Start by marking “Plunge: Crafting the Uncommon Midlife” as Want to Read:
Plunge: Crafting the Uncommon Midlife

Plunge: Crafting the Uncommon Midlife

Crooked Island, Bahamas. It was in the Bermuda Triangle, Hurricane Alley and had all manner of biting insects. Somehow all Fritz Damler and Mari Anderson saw was paradise. One short year after visiting friends there, they traded their stateside lives for a boat, an oceanside acre and four winters of hand-crafting a new home, and new life.
Plunge in with them as they immers
Published May 27th 2011 by Tinkertown Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Plunge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plunge

Claudine
Jul 26, 2013 rated it liked it
This was certainly an interesting book and quite well written, but, although the story of a couple's midlife relocation to the Bahamas is an intriguing topic, it felt more like a personal diary than a novel for mass publication. The most interesting aspect of the book was its alternating chapter format - one chapter from his perspective and one from hers - and how they clashed! That was quite humorous.
Nikki Jennings
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have downloaded so many books onto my Kindle that it's got a little crazy already, so how come this one came up trumps for me?

The couple who wrote this book were of a similar age to myself, plus, a little like me, were going through their own "mid life crisis"..... what could be simpler than abandoning a "normal" life to build your own home on a small island in the Caribbean Sea??!!!

Their trials & tribulations are a refreshing read, written by alternating partners throughout, it's lovely t
Nancy Holte
Jul 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I almost stopped reading this book before I was very far into it because I wasn't sure if I'd find it interesting or not based on the first few pages. BUT, I decided that it was someone's story, and other people's stories are always interesting to me so I pressed on. This brave couple, Mari and Fritz, gave up their life in Albuquerque, NM to move to a remote island in the Bahamas. I'm going to be honest with you, nothing in their story sounded appealing to me (except the living in the Bahamas in ...more
Nico
Jan 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I liked the idea behind this book: a couple sets out to follow their dream and move to an island paradise. sounds great. but they choose to do everything the hardest way possible. the Island is so remote that getting there is an issue, they don't just buy a house that already stands, they decide to build one. all this takes a long time, and there are adventures of being off the beaten path along the way. a little slow moving in the middle of the book.
MaryAnn
Jul 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: owned
I started this book a few months ago and couldn't really get in to it. Enter snowmaggedon Ion and I decided a book about the Bahamas was just what I needed. The two authors (male and female) take turns with the chapters. This was a little annoying and confusing until I realized the chapters written by the woman were headed with a starfish symbol and the ones by the guy had a shark symbol. Never going to win a Pulitzer but a pleasant diversion from Ion.
Diane
Oct 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting story written by a couple who decided, in midlife, to by property and build a house on a Bahamian Island. They sold their house and business in New Mexico and split time between the island in the Bahamas and Washington Island off the coast of Door County Wisconsin. Between building a house on one island and rebuilding a historic structure on the other island, Mari got breast cancer.
Amber
Jul 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. Loved the "plunge" these guys took by leaving their life in AZ and heading for an island retreat. Loved the way it was written, loved the relationship, loved the description of all the crazy adventures. Even loved the dog. Fast read, makes you smile, now I want to know what these two are up to today! Now what will my plunge be????
Edmond Porter
Jul 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Bravo to a brave couple for taking the plunge into a lifestyle they had dreamed about. Most of us could not or would not be able to make the decision to do something so dramatic with our lives. For those of us who need structure and predictability this would be too frightening experience to even think about, let alone do.
Diane Belliveau
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this story!! Top notched writing, well told story about a couple who build a home on an island in Bermuda. They had struggles along the way, including Mari's bout with cancer. They shared telling the story, which I really enjoyed.
Gina
Sep 05, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting true account of a couple who leave civilization behind to settle on a little island in the Caribbean. It told about their trials and tribulations and the reasons they did it. I liked it.
Helen Douglas
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fascinating book that I read on holiday. I really enjoyed this book, an easy reader about a complete change of lifestyle. I found the change of author with the chapter slightly confusing sometimes but I would love to read more about this couples adventures.
Dineen
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a fun read! I love reading books about life's adventures!
Wanda
Jun 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book about deciding to make a change in midlife. Explains the challenges and joys of building and living on a remote island.
Chris
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
A nice memoir/journal of the adventures of a couple who moved to the Bahamas. Their trials and celebrations are interesting and make me realize that I would never be so intrepid!
Patricia Eichenlaub
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting but rather superficial. Details of building a home in the Bahamas interesting but not the most insightful story I have read of such adventures.
Cindy
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed this book. I admire people who can give up so much and work so hard to enjoy life to the full.
Debra Thompson
Aug 04, 2013 rated it liked it
First download from BookBub. Interesting chronicle of making BIG changes at next stage of life. I'd love to visit Mari and Fritz on their Crooked Island!
Nancy
Mar 01, 2014 rated it liked it
good book - I felt like I knew the two of them.
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well-written journal of the leap to paradise. It wasn't a journey without trial and yet there is humor added in to the telling.
Nancy Kennedy
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
After all these light as a feather reads, it was fun to delve into a memoir about chucking everything and moving to the Bahamas. What a life. I couldn't do it, but a person can always dream!
Leslie
Aug 03, 2013
Elizabeth
Aug 24, 2013
Tiffany
rated it did not like it
Jul 26, 2013
Jul 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Line, the Itch and the Rabbit Hole
  • We Never Lost Hope: A Holocaust Memoir and Love Story
  • The Mind-Made Prison: Overcoming Limiting Beliefs and Manifesting Personal Transformation
  • Astronomy For Amateurs (Illustrated Edition)
  • Pope John XXIII: The Good Pope
  • Not Like My Mother:Becoming a sane parent after growing up in a CRAZY family
  • South of Normal
  • My Mom My Hero -Alzheimer's, A Mother and Daughter's Bittersweet Journey
  • Americashire: A Field Guide to a Marriage
  • You've Gone Too Far This Time
  • Abandoned Ship: An Intimate Account of the Costa Concordia Shipwreck
  • Caged: Memoirs of a Cage-Fighting Poet
  • His First, Her Last: The Incredible True Story of an American Lost in the Philippines
  • Tasting Home: Coming of Age in the Kitchen
  • Plan on It
  • The Only Way to Paradise
  • How and When to Be Your Own Doctor
  • Dreams of Eli
Mari Anderson is a writer, graphic designer and illustrator. She sold her advertising and design company in the late 1990's to sail off with her husband to a remote island in the Bahamas, trading heels for sandals and nail polish for nails (and hammers).

She began writing many of the stories that now appear in Plunge: Crafting the Uncommon Midlife, soon after becoming a winter resident of Crooked I