Start by marking “His Burial Too (Inspector Sloan #5)” as Want to Read:
His Burial Too (Inspector Sloan #5)

His Burial Too

(Inspector Sloan #5)

Murder in the Tower

At 11:30 p.m. in the old Saxon church tower at Randall’s Bridge, a huge statue toppled and smashed. Heavy blocks of broken marble now lay up against the doors, barring any exit. The solitary window was too narrow for a man to pass through; the belfry high above led only to the steep roof which rose beyond the reach of any ladder. When Detective Inspector
Published by Bantam Books (first published 1973)

To ask other readers questions about His Burial Too, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about His Burial Too

Damaskcat
May 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Richard Tindall has disappeared. He is normally extremely reliable and informs everyone who needs to know of his whereabouts. His car has been returned to his garage with the keys in it but the man himself is not in it and his bed has not been slept in. His daughter is worried and the police are informed. They are not too concerned at first as there is no indication of foul play. Then workmen installing central heating in a village church find their access blocked to the tower by a heap of broke ...more
Julie
Jun 25, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This was a fun read which took me back to the 1970's in England. I had to chuckle at the reference to Chicago, "A missing man and a dead one in one Division. This isn't Chicago." I also enjoyed the reference to an children's radio program called, "Listen with Mother," which aired on BBC radio from 1950-1982. The lady host with the enthusiastic sing-song voice would begin with the question, "Are you sitting comfortably?" (pause) "Then, I will begin...." The reference from this books is: "I may no ...more
Nancy Oakes
Oh dear! This installment (#5 in the series) finds our dear friend Detective Inspector Sloan and his trusty sidekick Crosby looking into the strangest murder. It seems that a man was killed when a rather large and heavy marble statue falls on him, but the debris took up so much room that it blocked all exits into the room. However, only the dead body is found there. This one's a fun "locked room" typed mystery with a unique solution.

Again, a pretty average entry in the British mystery genre; if
Deborah
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
A reprint from Rue Morgue press. I've read several of her titles and have enjoyed all of them. If you like small British towns with quirky characters, this author is a good choice. Well written and an easy beach read.
Barbi
Sep 13, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Really a one star for me. I like this series a lot so I'll give two stars... but this entry was not up to the usual standard.
Jazz
3 STARS | As I've come to expect from Catherine Aird, this puzzle mystery starts off with a delicious bang when a seemingly ghastly piece of statuary (why else hide it in a church's confining bell tower?) falls over at midnight, crushing a man beneath it. There is no entry or exit from the bell tower once the marble debris blocks the doors. So who pushed it over, and how and why? And how did the murderer himself escape the bell tower? It was an intriguing puzzle, but the characters in this one d ...more
Clare Snow
How does she come up with these deaths!? Marble statues are lethal.
Dave
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nice locked-room mystery briskly done.

Only wish that Aird wouldn’t make so many sentences into paragraphs.

Distracting, that.

But you get used to it.

Almost.
Katie Bee
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015-books-read
Enjoyed this one a lot, despite the solution being clear from the beginning (both the murderer and the mysterious murder method). In large part I think this was due to the victim's daughter, who was a strong secondary character and one that effectively tugged at the reader's sympathy. Plus there were little background characters that made the most of limited pagetime.
Kerrie
Apr 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a delightful cozy. There are bodies of course but even their demise is scientifically achieved. In fact the whole plot of the novel is rather intricately based around patents, science, and secrets.

There's humour too and some interesting characters, ambition, and deception. Through all the author lays out the clues for the reader to sift through and to decide who the culprit is
Cindy
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: mystery lovers
Shelves: mysteries
This classic locked room mystery has a wry twist. A fussy, predictable scientist is found crushed to death inside a church. The police have to discover how the crime was committed before they can discover who committed it.

CMB
JodiP
Aug 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Jeremy B. gave me this book--it was in his ocndo's library! I just lvoed it. It is full of good, sly humor and the mystery was well done, with well-drawn, sometimes eccentric characters. So great to have yet anothr mystery series to read.
Christine
Aug 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
An excellent variation of the locked room mystery, with a dash of industrial espionage and Italian intrigue added in for good measure. Sloan is an engaging detective and Crosby is a hilariously inept assistant. Anyone who likes Ngaio Marsh or Ruth Rendell should try Catherine Aird.
Kenzie
Dec 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
if you like Agatha Christie, then you may like this book as well. A very different mystery from the ones written these days - i found it very engaging.
Cindy
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: catherine-aird
I loved how the author weaves her story and all the characters move in to play. Very Agatha Christie like.
I like Inspector Sloan.
Terri
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
I keep looking and looking for a new series of mysteries. British, cozy and smart. This isn't it.

Girl comes back from Italy to care for her recently widowed father and he disappears along with an important file from work. The poor man is found crushed to death under a huge statue, in a room where there is no apparent way out. Elaborate suicide or engenius murder? Sounds like a good premise, but the rest, the settings, the characters, the writing style all fell flat for me.
Robert Palmer
We are once again in the county of Calleshir England and the disappearance of The recently widowed Richard Tindal, a missing man in the Calleshir division,good heavens is this Chicago?
Detective inspector Sloan and constable Crosby are on the case,Richard Tindals body was found in a Church tower crushed to death ,is this another of those locked room mysteries?
And all the Kings horses and all the Kings men couldn’t put Richard Tindal together again!
Mirachil27
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sloane's Dry Wit

I laughed out loud at the patter between CD Sloane and his sidekick Crosby, his boss and Happy Harry the traffic guy! Sloane has a down-to-earth, cynically witty view of life, born of being smarter than most of his colleagues. The plot is interesting enough, but it's the characters that shine in this book. I look forward to reading other CD Sloane books from Catherine Aird.
Kiwi Carlisle
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
As amusing as ever, this Catherine Aird novel gives the wordy pathologist, Dr. Dabbe, a bigger role, and establishes him as a full member of the detective team. The novel features a novel and complex murder method that ends up being cogently explained despite its complexity. It's fun to read, though a little short on the acidly funny female characters Aird writes so well.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Okay for a downtime read, but the reveal scene was way too long and convoluted for my taste. She could have shown the killer being arrested, but chose to tell us about it as already done and dusted. That cost stars. Also, what was the deal with the women's shoes on the golf course? That just went nowhere. Not my favourite of the series so far.
Betty Torma
Jul 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good mystery lots of red herrings and a fun touch

Very enjoyable and not very dated. Fun to read and a good puzzle to solve. Characters in the series are realistic, but there is very little of their background. I think of the coincidence of knowing about the pendulum is a little much, but maybe in the time the book was written more people knew about it.
Elizabeth
Jan 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: england, own
I just love this series! There are times when Inspector Sloan reminds me of another beloved crime fighter; Sheriff Dan Rhodes.
I highly recommend this book, as well as the series, to any British manor house cozy fan.
Vintagebooklvr
Aug 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
2 1/2 stars. An average mystery. The solution is clever but it is not going to immediately occur the average mystery. There is some humor, but there were more wry comments in Stately Home Mystery.
Pat
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The motivation was insufficient.

But the rest was interesting. I enjoy this series. And I need eleven more words according to Amazon to p
Susan
Dec 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
British humor! A statuette falls! How?
Pat Beard
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Nice locked room mystery.
Maura Heaphy
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good old fashioned murder mystery, which I enjoy more for a glimpse into British life in the 60s and early 70s than for the writing style or the sharp insights into the human condition. Aird's depiction of the little market towns of the fictional "Calleshire" (her version of Midsomer, for cozy mystery fans) is a real trip down memory lane for anyone who lived in Britain in the 1970s.

For this outing for Inspector Sloan and his less-than trusty side-kick, DC Crosby (the fifth novel in her long-run
Carol Best
Not my favourite...but still a good mystery.
Bookish
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Aird is a master of the traditional cozy. Next!
Susan
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-england
How did Fenella's father die? He was crushed by a falling statue in what seems to be a locked room.
  • Tether's End (Albert Campion Mystery, #16)
  • A Wreath for Rivera (Roderick Alleyn, #15)
  • Miss Silver Comes to Stay (Miss Silver, #16)
  • Murder on the Blackboard
  • Pictures of Perfection (Dalziel & Pascoe, #14)
  • Howtown (Henry Rios Mystery, #3)
  • They Rang Up the Police (Inspector Guy Northeast series #1)
  • Wobble to Death (Sergeant Cribb #1)
  • The Saint's Getaway (The Saint #9)
  • Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4)
  • Fell Purpose (Bill Slider, #12)
  • Maigret and the Black Sheep
  • Frozen
  • The Affair of the Blood-Stained Egg Cosy (Burford Family, #1)
  • Funeral Music
  • Landed Gently
  • Dangerous Davies, the Last Detective
Catherine Aird (born 1930) is the pseudonym of author Kinn Hamilton McIntosh. She was born in Huddersfield, Yorkshire, and is the author of more than twenty crime fiction novels and story collections. Her writings are similar to those of Vivien Armstrong, M C Beaton and Pauline Bell.

Aird is creator of the Sloan and Crosby novels, set in the CID department of the fictional Berebury, West Calleshire

Inspector Sloan (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Religious Body (Inspector Sloan #1)
  • Henrietta Who? (Inspector Sloan #2)
  • The Stately Home Murder (Inspector Sloan #3)
  • A Late Phoenix (Inspector Sloan #4)
  • Slight Mourning (Inspector Sloan #6)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • Some Die Eloquent (Inspector Sloan #8)
  • Passing Strange (Inspector Sloan #9)
  • Last Respects (Inspector Sloan #10)
  • Harm's Way (Inspector Sloan #11)
“Not even the Superintendent could play about with gravity.” 0 likes