Start by marking “Reach for Tomorrow” as Want to Read:
Reach for Tomorrow

Reach for Tomorrow

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  928 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
From the grandmaster of science fiction, a dozen memorable tales filled with wonder and imagination.

From the Paperback edition.
Published October 13th 1998 by Del Rey (first published 1956)

To ask other readers questions about Reach for Tomorrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Reach for Tomorrow

Manny
May 01, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Geeks
WARNING: THIS REVIEW IS SERIOUSLY GEEKY

When I was reading Lee Smolin’s interesting new book Time Reborn a few weeks ago, I happened to run into the following passage, which I imagine must have occupied the author’s attention for all of two minutes. He is talking about gravity:
Newton, according to legend, had this epiphany while sitting in his garden noticing apples falling from a tree as he contemplated the motion of the moon. To complete the thought, he asked another crucial question: How doe
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/376820.html[return][return]A dozen vintage Clarke short stories from the early years of his career (1945-1953). More than half I already knew - I see that "A Walk in the Dark", "Rescue Party", "The Curse", and "The Possessed" were also in The Nine Billion Names of God, and "Trouble with the Natives", "The Forgotten Enemy" and "The Fires Within" are in Of Time and Stars, of which I still have a battered Puffin copy. Oddly, "A Walk in the Dark", "Rescue Party", and "The ...more
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 21, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Fans
This is an early collection of Clarke's stories published from 1946 to 1953. The opening story is not just his first sale but the most famous--"Rescue Party." In the Preface Clarke writes "a depressing number of people still consider it my best." I'd rate other Clarke short stories higher, but I'd still rate this one high--it's my favorite of this collection. Partly for it's double twist--but also because it epitomizes so much I've found in Clarke--the optimism about humanity. Surprisingly it's ...more
Jake Gest
I don't think I've ever sat down and read a collection of short stories cover to cover before. Usually I am the type to read a few of the stories here or there between novels and epic 12 book series (uggg). I was wandering through a thrift store when I came across this book longing for something short and easy. I was not disappointed.

I think it would be silly to compare Clarke's short stories to his novels, although it is interesting to note that his most famous novel
2001: A Space Odyssey, was
Olethros
-De cuando el autor trataba de contar historias más que construir conceptos Hard que desarrollar después.-

Género. Relatos.

Lo que nos cuenta. Doce relatos del autor, escritos entre 1946 y 1953, con distintos tipos de amenaza subyacente como hilo conductor involuntario en mi opinión, y que nos llevarán desde varios momentos de nuestro pasado remoto a otros varios del lejano futuro, pasando por un contacto alienígena muy especial y distintos hallazgos técnicos, entre otros temas.

¿Quiere saber más d
Scott Golden
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of Clarke's earliest collections; it contains several of his best stories, written in his clear, unaffected style -- which is to say that, like the pulp-style stories from the 20's & 30's that Clarke grew up reading, these stories tend to focus on the situations that the characters find themselves in, rather than the characters themselves, but the quality of the writing is much better.
Michael Thompson
Jul 31, 2015 rated it it was ok
Mostly the same stories as in the Collected Works of Arthur C Clarke series. Only 2 or 3 different stories, so I breezed through this one. Earlier works, so not as thought provoking and deeply rooted in science.
Steve Klemz
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
A collection from the 40's and early 50's. Short stories that started the career of the great Arthur C. Clarke. Written shortly after the A Bomb's were dropped, so naturally they are not all that hopeful for mankind. Insect beings, lizard beings and hapless mankind. Good fun, mostly for those with an interest in classic sci-fi from the period. Worth the read, especially if you are a fan of Clarke's later works.
Will Boncher
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Never been much into short stories, but these were good, maybe I should do more.
L.
Feb 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, not all stories are as great as the first and last two. The first story is an absolute Sci-Fi masterpiece and classic, Rescue Party should be in every Sci-Fi Anthology.
Some of the shorter stories only reveal their true meaning in the last sentence which is interesting.
Phil Giunta
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Reach for Tomorrow is a collection of Arthur C. Clarke short stories culled from various sources. Overall, most stories are enjoyable but forgettable. There are some gems, however.

A Walk in the Dark: On a planet with no indigenous life, a man makes his way alone along a trail in the middle of the night to reach a spaceport. His head is filled with stories of nocturnal monsters that roam the barren lands. During his walk, fear and logic battle it out in his mind. Clarke maintains tension well wi
Felix Dance
Nov 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read this whole collection of science fiction short stories from AC Clarke’s early years in the 40s (well before the Rama and 2000 series) while on the train to Bangkok, occasionally glancing out the window at karsts and coasts while struggling to accommodate two extremely large Thai women sitting on either side of me. The stories are all vivid and imaginative – true Clarke style. One about an alien race coming to rescue humanity from a supernova, only to discover it has already left… to conqu ...more
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
I didn't think this was quite on the level of Clarke's first collection, EXPEDITION TO EARTH. There are some strong stories here--my favorites, like "The Forgotten Enemy," "The Parasite," and "The Fires Within"--relied primarily on atmosphere and that sense of cosmic perspective Clarke can so wonderfully evoke, rather than being hard sf--but not as many classics or near-classics as in that first collection. The original magazines where these appeared also suggest that: one was published in *Asto ...more
Francisco Lizardi
Feb 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Los cuentos que presenta en este libro cumplen muy bien su función, entretienen sobre manera y son muy interesantes.
khashayar
Apr 30, 2010 rated it liked it
The collection was originally published in 1956. Clarke is indeed a big name in science fiction but I should confess that - at least in my humble opinion- most of the stories in the book were not as good as I'd expected. I dont know but I find the whole idea of things like reptilian aliens quite ridiculous. Call me a pessimist but stories like 'rescue party' were quite optimistic about the future of homo sapiens. Two of the stories; however, were of high caliber: 'a walk in the dark' and 'techni ...more
ℳatthieu
Mes premiers pas dans le monde de la la science-fiction (SF).
Les nouvelles offrent un panel varié sur les différents genres SF (extra-terrestre, scientifique, psychologique). J'ai bien accroché ces deux derniers thèmes.

Les écrits datent des années 50, il y a un petit côté suranné que j'ai apprécié.

Certaines nouvelles sont si courtes que l'on peine à "rentrer dedans". Ensuite, le point qui m'a beaucoup déplu, c'est la façon dont l'auteur bâcle précipitamment et systématiquement ces récits, c'est
Guillaume
Jun 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Après avoir dévoré Le Vent Venu du Soleil, j'ai enchaîné avec Demain Moisson d'Etoiles. J'en garde un excellent souvenir général, même s'il faudrait que je relise le tout pour me faire une idée aujourd'hui.
Tout ce que je sais, c'est que c'est certainement le livre qui m'a fait aimer les récits basés autour d'un BDO (Big Dumb Object), et qui m'a mené à découvrir ensuite un de mes romans préférés, du même auteur: Rendez-Vous Avec Rama. Et rien que pour ça, je suis heureux d'avoir lu ce recueil.
Mkolakow
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Honestly, not one of the better ones by Clarke. I think I saw some other reviewers say about the same thing. If you took the name off, so you didn't know who the author was, then one might just rate things differently. I'm glad I read it - but nothing stood out as amazing.

That said, I recently got done reading Childhood's End which was amazing. So, perhaps my expectations were too high.

In any case, if you are looking for a light read, and don't want to get too invested in anything, then this is
Víctor Gutiérrez
Una vez más he de mencionar que no me gustan los cuentos, se me hacen historias muy cortas y a veces sin chiste o sin sentido. Pero tratándose de cuentos de Artgur C. Clarke o Asimov la cosa cambia. El problema es que sus cuentos son tan buenos que te quedas con ganas de más y el resultado es el mismo...que no me gustan los cuentos ;) Este libro es una colección de cuentos con un temática un tanto apocalíptica y post apocalíptica, en su mayoría situándose en un futuro lejano de la humanidad. Aun ...more
***Dave Hill
Dec 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text
(Original review: http://hill-kleerup.org/blog/2009/01/...)

Golden age 40s-50s SF at its “very clever, if not terribly personable” best. Amusing, interesting, a bit aloof, often inspired by scientific discoveries or speculation since abandoned, the book shows the reason why Clarke was one of the brightest talents in that era. It’s reconfirmed to me why I still keep his books on my crowded shelves. Out of print, available in various used editions.
Ian
Sep 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fine example of the pure mastery that was Arthur C Clarke. He left his mark on liturate with everyone of his stories and his spirit lives on through his life's work. Stimulating both scientists and dreamers he has had and will always have a profound impact on the way we view the universe around (and under) us.
D.M.
Jan 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Simple and engaging short stories. I always love reading Clarke's stuff. I miss this style of sci-fi writing in today's world. It's all about emotions and explosions and not what it's supposed to be about, exploration of possibilities. The celebration of science.
Emilie
Apr 20, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not awful but not great either. Very sci-fi in the traditional sense - aliens with tentacles and spaceships. Not what I most fancy but the writing can be humourous and length of stories is just fine so any negative points don't grate that much.
Oscar
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved them all. It's like a collection of great ideas for bigger books. Maybe he didn't put the effort that they needed and instead he put them in this collection. Anyways, it's fascinating. Like magic.
bluetyson
Reach for Tomorrow by Arthur C. Clarke (1998)
Charlotte
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Classic science fiction! Dated (it was written in the 1950's afterall) yet still satisfying and surprising.
Abram Jackson
Dec 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Masterful short stories. Many of the short stories became tropes in sci-fi.
Bob
Nov 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: syfy
A superb collection of stories with creepy overtones. The scientific imaginings are first rate and given the age of the stories, they hold up well.
Luke
Dec 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
Satisfactory anthology- the first and last are the best works.
Mike
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: true scifi buff
Shelves: scifi, xcharity-2011
"A Walk in the Dark" still gives me the chills, I hear those claws between me and my destination...
Allusion in rescue party? 1 6 May 20, 2010 10:26PM
  • Close to Critical
  • Earthman, Come Home (Cities in Flight, #3)
  • Star Songs of An Old Primate
  • The Winds of Change and Other Stories
  • The Best of All Possible Wars
  • Destination: Universe!
  • Maelstrom (Arthur C. Clarke's Venus Prime, Book 2)
  • The Dark Light Years
  • Masters of the Vortex (Lensman, #7)
  • The Last Starship from Earth
  • The Third Level
  • Infinite Dreams
  • Machineries of Joy
  • The Alien Way
  • The Whole Man
  • The Chains That You Refuse
Arthur C. Clarke was one of the most important and influential figures in 20th century science fiction. He spent the first half of his life in England, where he served in World War Two as a radar operator, before emigrating to Ceylon in 1956. He is best known for the novel and movie 2001: A Space Odyssey, which he co-created with the assistance of Stanley Kubrick.

Clarke was a graduate of King's Co
More about Arthur C. Clarke...