Start by marking “Doctor Who and the Crusaders” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who and the Crusaders

Doctor Who and the Crusaders

(Doctor Who Library (Target) #12)

The first Doctor meets Richard the Lionheart in the Third Crusade, in a new fascimile edition of the long out-of-print original 1960s edition. When Barbara is captured by the Saracens and later kidnapped by the monstrous El Akir, Ian appeals to Richard for help, but despite having achieved a splendid victory over Saladin at Arauf the English King has his own troubles and ...more
Published May 12th 1983 by Target Books, W.H. Allen (first published September 1965)

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who and the Crusaders, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Doctor Who and the Crusaders

Start your review of Doctor Who and the Crusaders
Ken
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Crusades is one of the few First Doctor historicals that just doesnt seem to click with me.

As this is the third and final novelisation from the 1960s its quite telling that this was written before the main Target range was launched.
Whittaker is allowed to tell hes story without the restricted page count. Even though Im not a big fan of the story, this does lead to some wonderful descriptive prose.

Its just a shame that they didnt novelise more around this time, as I would have loved to have
Michael
Jun 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who, 2011
In the early development of the world's longest running Sci-fi tv series the producers set out to educate as well as entertain. So every so often the monsters and alien planets made way for a purely Terran historic story that usually involved the Doctor and crew getting separated from the Tardis early on, followed by a tricky entanglement in established history. The BBC excelled at this sort of thing. Unfortunately most kids preferred the weird worlds, ray guns and Daleks to Marco Polo, The ...more
Pam
I was hoping to read about one of the lost Doctor Who stories by reading this book. I love Hartnell and I love when Doctor Who goes back in time so I was excited to start it.

I hadn't gotten very far into the book when I got very sick with bacterial meningitis and ended up in a coma in the hospital. My aunt came to stay with me and found this book on my bedside table at home, so she brought it to the hospital to read to me.

I can remember her reading sections of the book to me after I woke up
Mel
Jan 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was another wonderful historical for the team of the first Doctor, Ian and Barbara. After reading the "modern" novelisation of the first Doctor it was so much better to go back and read one of his actual adventures. To be fair though this was really an Ian and Barbara adventure rather than a Doctor who adventure. The Doctor and Vicki had very minor roles and mostly it was Ian and Barbara (who were in LOVE!) who had most of the action and adventures. What was great about this was that they ...more
Johnny
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: science-fiction
In Doctor Who and the Crusaders, this was not the doctor I enjoyed the mostolder, academic, detached, and less emotionally invested than others, at least in my perception. In another review, I stated that Terence Dicks wrote the novelizations from the series which I enjoy the most and David Whitaker didnt change my mind with this 1973 novelization. Unlike many of the Doctor Who novelizations, Doctor Who and the Crusaders (the Target Book edition published originally in England) offers a ...more
Hiram Lester
Doctor Who and the Crusaders is the novelization of the Hartnell story, The Crusade, a story which is partially missing. This is the last of the original three pre-Target novelizations which also included Doctor Who in an Exciting Adventure with the Daleks (later renamed to Doctor Who and the Daleks) and Doctor Who and the Zarbi .

I fairly recently watched the serial The Crusade, so I was able to compare it somewhat with this novelization, which was written by David Whitaker who also wrote the
Warren Fournier
One of the first of the Doctor Who novels...

Published when William Hartnell was still in his third season playing the Doctor on television, fighting the Monoids in "The Ark," this was the third ever Doctor Who novel. It is written by the original screenwriter of the half-missing serial "The Crusade," and contains illustrations by Henry Fox. It is one of the weaker stories from the Hartnell era in my opinion, and the book is therefore mediocre, though I feel it is superior to the original
Daniel
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: doctor-who
I enjoyed the story quite a bit. The setting of the Crusades was a great one. The book had some dated terms for certain races/peoples, but it was not overall too dated or racist when dealing with both sides of the Crusades. I think this is because it is a Doctor Who story and is hopeful about humanity similar to Star Trek's general outlook.
The Crusading Christians and Defending Muslims both had strong good characters and bad, evil characters. Just like any normal sample of random people.
The
Julia
Mar 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who, 2019
It's another novelasation of TV story that got lost. I really enjoy the history-episodes and so I'm glad that I could learn about it this way.
I listened to the audiobook brilliantly performed by William Russel (Ian Chesterton) - And talking about Ian: He and Barbara are clearly the heroes of this story. The Doctor is just there and steals clothes ;-) It seems to be a habit.
I enjoyed it! And I hope they find the TV-material oneday.

Viola
I liked the televised version of this story so I was excited to read it in book form. Sadly it didn't work out too well: I found myself bored and even ended up skimming some parts. And it's only 163 pages!
Emilou
Oct 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This was kind of a boring episode. The Doctor didn't even do anything. Most of the action came from Ian and Barbara. I'm also getting a little sick of how all Barbara seems to be is a pretty face and a damsel in distress. It seems all the episodes are centered around rescuing her.
Jeff Correll
Not much of the Doctor in this one.
It was an OK read, actually more of a 2.5 star book.
Jason
Aug 21, 2019 rated it did not like it
My least favourite DR Who book. I remember this was long boring and a real slog to get through as a kid. I wanted monsters and aliens and weird stuff. Not a boring history lesson!
Paul Tokarski
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't put the book down
Arrun
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Doctor Who and the Crusaders was originally published in 1965 as part of a trilogy of books by Frederik Muller Limited (other books were "Doctor Who in an exciting adventure with the Daleks", "Doctor Who and the Zarbi"). The whole trilogy has recently been rereleased, however this time by BBC Books in the style of the 60s originals.
In terms of faithfulness to the much sought after originals, BBC books has done a marvellous job. They are very good reproductions indeed. Right down to the spine
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/1022168.ht...[return]Doctor Who and the Crusaders is the only one of the 1960s Who novels to have been drawn from a four-part rather than seven-part story, and Whitaker makes full use of the extra space this gives him to expand on his own original material. His opening paragraph is pretty memorable:[return][return]As swiftly and as silently as a shadow, Doctor Who s Space and Time ship, Tardis, appeared on a succession of planets each as different as the pebbles on a ...more
Andrew
This is a really enjoyable book.
A the information at the back of the book states, it does differ in many mays from the televised version, and was also one of the first three Doctor Who novels ever published.
So what makes it so good? Well, the first thing is that, apart from our lead characters and their method of transport, this is not a Science Fiction story at all. Once the characters are enmeshed in events, there are no gimmicks to help them out. It is a story about how the character deal
Sean LeBeau
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
The third and last original novelization from the 60s (Target wouldnt start creating new ones until the 70s) and originally illustrated, to boot. The Crusaders has the feel of the possibility of a movie being made from it (such as with The Daleks, and The Dalek Invasion of Earth). Consequently, it is slightly more dramatized than later novelizations and plays on Ians heroics and the possibility of a romance between him and Barbara. Its a good story though, well written, and leaves you wanting ...more
Avril
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second of the printed Target novelisations that I've read - and I can understand their popularity, especially given that the books provided a chance to revisit episodes on those far-off days before videos and DVDs. Well-written, adapted by the author of the television episodes, with no budget or special effects' limitations, this is a very good children's book.

It does have a little more romance than the television programme: 'Barbara looked across at Ian, stretched out a hand and held his. A
Reuben Herfindahl
Jan 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure how I'd missed reading this one before. In my head I thought I'd read it, but this was definitely a new one and not a re-read. For some odd reason (maybe because the recovery of "The Lion" was the first lost episode that was recovered in the internet era) I've probably watched/listened to this episode more than almost any other first Doctor story.

The differs some but is a fun fast read, and is charming for some of it's anacronisms (you can tell it was written in the mid 60's).

My only
Leilani
Listened to the audiobook version read by William Russell, who played Ian Chesterton on the show. His reading added a lot to the story, with excellent characterizations and an overall liveliness. The last track with his reflections on the characters and the difference in the adaptation was a nice bonus.

The story itself was an entertaining adventure, naturally rife with anachronisms, in which our Manly Hero Ian rescues Intelligent Brave Damsel in Distress Barbara from a terrible fate, and the
Iain
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
The interesting intro tells us that Doctor Who was originally created as an educational series for children that wouldn't let them realise they were being educated. As such, they would alternate one sci-fi story with a historically-based one.

Crusaders was, obviously, one of these history lessons and it makes for a very good story. The Doctor barely plays a part in in, the majority being focussed on two of his companions and the people of the era. It's a right swords and sandals epic set around
Adam Stone
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, doctor-who
Doctor Who and the Crusaders is a novelisation of the four-part Doctor Who story broadcast in 1965 featuring Julian Glover as Richard the Lionheart also known as the story where Ian is proclaimed a Knight of Jaffa.

The novelisation is written by David Whitaker who wrote the television story and this is a much richer version of the story than what we saw on screen; there is more violence and the story is also more adult in tone.

Written by an author steeped in that particular era of the show the
Leah
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The doctor who books go to a way darker place then I have seen on the episodes. I guess book format lends itself better to that then the 60's television format. The author can go deeper into it, go into the mind of the character and create a better understanding of the dangers the characters face. It was quite a departure from the TV episodes. Of course, it still has the campy ending where everything that happened washes away as soon as they step into the TARDIS. I guess there is no excaping ...more
Travis
Nov 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
The old Doctor Who historical stories were fun. Too bad they stopped doing them on the show, They should try and do some on the new series.

This book has the First Doctor and company caught up in the events of the Crusades and of course, meeting King Richard.

Not sure how historically accurate these stories were, but they make for a decent read and might have even helped to get a couple kids interested in history. Never a bad thing.

Samuel
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it
Listened to the CD version read by William Russell. This is from the time period in the 1960's when Doctor Who's production team was commanded by the execs to focus more on historical pieces and lessons. This was the typical...split everyone up and get them captured plot...so the Doctor can maneuver events by impersonating historical figures and subsequently save them. Kept my interest and was fun...although, I do prefer the scifi/monster stories more.
Scott James
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
My reaction to this book may be colored somewhat by the dismal failure of the previous novelization, but the crusaders was a really good read.

Since the original serial is lost to time, this book was my first exposure to the story, and I wish I'd been able to watch it with my own eyes. But Whitaker's serve us well in this retelling, and as such we can all enjoy a story that otherwise would be gone forever.

Matthew Kilburn
Feb 07, 2016 rated it liked it
A great exercise in prose adaptation of the author's television script, sharply aware of the issues being presented, but somehow it has always seemed to me lacking in incident. Still worth reading as an early example of Doctor Who and the only 1960s historical serial to be novelised within a year or so of its transmission.
Glenn
Mar 30, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better than the TV story (missing episodes aside) and really made me appreciate the story that David Whitaker was trying to tell in the series. He really has a chance to flesh out and give more depth to the characters. He especially better defines the relationship between Ian and Barbara. Warning: as with most Doctor Who stories, don't go into it expecting historical accuracy.
Adam
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The second Doctor Who novelisation to be written by David Whitaker (the first was Doctor Who and the Daleks). Unlike the first, this feels a more rounded work, and one in which Whitaker turns a script into a novel in its own right. It also shows that Doctor Who was originally planed as a program to teach about science and history.

• Doctor Who: Shada
  • Борьба в эфире
  • Aggression in Personality Disorders and Perversions
  • The Land Ironclads
  • Christina Alberta's Father
  • Sweet Venom (Melissa Craig, #12)
  • Another Girl, Another Planet
  • The Napoleon of Notting Hill
  • Doctor Who: Dreams of Empire
  • Doctor Who: Vanderdeken's Children
  • Doctor Who: Zeta Major
  • Ghoul
  • S.O.S. from Three Worlds
David Whitaker was an English screenwriter and novelist best known for his work in the early days of the British science fiction television series Doctor Who. He served as the series' first story editor working on the programme's first fifty one episodes in this capacity.

Doctor Who Library (Target) (1 - 10 of 161 books)
  • Doctor Who and the Abominable Snowmen