Start by marking “The Latchkey Dog: How the Way You Live Shapes the Behavior of the Dog You Love” as Want to Read:
The Latchkey Dog: How the Way You Live Shapes the Behavior of the Dog You Love

The Latchkey Dog: How the Way You Live Shapes the Behavior of the Dog You Love

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews

Does your dog's schedule need more arranging than your own? Does the mere prospect of leaving your dog make your spine stiffen? While you are at work earning the money to buy dog food, is your dog having your dining room chairs for lunch? If the answer to even one of these questions is "yes," the odds are that you are living with a Latchkey Dog.

The Latchkey Dog offers a re

Published March 1st 2002 by Harper Paperbacks (first published December 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Latchkey Dog, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Latchkey Dog

Stef
Jul 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dogbooks
This was a solid read to solving the neurosis of dogs left alone for large periods of time. In sum, I agreed with her "sit", "down", "stay" and "come" commands as the basic training tools for all dog owners. And they must be practiced everyday of the dog's life even if she has mastered them. But, I had no idea how important these commands served as problem solvers in many scenarios. Dog begging at the table? A down stay will do. Dog jumping on guests? A sit and stay will do. Dog a picky eater? M ...more
Jeanne Daly
Mar 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great book for dog owners, trainers, and dog walkers. This isn't a book about training but more about recognizing problems that families and individuals go through due to our current lifestyles. Jodi Anderson does a great job of explaining problem areas and the techniques she uses to correct unwanted behavior. I've worked professionally for many years as a dog walker and trainer as well as having many dogs of my own, some that were shelter dogs and rescues and some that came from good breeder. I ...more
Christine
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the way this book read, though the last chapter or two fell apart a bit for me. Still the writer shared her knowledge about dogs and dog training in a way that I as an almost 40 year old, first time dog owner can understand and integrate into my home. There were some cute stories, too, but I'm glad the book didn't rely on that.
Kathy McC
May 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Lots of great information and Andersen presented ideas about a dog's psyche that I hadn't really considered before. She presents many ideas and dog examples of a plethera of behavior issues and provides manageable suggestions for solving them.
I was left to wonder how she knows this much about "how a dog thinks". I would like lessons in how to do that!

The latchkey dog is "most likely at home lsitening to the messages on your answering machine, thinking that you just don't spend enough quality t
Victoria
This was an enjoyable, entertaining & educational book. Oh, it was a little redundant, but it had many amusing anecdotes and helpful hints that, so far, work with Chief B pretty well. But he is a fast learner, which I am sure is a big part of it. There wasn't much information on pits, or even a mention of Australian Cattle Dogs, so that was a bit of a disappointment. Still, it was a fast and fun read.
Tiah Keever
As first time dog owner I am learning a few tips on how to be the "pack leader" and I am shaking my head at how many people are totally clueless about dogs(as the book is by a trainer and she gives you many anecdotes). I am wondering if my dog will actually start following the Sit command on a regular basis(he seems to have selective hearing currently).
Owen
Jun 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dog-related
If you have a dog you MUST read this book. It is my go-to gift for new dog owners. Intelligently written, lots of good case studies, etc. It will dramatically improve your relationship with your dog (if you are willing to implement her suggestions).
Jim
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was the only one recommended by the dog trainers we used. The others I've read on this topic, don't seem to quite measure up to this one. If you want to better understand why your dog does what he/she does, try this book. It helped us a bunch!
Julie
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, adult
Want to know why your dog acts the way he does? It's because of his breed, right?
Or maybe not.
This book was both entertaining with funny stories about owners and dogs, but also has helped me realize how leadership can help my dog to be calm when I'm gone.
Manatee
May 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book on canine psychology is full of awkward sentences and vague directions for getting your dog to behave after he has been alone all day.

Weirdly enough,it has not ONE but TWO accounts of dogs enjoying( already pumped) human breastmilk. Very, Very disturbing if you ask me.
Marico
Aug 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This book really helped us understand what our Australian Cattle Dog needed from us in order to be a wonderful member of the family. We have now had her for 6 years and love this incredibly intelligent (and sometimes stubborn) breed.
Abby
Sep 12, 2011 rated it liked it
An interesting perspective on how our working lives directly affect our dogs. Full review here: http://thedoggerel.wordpress.com/2011...
Stevie
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is THE BEST animal book ever.

I have read lots of dog books and this is the one that did it for me (and my lab-mix child)!
Mary
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book gave me great insight on some rather odd behavior in my clients dogs.
Janet
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really sound advice, even for those of us with 8 year old dogs who think they are the "leader of the pack."
Brett Anderson
Good insight into dogs' behavior as pack animals, the historical normalcies of human-dog interactions, and steps you can take to improve relations with any canine companions you may have.
Keli
Feb 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The Best Book I've read about dog training. I recommend to anyone who will be leaving their dog home alone while they work.
Tom Mueller
Nothing especially new to those familiar with dog behavior, but there are some fun anecdotes.
Tracie
May 05, 2012
Anita
Dec 30, 2010
Jestine Maribel
rated it did not like it
May 19, 2014