Start by marking “The Sentinel” as Want to Read:
The Sentinel

The Sentinel

(The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke #2)

Few masters of science fiction have brought us glimpses of the near future as vividly as Arthur C. Clarke. It is the startling realism of his vision that has made classics of his novels, such as CHILDHOOD'S END and 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. It has also made Clarke himself one of the genre's most successful writers. The trade paperback was published to commemorate the arrival ...more
Published January 1st 2004 by iBooks (first published 1983)

Ahmad Sharabiani
The Sentinel = Sentinel of Eternity, Arthur C. Clarke
"The Sentinel" is a short story by British author Arthur C. Clarke, written in 1948 and first published in 1951 as "Sentinel of Eternity".
تاریخ نخستین خوانش: سال 2000 میلادی
عنوان: ملاقات با عروس دریایی؛ نویسنده: آرتور سی. کلارک؛ مترجم: رضا فاضل؛ تهران، نشر و پژوهش فرزان روز، 1378؛ در بیست و یک و 373 ص؛ شابک: 9646138705؛ موضوع: داستانهای خیال انگیز علمی از نویسندگان انگلیسی قرن 20 م
داستانهای این مجموعه: 1 - گروه نجات، 2 - فرشته نگهبان، 3 - در
Vivian
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
As part of my Kubrick Oktoberfest, I read The Sentinel to compare it to 2001: A Space Odyssey. And this is why short stories make the most satisfying movies; they give indelible frameworks from which the director/screenwriter/crew can embellish, provide a variation on a theme if you will. Clarke cowrote the screenplay with Kubrick. I prefer adaptations that are changelings and not mimics, and Kubrick did a brilliant montage from Clarke's inspiration.

The Sentinel is the discovery of an extraordi
Cheryl Marren
Jan 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say that I wasn't quite sure what to expect because (to my shame as it's a genre I adore in the movies) I haven't actually ever read any "real" sci-fi before... I was obviously aware of Clarke's popularity in this genre but, as we all know, popularity is not always a guarantee of quality. In this case, though, certainly it is! I was completely delighted by the style of Clarke's writing and found myself able to really get deeply into the characters and the worlds they inhabit... I was a ...more
Patrick Sprunger
Arthur C. Clarke defines "science fiction" and "fantasy" in remarkably simple terms. "Fantasy" is any story that is physically impossible, as measured by our understanding of science. "Science fiction" is any story that is at least theoretically possible, given applicable technology.

Both genres are prolific and - I think it's fair to say - often silly. Arthur C. Clarke is sometimes as silly as it gets, but he has an uncanny knack for making the reader momentarily forget that humans have not yet
Marie Segares
The Sentinel is a collection of short stories by Arthur C. Clarke. I've read several of Clarke's novels (and loved them), but I wasn't sure how I would feel about his short stories. I shouldn't have been concerned because Clarke, like most sci fi writers of his generation, cut his teeth writing short stories for magazines.

Each story successfully creates its own internal world, and while the stories are actually quite different in tone, the main themes are space travel and what I would call the
Mangrii
Sep 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4,5 / 5

Un cuento clave en la ciencia ficción y más en la obra de Arthur C. Clarke es El centinela. Famoso por haber sido ampliado y modificado tanto en la novela como la película 2001: Odisea en el espacio, nos cuenta una historia de lo más sencilla: el simple descubrimiento de un extraño artefacto en la Luna dejado hace eones por antiguos alienígenas. Un objeto piramidal rodeado por un campo de fuerza esférico. Nuestro narrador en primera persona, especulará sobre los misteriosos forasteros que
Sirius Scientist
This collection of short stories includes the basis for Clarke's 2001: A Space Odyssey and Childhood's End, but in general it was a mixed bag. I enjoyed some of the stories more than others, but it took a hit for ratings because I was looking forward to finally being finished and moving on.
Rusty
Working through my backlog of books I’ve read recently but not written my thoughts on. I talked about The Sentinel a while back in my review of The Medusa Chronicles, if that’s what you’d call a review.

This is a collection of short stores and novellas from the Clarke. These go back to the 40’s and 50’s for the most part, although The Meeting With Medusa is from the 70’s, I think.

In all, I feel like some of these hold up pretty well. I think that’s saying a lot for a hard SF author writing back
Karla Acuña
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
El terror cósmico siempre me pondrá los pelitos de punta. Me parece interesante de leer por ser la inspiración de Odisea en el Espacio
Roxanne Tan

“The Sentinel” short story written by Arthur Clarke was published in 1951 by Avon Periodicals Inc. The story started with such details describing where they are and how close they are to the moon. The author described how challenging their expedition was and how they were able to go across. He described how the ocean was once deep and now it is only deep about half mile. The view was beautiful; you can see the mountains, the rocks, and the sun’s reflection.
They had lived outside of Earth for q
Asghar Abbas
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This novella became the movie 2001 : a space odyssey. Which it self became a precursor and inspiration for great sf movies to come including Star Wars.
T4ncr3d1
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, preferiti, inglesi
Una raccolta imprescindibile, un gioiello di fantascienza da esibire sullo scaffale insieme ad altre raccolte, come Il meglio di Asimov. Questa raccolta, in effetti, potrebbe esser chiamata Il meglio di Clarke, per le affinità evidenti con la raccolta asimoviana: un insieme di racconti in ordine cronologico, ognuno scelto dall'autore, accompagnati da prefazioni, che riescono nell'impresa di restituire una summa di tutta l'opera dello scrittore.
A cominciare dal famosissimo La sentinella, che ha d
Michael Clemens
Jul 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Clarke's stories survived their Golden Age origins by being focused more on the humans than the gee-whiz technology of the time. There's fwere hints of the casual sexism and anachronistic vacuum-tube computers here, and Clarke always tempered his writing with some hard science, or at least enough to be convincing. I've enjoyed his work in novel form, and these stories are equally enjoyable.

The edition I bought contains Lebbeus Woods' illustrations -- a majoy selling point for me. I know him thr
Virginia
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Muy buena colección de relatos de Clarke!

Si bien todos los relatos fueron entretenidos a su manera, mis favoritos fueron "El centinela" (relato que ya había leído hace un tiempito) y "¿Quién está ahí?".
Veronica
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La scrittura di Clarke è sempre piena di magia. Mi perdo nelle sue descrizioni ricche e particolari.
Antonio Carralón
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
20° de mis #librosen2018: "El centinela", escrito en 1951 por Arthur C. Clarke y publicado en 1998 en esta edición de las novelas del verano de la biblioteca El Mundo.
5.656 #páginasleídasen2018.
Reviéndome los programas de "Qué grande es el cine", José Luis Garci y sus compañeros de tertulia me descubrieron que Arthur C. Clarke escribió su más famoso libro, "2001, una odisea del espacio" después del estreno de la icónica película que hizo Kubrick y no al revés. El propio C. Clarke colaboró en el
Christine
Sep 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
"But Captain Saunders, like all spacemen, was fundamentally a romantic. Even on a milk run like this he would sometimes dream of the ringed glory of Saturn or the somber Neptunian wastes, lit by the distant fires of the shrunken sun."

I'd started this book a few times in the past, but had never got past the first few stories. The stories included here (10 of them, if you include Clarke's introduction/biography) span Clarke's career, from the 40's to the 70's, and all include brief blurbs by autho
Eric
Sep 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of short stories and sci-fi when I was a kid. This book brought me back to those days. It's not something I've read before but very much like it.

Mr. Clarke is obviously well informed about the physics of space and the technical possibilities. He also understands human nature and manages to marry these viewpoints into compelling stories.

I primarily chose to read this collection of short stories because "The Sentinel" was the base story that the movie "2001 : A Space Odyssey" was dev
Cristian
Dec 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book from the series brings into light some of the most splendid short stories of Mr. Clarke's career. It numbers 22 stories ranging in time of publishing from the very beginning of '50 to the 1955, and so it happens that his highly speculative, essentially youth spirit meets the mind of the socially concerned adult. As such, for the better of stuff here you can catch an allusion to the Cold War.

As a rule of thumb, the better stories figure in the first three quarters of the book, as by 195
Enrique Sebert
Jun 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
¿Recuerdan esa escena de Jodie Foster en la película Contacto de 1997 donde ella no puede describir lo que ve y dice «Debieron enviar a un poeta»?
Mi respuesta sería: No, Jodie, debieron mandar a Arthur C. Clarke.
El Centinela no podrá ser gran cosa hablando de trama, pues todo se resume al encuentro de un monolito. Lo interesante, y que en mi opinión, brilla por completo, es la prosa de Arthur.
Jamás me había sentido tan adentro de las palabras de una persona.
Stan James
Mar 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
As always when reading older science fiction--this collection of stories dates from the early 1950s--it's important to remember what we take for granted today, what actually transpired over the last 60+ years, and how attitudes have changed regarding the sexes.

Regarding the latter, one of the longer stories, "Holiday on the Moon", is a sweet tale that ends with a girl who becomes so entranced by what she sees while visiting the moon with her family that she (secretly) decides to pursue a career
Heidi
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-ss

This is for the individual, single
short story only.

This 9 page SF short story
was first published in the Spring
1951 issue of 10 Story Fantasy.

This is a very well written SF
short story. The sheer originality
and creativity of this story just
astonishes me, particularly con-
sidering that it was written in 1951.
Ashley
Feb 28, 2017 rated it liked it
I enjoyed some of the stories in this collection, and didn't care for others. Overall, I was pretty unmoved by it. I did like that some of the stories held up pretty well, considering how long ago they were written, but the fact that there were only two female characters in the whole book was a negative.
Carlton Rolle
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fun short read that tells the story of scientists exploring the Moon. In a lucky sighting, a scientist noticed a gleaming material on the horizon of the Moon. Upon closer inspection, it was a black Monolith of alien design. Scientists and organizations scurry as they prepare for the ramifications of the discovery.
Julie
So, I only read the story actually called "The Sentinel." (Once again, mentioned in the inspirations in Star Wars Year by Year). I loved the concept. I'd read a longer novel based on this, too. Oh look! Guess I should go read 2001 then..... :)
Melvin Patterson
his compendium of early Clarke stories is good, but obviously not on par with his later works. Some of the stories really seemed pointless, without any sort of conflict whatsoever. Others were quite good and had surprising twist endings. All in all, worth a look but don't expect a lot.
Mike Pinter
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una colección de relatos cortos muy interesante.
Last Randall
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting story that is the kernel from which 2001: A Space Odyssey grew.
Mark
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good Collection of Stories

Another good collection of Arthur C. Clarke stories. A number of tables from The White Hart are included in this volume.
Avinash Maurya
  • A Martian Odyssey
  • The Collected Stories of Vernor Vinge
  • Last and First Men
  • The Coming of the Quantum Cats
  • Ancients of Days (Confluence, #2)
  • The Mammoth Book of Apocalyptic SF
Arthur Charles Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King

The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke (4 books)
  • History Lesson (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #1)
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
  • The Medusa Encounter (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 4)
“Think of such civilizations, far back in time against the fading afterglow of creation, masters of a universe so young that life as yet had come only to a handful of worlds. Theirs would have been a loneliness of gods looking out across infinity and finding none to share their thoughts.” 0 likes