Start by marking “The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Apprentice (Rizzoli & Isles, #2)

The Apprentice

(Rizzoli & Isles #2)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  43,082 ratings  ·  1,898 reviews
It is a boiling hot Boston summer. Adding to the city's woes is a series of shocking crimes, in which wealthy men are made to watch while their wives are brutalized. A sadistic demand that ends in abduction and death.

The pattern suggests one man: serial killer Warren Hoyt, recently removed from the city's streets. Police can only assume an acolyte is at large, a maniac bas
Published 2002 by Bantam Press

To ask other readers questions about The Apprentice, please sign up.
Emily The author recommends reading them in order. Please refer to her comments in her own blog here: http://www.tessgerritsen.com/what-is-.... I read my…moreThe author recommends reading them in order. Please refer to her comments in her own blog here: http://www.tessgerritsen.com/what-is-.... I read my first one out of order, then decided to come back and start with #1. Now I've read #2, and I do agree that these should be read in order as the plots and characters continue to develop, and past events are referred to extensively (at least in book #2).(less)
Cheryl I'm right there with you. I am a fan of the television series and wanted to read the books. How Jane was written in the books actually made me angry!…moreI'm right there with you. I am a fan of the television series and wanted to read the books. How Jane was written in the books actually made me angry! As I am finishing the last few books in the series; she definitely becomes more likable character. Maura will also grow on you.(less)

Shaikha
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Is this all we are? A necklace of chemicals? Where, in the double helix, does the soul lie?"

Medical student or not, you will learn a lot from Tess Gerritsen's books with pure enjoyment. If you like your crime medicine strong, this will keep you gripped. Rizzoli & Isles is the perfect series! 😍

4.5/5

A series of horrific murders seem disturbingly familiar to Detective Jane Rizzoli. They remind her of those committed by a killer known as the Surgeon, who they recently put behind bars.
While th
Jonetta
Update from Reread 5/1: My original rating and comments stand. Just as good the second time around.

It's been a year since Jane Rizzoli's encounter with the now jailed Surgeon and she's still recovering. Not so much from her physical wounds but the deeper ones no one can see. When she's called to a crime scene by another detective from a different squad, Rizzoli must face the horror all over again as she finds similarities to the Surgeon's work.

Things are also compounded when an FBI agent insert
Fred
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Tess Gerritsen Fans Group Link - my 2nd read

Is Serial-killer Warren Hoyt from "The Surgeon" back (book #1's murderer)? Hoyt has been locked up for 1 year in Massachusetts' Walpole State Prison. Det.Rizzoli helped find & arrest him.
"The Apprentice " murders have a similar technique while he is locked up. Hoyt tied victims with duct tape, killed 1 woman at a time & left folded nightgowns as his Dominator's sign of control.
The Apprentice kills couples & resemble Hoyt's. Dr. Yeager (f
Jim
“It’s the heat,” said Rizzoli as she reached for her cell phone. “It brings the monsters out.”

It has been a year since the events that took place in The Surgeon. Detective Jane Rizzoli thought serial killer Warren Hoyt was safely locked away in prison and that she could move on. But a new series of brutal murders suggests that there may be someone out there who admires Hoyt and is basing his attacks using the same techniques that Hoyt used. That is what Rizzoli thinks. She is also finding that e
Paula
A new serial killer has come to Boston and Detective Jane Rizzoli is called to the latest crime scene when there are similarities to a former case she worked on which resulted in the capture and arrest of Warren “The Surgeon” Hoyt. Hoyt is now in prison, so these latest murders must be the work of a copycat. Then Hoyt escapes and it seems he’s now joined forces with this new killer, The Dominator.

This book was enjoyable enough, but disappointing as well. I was looking forward to reading about Th
Carolyn
Jan 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the serial killer known as the Surgeon behind bars, Detective Jane Rizzoli can breathe easy and get on with her life. Or can she? When a murder victim is found with his wife clearly tortured and abducted, there is a chilling signature of the Surgeon's work and perhaps a hint that he is not entirely finished with Jane.

A very creepy, thriller which manages to raise the tension to the max without a host of murders. An excellent follow up to The Surgeon and an introduction to forensic pathologi
Jun 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, ebook, fiction, faves
These books are SO good. Well, this is only the second book that I have read in the series but they are so good! This one wasn't as good as book one, I think the story was the reason why, but I did give book one 4.5 stars so its not that much of a step down. If all crime novels were like this, I would definitely read more crime novels!

I think Gerritsen is a terrific writer and storyteller. I highlighted a couple of passages to show how good she is - "Even before they saw the body, the heard the
Abby (Crime by the Book)
I read this one while traveling - it was a perfect plane read! Totally gripping and chilling. I wouldn't have thought I'd be a fan of medical thrillers, but I really enjoy Gerritsen's writing - it's addictive and fascinating, with lots of detailed medical references that make the story that much more authentic.
Sep 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a big fan of the Rizzoli & Isles tv show and with the fall hiatus, I decided to start reading the actual books. Full disclosure, I skipped The Surgeon (#1 in this series) because, honestly, Maura Isles is not in it. Sorry. Not interested.

I can definitely tell you, if you've watched the tv show, you can jump into this book first without any problems. The changes that were made for the tv show are, in my opinion, fairly minor in terms of characters and their relationships to each other (fo
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
4.5 Stars! Awesome follow up to book 1, The Surgeon! Intense doesn't begin to describe The Apprentice. This is on-the-edge of your seat, heart-racing, scared-to-turn-the-lights off suspense! It's been a year since Jane put away the Surgeon. Physically, she's healed, but mentally & emotionally - she's got a long ways to go. And now she's called to the scene of a horrific murder in another district . . . one that mimics those perpetrated by the Surgeon. Jane's nightmares come rushing back as s ...more
Tiffany PSquared
This was a random selection for me, I needed a new audiobook for the car, and I needed a book whose title starts with an "A" for a reading challenge. Check. Check.
I'm familiar with this series in the same way that I am familiar with the Kathy Reichs/Bones/Temperance Brennan series - I saw it on TV first. So, I automatically have those actors running around in my mind every time I read any of those books.
I enjoyed The Apprentice. At 90% complete, I started to worry that Gerritsen would make a hor
Daisy
This is the second book by Tess Gerritsen that I've read. I must say this was as good or better than The Surgeon.I'm addicted to this series and I will be reading all of them.

Jenny
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Apprentice is the first book I have read of Tess Gerritsen, and I was impressed with the way Tess Gerritsen portrays her characters especially Jane Rizzoli and Detective Korsak. I am also impressed that the Rizzoli and Isles TV show does represent the books.

Detective Jane Rizzoli is still recovering from her encounter with The Surgeon when couples are starting to die in Boston with the similar characteristic of The Surgeon. The readers of The Apprentice will start to wonder if there is a cop
Quike
Mar 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cerrah'daki heyecan aynı şekilde devam ediyor. Bütün programlarınızı iptal edip tamamen kitaba yoğunlaşacağınızdan eminim. .Kendinizi olayların içinde hatta çoğu zaman Rizollinin gergin ruh halinin içinde buluyorsunuz.
Gülay Cansever
Evet kadroya İsles de katıldı. bakalım serinin devamında bizi ne maceralar bekliyor. bu arada gerritsenin bir katili tasvir etmesi, onun beyninin nasıl işlediğini anlatması falan harika😬
aysegwn
Bu yazarla tanışmayan çok şey kaybeder.
Raíla
Dec 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I finished reading The Surgeon, I was way too excited to put my hands on the next book of this series and read it. Unfortunatelly, I only could do it months later, but I did it well. I read The Apprentice in one day and a half. This rarely happens! I have seen that it's only a sugestion for you to read the series in order. I don't think so, though. I believe I wouldn't have understood it well if I haven't read The Surgeon first.

This second one is basically a sequel for The Surgeon. The "new
Vilija Jankūnaitė
Kaip ir minėjau praėjusiame poste, detektyvai nėra mano mėgstamiausias žanras, nes dažnai čia vienas veiksmas veja kitą, žudomi ir žudomi žmonės, bet dažnu atveju veikėjai taip ir lieka nepažinti. O man veikėjai ir jų istorijos yra svarbiausias akcentas knygose - iš jų pasiekimų ir klaidų, pokyčių ir stagnacijų aš mokausi ir semiuosi stiprybės, idėjų savo realiam pasauliui.

"Pameistrys" yra antroji mano skaitoma Tess Gerritsen knyga, tai yra detektyvo "Chirurgas" tęsinys. Labai rekomenduoju šias
Punk
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebook, thriller
Thriller. The serial killer known as the Surgeon is back to menace Boston Homicide Detective Jane Rizzoli, but Rizzoli is way too stubborn and angry to let him get away with that for long.

The first book in this series really pissed me off. Its portrayal of rape and gender was completely offensive and the clumsy writing and unsympathetic characters only made the problem worse.

Gerritsen corrects some of those mistakes in this book. For example, the text does a better job of distinguishing between
The Book Whisperer (aka Boof)
After reading the utterly brilliant first book in Gerritsen’s Rizzoli and Isles series, The Surgeon, I couldn’t wait a single second more to get stuck into the next in the series. I hoped it would be every bit as good……and it was! Infact, as I write this I am half way through #8 in the series (never before have I read any single authors books back-to-back until now).

The Apprentice is the moniker given to a new serial killer stalking wealthy couples in Boston, a killer who has a strikingly simila
Tea Time with Marce
From my blog

My Review - 2 1/2 Not my cup of tea

What a total let down, I cannot believe this was written by the same author, The Surgeon was almost perfection in my mind, so to get a total boring, what was the point follow up was beyond disappointing.

This read like a debut, repetition continuously. I understand the details needed for those that didn't read The Surgeon but even if you didn't it became insanely unnecessary.

There was no mystery to me in this book, so The Surgeon escapes from prison
Kaisu
Sep 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
ein reread, der sich definitv gelohnt hat :)
bookaddict
Jul 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5/5 MÜKEMMELDİ.
Kitap o kadar akıcı ki,ne zaman elime aldım,ne Zaman bitirdim anlayamadım.Yine çok zekice kurgulanmış bir kitaptı.Tess yine hayal kırıklığına uğratmadı.Yazar tıp bilgisini sonuna kadar kullanmıştı bu arada kitapta.Ama yine de cerrah kadar ürkünç,rahatsız edici bir kitap değildi.Daha çok katilin psikolojik yönleri aktarılmıştı okuyucuya.Ve bu da benim çok hoşuma gitti.Karakterlere daha çok ısındım bu kitapla.Polisiye/gerilim seven herkese tavsiye ediyorum.
Carmela
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
With the continuation of the Surgeons travesty’s and the introduction of the Dominator, this book has a lot going for it. We get the first sneak peak at Dr Maura Isles, and a continuation of the amazing Jane Rizzoli, badass kickass cop. Finished this book with the craving for more.
Marnie  Krüger
"It’s like getting too close to fire. We’re drawn to it, even though we know damn well it’ll burn us."
Tea Cup

First Sentence: Today I watched a man die.

This is one of those series that you don't read one book directly after the other. You have to give it time, forget some of the exact detail of the prevision book.
Or maybe it's just because we're dealing with the same killer, but for me there were to many things that were a copy of the previous book.

I again struggled with the pacing and writing style no
Liz
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Karen
I loved this one. ( Read Further.) Maybe she has some more like this. Listened on Audio and did not want to stop. Suspense and story line would have given it a 5, but the "romance" is what always dull the book for me. I do know many readers like that, but I am straight suspense girls and that is why I do not read books by certain authors-though- popular that often. If it was not for that, I would be adding it to my "top books" shelf for the year, but that ruined doing that.
Jaksen
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG another from Ms. Gerritsen, and what a book it is.

First off, it's second in a series which is hard-hitting, full of forensic and medical detail, and characters you are gonna love, hate, then love again. Its characters make mistakes - gross mistakes - and learn to deal with the aftermath by plowing on in one direction: to get their man, or woman, or unsub, or whoever it is who's dealing out death in such a horrific manner.

Did I say horrific? The story begins with a body splattered all over a
Christine
Another great read by Tess Gerritson. Not for the faint hearted. Crime scenes are very descriptive and just the way I like it. If you like a gutsy crime serial killer read, well I advise you to get stuck into this book. If you haven't read book one The Surgeon, I highly advise you start with this book first.
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question N 5 3 May 09, 2018 04:34AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question K 4 4 May 09, 2018 02:40AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question J 3 4 May 08, 2018 08:38AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question I 3 4 May 08, 2018 08:34AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question H 3 4 May 08, 2018 08:31AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question F 3 4 May 08, 2018 08:20AM
2-3-4 Challenge B...: Question E 3 4 May 08, 2018 08:06AM
  • A Faint Cold Fear (Grant County, #3)
  • Grave Secrets (Temperance Brennan, #5)
  • The Face of Death (Smoky Barrett, #2)
  • Whispers of the Dead (David Hunter, #3)
  • The Next Accident (Quincy & Rainie, #3)
  • The Soul Catcher (Maggie O'Dell, #3)
  • I Can See You (Romantic Suspense, #10; Minneapolis, #1)
  • Le Serment des limbes
  • Stalemate (Eve Duncan, #7)
Internationally bestselling author Tess Gerritsen took an unusual route to a writing career. A graduate of Stanford University, Tess went on to medical school at the University of California, San Francisco, where she was awarded her M.D.

While on maternity leave from her work as a physician, she began to write fiction. In 1987, her first novel was published. Call After Midnight, a romantic thriller

Rizzoli & Isles (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1)
  • The Sinner (Rizzoli & Isles, #3)
  • Body Double (Rizzoli & Isles, #4)
  • Vanish (Rizzoli & Isles, #5)
  • The Mephisto Club (Rizzoli & Isles, #6)
  • The Keepsake (Rizzoli & Isles, #7)
  • Ice Cold (Rizzoli & Isles, #8)
  • The Silent Girl (Rizzoli & Isles, #9)
  • Last to Die (Rizzoli & Isles, #10)
  • Die Again (Rizzoli & Isles, #11)
“Some people make choices hoping for the best; Korsak had made a choice simply to avoid the worst.” 9 likes
“Society thinks of violent acts as manifestations of evil or immorality. We're told we have ultimate control over our own behavior, that each and every one of us has the free will to choose not to hurt another human being. But it's not just morality that guides us. Biology does as well. Our frontal lobs helps us integrate thoughts and actions. They help us weight the consequences of those actions. Without such control, we'd give in to every wild impulse.” 7 likes