunday afternoon. I think I even read the book back then, but reading a book in high school and reading it as an adult are two very different experiences.

Edna Ferber's writing is so different from what I've been reading late
Betsy
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Ferber is incredibly adept at observing relationships. In Giant, the marriage of larger-than-life Texas rancher Bick Benedict and Virginia socialite Leslie Lynnton is the central relationship, with their friends, families, children, and ranch workers spinning around them and intertwining. The novel begins building up to an incident when Bick and Leslie are middle-aged, then goes back to recount their meeting, whirlwind courtship and marriage, and disorienting first days in Texas. Bick and Leslie ...more
Jayne
Mar 03, 2008 rated it liked it
This classic is slow starting read. Part of that is the thought of Texas itself, and part is the character development, which develops only through actions of the characters throughout the book.

The story is told by the actions and curious run on sentences of the characters. The main character, Leslie, is a strong minded woman brought up by her Doctor father to think for herself and do the right thing. When she meets her future Texas big money husband, the sparks fly, and oddly they both seem to
Richard Palmer
Nov 23, 2013 rated it liked it
Giant is full of conflicts and contrasting influences.

There is the eastern woman dropped into the radically different culture of
Texas. There is the contrast between rich white landowners and poor hispanic
laborers. There is the confrontation between oil and cattle, between Benedict
and Rink, between sister in law and wife.

With all these dramatic contrasts, I was somewhat disappointed in the lack
of resolution. It seems that Ferber, rather than laying out a plot with
conflicts, build-up, and resolut
David Allen White
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
I suppose this is a look at a certain type of Texan, whom I have never met, despite more than 20 years in San Antonio. But I've always lived in a city, never on a ranch. Never even been to a ranch. Don't know anybody who owns a ranch. The movie developed somewhat differently from the novel, and I'm not so sure that I didn't like the movie better. But the novel is very readable.
Philip
Apr 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Edna Ferber isn't particularly well-known today, although she enjoyed a long run as a popular novelist: SO BIG (winner of the Pulitzer Prize), SHOW BOAT (which became the basis of the famous and beloved musical, CIMARRON, upon which was based the 1931 Academy Award-winning Best Picture, SARATOGA TRUNK, GIANT, and ICE PALACE. She was also a successful playwright who collaborated on THE ROYAL FAMILY, DINNER AT EIGHT, and STAGE DOOR.

If Ferber's name means anything today, its probably due to the suc
Christopher MacMillan
I've want to read this for years, so I'm happy I finally got around to it. Edna Ferber's sprawling epic concerns 25 years of married life between liberal-minded Leslie and conservative Jordan Benedict, and how as they watch the world changing around them, they find themselves changing too. And it all takes place on the overwhelming landscape of Texas, to which this book is both a condemnation and a love letter.

The novel explores the relationships of many things over the quarter-century time peri
Lesley
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
I'm going to the ACCC. I bought this novel expecting an "epic inter-generational family saga, sweeping across the vast Texan plains" as advertised. Instead I got a primer on the great state of Texas. The reader, personified by our delicate naïve Eastern bride Leslie asks the questions and her big bold Texian husband Bick, lord of the immense Reata ranch acreage answers:

"'Oh Jordan, I wish we could live up here in the mountains. I wish we could stay up here and Uncle Bawley could run Reata. Could
Mariah
Jul 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Having read and thoroughly enjoyed Ferber's Pulitzer prize-winning "So Big," I was excited to begin this one. The book "Giant" was a quick and very enjoyable read and did not disappoint this eager reader. The story takes place in Texas around the time of the Depression and World War II. I found the story to be very captivating and the imagery wonderfully vivid. Just hearing about the scalding heat that the characters experienced made me feel hot! :)
It was easy to get lost in this story and as I
Moira Downey
Feb 22, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm struggling with Giant and So Big. Giant immediately feels like an author who has really expanded her craft; it's more formally experimental and takes greater liberty with language than its predecessor. And she's tackling some thorny philosophical issues surrounding class, race and citizenship in America that resonant especially loudly in the present political climate. Unfortunately, it becomes a rather pedantic mediation on TEXAS and WHAT TEXAS IS and WHAT TEXAS MEANS that is quickly weariso ...more
D.A.
Jul 24, 2009 rated it liked it
By the time Ferber wrote this, she had written a number of plays and had a number of novels adapted for the screen. Clearly, in Giant, she was envisioning the novel as a film, and she writes with a cinematic voice. In typical Ferber style, she starts the story near the climax. The novel is filled with Texas lore, and probably far too many characters to manage well. But it also--as with so many of Ferber's novels--plows head-on into issues of social justice, driven by a strong female character wh ...more
Laura Jean
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, kindle, library, satire, texas
I picked this up as a Texas Librarian who wanted to get a better idea about books set in Texas. I was further intrigued when I realized that it caused quite a scandal when it was published in 1952.
Giant Scandal article And although I agree with the author of this article that sometimes the Texans seemed more like caricatures, it was a charming novel with some really sharp understanding of human natured tucked away in it.

The protagonist's struggles acclimating herself to Texas and her husband r
Bonnie
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
I'd never read this classic and it came to my attention when watching a BBC series, A Place to call home, where one of the main characters is engrossed in this novel while on her honeymoon. I had heard of it, of course and had seen the movie many years ago. The book is quite interesting and a page turner with great characters and it holds up well. I can only imagine the sensation it caused when it came out. Texans had to be livid. I do wish the ending was more finished but then when would a stor ...more
Suzanne
Jul 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Blows the movie out of the water. It's a much more cogent, penetrating, and pessimistic critique of Texas, and American, society and culture. One might almost call it cynical. The characters are much more sharply drawn, without the Hollywood softening to make them more acceptable to Peoria. The women aren't quite as beautiful and the men are not nearly as heroic.
The social critique of the founding of Texas is presented in greater detail and depth than in the film, and the treatment of the Mexica
Sandi Banks
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Edna Ferber was a favorite author when I was a high school and college student. I had never read Giant and still feel that Ferber tells a great story. The book was somewhat hard to capture my interest when I began. Once chapter five began and Leslie and Bick first met and fell in love, I was hooked! The setting of Texas during the first half of the twentieth century was fascinating. I watched the movie after I read the book. The movie was well acted, but the book made the characters more multidi ...more
Charlie
Nov 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: literazzi
3.5 stars. The last half I couldn't put it down, although the beginning feels disjointed, starting at the end then going back to the beginning. I wonder why the author decided to structure it that way. Maybe if you started with Bick's trip to "ole Virginny" it reads flat? It reminds me of that Elton John song that was so boring, then they added the live audience track in the background and it was a hit. One little switcharoo changes the whole feel of it.
Terrie Dehaan
Jul 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've reread this book several times and it always makes me cry. Texas, West, Texas, will always be my home. Ferber's words immortalized the true mortality of what it means to be blessed enough to be a part of the Lone Star State. I've always wanted to be a part of a group that breaks down the text into a book study. It would be interesting to see which character everyone connects with the most.
Jeanne
Jan 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: women
This is a good classic. It has drama, humor, romance, kept my interest. I read it when I was in high school. I learned some about prejudice, and overcoming of that; how money can hurt as well as help. The young woman falls for the sexy bad boy rich man, (who I wanted, too), but sees in the end that he doesn't have true strength of character and is not good for her. She also found that her parents were wiser than she thought.
Lindsay
Jan 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I recently went to the opening of the musical production of Giant and received a free a copy of the book. I had never heard of the author and later read that she was considered one of the best female writers of her generation. Compared to the dark novels I normally read, this was breath of fresh air. A little Texas history mixed with love, life, wealth and ranching.
Allie
Aug 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Truly amazing and exactly the kind of book that I love -- sprawling and epic. I did have some trouble with getting a frame of reference for the time period though. I couldn't get my head around the fact that things were taking place during the 50's and 60's. But then again, maybe that was the point.
Graceann
Nov 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: classics
I didn't enjoy this as much as I did So Big - I guess I just couldn't get into the mystical life of cattle rearing and oil drills in the heart of Texas. I found it hard to care about the characters and I was ready for the novel to end long before it actually did.
Madison Mega-Mara...: Giant 1 5 Jul 08, 2012 04:29PM
  • The African Queen
  • Seventeen
  • Youth and the Bright Medusa
  • Bits of Paradise
Edna Ferber was an American novelist, short story writer and playwright. Her novels were popular in her lifetime and included the Pulitzer Prize-winning So Big (1924), Show Boat (1926; made into the celebrated 1927 musical), Cimarron (1929; made into the 1931 film which won the Academy Award for Best Picture), and Giant (1952; made into the 1956 Hollywood movie).
Ferber was born August 15, 1885, in

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Labyrinths (New Directions Paperbook)
    $15.95 $2.99
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Dragon's Teeth (The Lanny Budd Novels)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Whoever said love conquers all was a fool. Because almost everything conquers love - or tries to.” 13 likes
“I never go to weddings. Waste of time. Person can get married a dozen times. Lots of folks do. Family like ours, know everybody in the state of Texas and around outside, why, you could spend your life going to weddings. But a funeral, that's different. You only die once.” 8 likes