Start by marking “Scream Queen” as Want to Read:
Scream Queen

Scream Queen

3.14  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Six contestants. One haunted house. And a whole lot of bloody murder.

B-grade horror masters the Gowan brothers have devised a new reality TV show with a killer hook. Six contestants compete for the chance to star in an upcoming slasher movie. All they have to do is survive one night in a “haunted” house and be voted Scream Queen.

The setting is perfect: a crumbling Victor
Published April 1st 2003 by Pinnacle

To ask other readers questions about Scream Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scream Queen

Robert Beveridge
Jan 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Edo van Belkom, Scream Queen (Pinnacle, 2003)

Ah, a return to the glory days of eighties horror. Back then, there were your great writers, there were your A-list writers (who were good, but rarely approached greatness, and never with any regularity), and then, as A Christmas Story wryly tells us, there were "the nameless rabble of victims," those all-but-anonymous genre writers whose work is now lost to the wind. (That the same can be said of many of the greats in no way makes the two in any way
William M.
Jun 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
Wow! Was this book bad. Not only am I in the film industry, but I'm a huge fan of horror. So I thought this book would be perfect for me. Unfortunately, with little to no character development or atmosphere, this book is dead on arrival. I have to say, Scream Queen is the most predictable horror novel I've ever read. Every single scene I've seen done before. The author also makes quite a few mistakes when describing positions on a film crew. It's no wonder Mr. Van Belkom got his technical inform ...more
Not Now...Mommy's Reading
Jun 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Okay, there is no mention of a movie being made from this book, but in my humble opinion - there should be! The book itself reads as though you're watching the story unfold on a movie screen. I enjoyed it. True, it wasn't scary enough to make me lose a night of sleep (hence the 4 star and not 5 star rating - sick, huh? *laugh) but I did have to peek over my shoulder from time to time. *laugh I have to agree with one reader that the story seemed to just - end - but then I think that was the purpo ...more
Dominick
Jan 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror
Schlock horror film makers decide to do a reality show as a stunt method to cast their next film: the one who can last the night in a haunted house also rigged with scary sfx wins the lead role in the movie. Of course the house is really haunted, of course the bodies start piling up, and of course the whole thing is rather formulaic and tired. It's not bad, but it's nowhere near a classic. I had a hard time buying into it.
Maggie
Aug 20, 2007 rated it liked it
A quick and dirty super-horror-wannabe. There's a reality show that's occurring in a creepy haunted house that no one on the production staff bothered to learn about. Badly done, people. It turns out there was a crazy doctor and his wacky experiments, and the house is coming to life. Pretty typical, sometimes a little lame and obvious, but perfectly suitable for a dark and stormy night when the lights go out.
Jeremy Hurd-McKenney
I would say that there are enough holes in this plot to drive a truck through, but even that couldn't be done correctly.

Usually with this kind of throwaway crap horror, you at least get some good blood, guts, and cheap scares, but this has none of this. Everything is extremely underwritten--gore, characterization, motive. Also, with its lack of explanation or story resolution, it seems as if the author neglected to finish the book.
Rich
Mar 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: do-not-own
A reality tv show is created in which a group of people must stay overnight in a "haunted" house in order to win cash and prizes. The only problem is that the house is really haunted. I enjoyed the humor throughout the story and the ending was well done. The author could have done better with the character development. There were too many characters killed off to just make all of them so bland. Also, a story about a haunted house needs to SCARE ME!
Brett
Jan 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was my favourite book I have ever read, hands down. I read it in a matter of a day, and I still bring it up every time I am recommending books to my friends. His writing style is so raw, and descriptive. I felt like I was THERE. I will keep this book forever, and reread it every chance I get.
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
Interesting book. I thought it was funny how it was based on a reality show. I remember giving this book to my younger sister afterward and she read it and slept in my Mom's bed for about a week!! Priceless!!!
Angie crosby
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: alex, horror
Slow at first but once they were in the house it got good. Good creep factor, could have been better though. Good ending.
Karen
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
Ike & Erwin are making a reality TV show but how real is it? Jody and the other contestants will find out. Is what they must survive really worth it?
Amanda Lyons
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
This never quite worked as it should have. I suppose some of it might have been my lack of interest in films with a similar plot.
Kristie
Jan 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Easy read with an unexpected ending.
Shar
Dec 14, 2017
Katie Hop
Sep 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Bram Stoker and Aurora Award-winner Edo van Belkom is the author of over 200 stories of horror, science fiction, fantasy, and mystery. As an editor, he has four anthologies to his credit that include two books for young adults, Be Afraid! (A Canadian Library Association Young Adult Book of the Year finalist) and Be Very Afraid! (An Aurora Award winner — Best Work in English). Born in Toronto, van ...more