Start by marking “You Only Love Twice” as Want to Read:
You Only Love Twice

You Only Love Twice

3.5  ·  Rating details ·  408 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Bestselling author Elizabeth Thornton triumphs with this thrilling blend of sensuous historical romance and heart-stopping suspense.

For three years she’s been a mystery even to herself—a young woman who awoke in a London convent bereft of her memory. But now Jessica Hayword knows her name, her birthplace, and one other thing: By some terrifying twist of fate, she has th
Published February 2nd 1998 by Bantam (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about You Only Love Twice, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Only Love Twice

Ririn
Mar 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: gr-my-15
A well written book, but too much misunderstanding between the hero and heroin. Their chemistry was not strong enough to pull out the (mis)trust issue. Sad to say, for a romance book, I was more into the mystery than the romance.
Elizabeth
Scooby-dooby doo, where are you?

I really wanted to like this book more, but it just kept reminding me of a scooby do episode. The romance and the main characters could have used more development but more significantly the main plot device just made me cringe.

The main character, Sister Margaret, whom we soon learn is actually Jessica, is suffering from amnesia and has been staying in a convent for three years since an accident. Someone finally rescues her so she is brought back to her home town
Koki
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessika to v živote nemala veľmi ľahké. Každý ju pozná ako svojhlavú rozmaznanú dcérku svojho nepodareného, večne opitého otca. Nečudo, že po tom, ako ho zavraždia a ona sa na tri roky záhadne stratí, myslia si, že svojho otca zavraždila ona. Jessika sa vracia do rodného mesta a jej úlohou je vypátrať otcovho vraha. Na tejto ťažkej ceste jej pomáha Lucas, muž, ktorého Jessika milovala už dlhé roky...

Jessike sa pamäť stále nevracia a z vraždy otca obviňuje každého - dokonca i Lucasa.

Čitateľ zve
Elizabeth
Sep 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This felt like a bit of a mess to start with, with an overly perfect heroine and bland male characters. I nearly stopped reading. However, the mystery kept me interested and it did improve based on this. The romance still wasn't great. 3 stars or 2.5 romance stars
Cary
Oct 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This plot was original and the characters felt real and it was clean... what more could I ask for? I'm not sure but whatever makes it four stars was missing for me.
~Leslie~
Feb 11, 2012 rated it liked it
3.5 stars I really vacillate between 3.5 and 4 stars on this one. I really loved the premise of the story, I loved the author's writing, and I thought the execution of the story was very good. The tension was kept throughout and the character development was very good as well. I had never read this author before and so didn't know what to expect. This is somewhat in the gothic romance sphere and I really loved that aspect of it. The story starts with our heroine in a convent hearing a Voice who ...more
Becky
Apr 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: historical, library
The story wasn't horrible, but most of the dialogue was so stilted it really detracted from my overall enjoyment of this book. There were also some distracting ebook formatting issues that (I hope, anyway) probably wouldn't have existed in the print book. Frequently within conversations a response to the first character's comment was continued on the same line as the original dialogue, which made it challenging to follow the conversation--I often had to stop, go back, and figure out which charac ...more
Dawn
Aug 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Sister Martha is living in a convent where she is a postulant. Her Mother Superior thinks Sister Martha is one of the hardest working nuns she has ever met but there is a small complication of Sister Martha having no idea of who she is or where she came from. Then one night Sister Martha gets an image of someone planning a murder and this one event seems to set off a series of domino's. Soon after this vision Sister Martha finds out she is not so perfect, shortly after that a patient in the clin ...more
Jessi
Interesting story. Does it take anyone else awhile to get into stories when characters have their names? Just me? Okay.
So. Jessica Hayward lost her memory and has spent the last three years living with nuns. But, lately, she's been hearing a voice in her head. One that wants to kill. Then one day someone recognizes her and she is returned to her home, to people who are less than thrilled she's returned.
The local earl, Lucas Wilde, is a former crush of Jessica's. In fact, she tormented him. To th
Amanda
Mar 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
The description of this book is ludicrous as is the first couple chapters. The heroine has a connection with a murderer -- she can tell that he's going to kill again. She must do everything she can to stop him.

The story improves a slight bit from there. Unfortunately, none of the characters are particularly redeeming as they continually do terrible things to each other. If the heroine had any sense, she'd have thrown out the hero on his ear immediately. But I guess wild animal lust or something
Michelle Robinson
I was disappointed with the direction that the author chose to go with her book, sounds silly, I know. I expected more depth and while I stopped reading shortly after finding out the trite ( though meanspirited) reason everyone dislikes our heroine, I would have rather the reason be related to the heroine and her character. It would have been more interesting, in my opinion, to see her have real character issues to work through. Or to learn some negative things about herself and face those, othe ...more
Anneliese Bennion
Jul 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
My favorite part about this book is finding out about Jessica's past when she does. She has lost her memory and lived in a convent for three years. Then someone recognizes her and she is forced to go back to her childhood home. While there she is trying to retrieve her lost memories, catch her father's murderer and figure out whether she really was in love Lucas, her next door neighbor, before she lost her memory. I liked how you were always guessing who the murderer might be, and besides the nu ...more
Cheryl
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, ya
This one was just weird. Amnesia sends a girl to a convent for three years, until someone recognizes her, gives her her name and a clue as to where to find her old life.

There's murder and conspiracy and romance... but there's also telepathy? Yeah, that was the weird part. Something you don't expect in the regency formula, and frankly, didn't really need it.

The characters were inconsistent (and I don't mean just because amnesia was involved). The hero was all over the place. Between him and Jess'
Olivia
Jun 05, 2012 rated it liked it
This was almost a carbon copy of Mary Stewart's Touch Not the Cat. Heroine with a phychic ablility to connect with another person, the heroine's father is murdered and she is trying to find the killer, and throw in a love story. Not a bad story, just not great. I found the lost memory of the heroine to be a bit much, but almost believeable. At least the writing was very good and I did like the characters.
Joan Osborne
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly entertaining

This was a highly entertaining romance with just a tiny bit of the paranormal and a whole lot of mystery. Lucas and Jessica were an wonderful couple and I enjoyed their interactions. The story kept me guessing as to who the mysterious VOICE of the murderer was. Also enjoyed the added bonus of a second romance between Lucas's mother Rosemary and Sir Michael. Totally awesome story and one I am likely to never forget.
Sheila
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read2011
I read this book piecemeal in between bouts of packing and moving, and that may have been a bit too distracting. I don't know, though...I liked it up until the end, where seventeen things resolved themselves like ducklings lining up behind their mama. It was kind of dizzying, and I don't think that's the vertigo speaking.
Joanne
May 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Sadly this author passed on in 2010, but she was one heck of an author!!! I loved this romance historical. Not only romance, but suspense, who done it, which I love, in romance books......love mystery's, suspense and mind reading!!! Excellent read!!!!!!!
Melann
Oct 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Le livre avait le potentiel mais il manque à chaque fois quelque chose. L'auteur ne va jamais à fond des sentiments des personnages, qui sont très sympathiques. Il manque une certaine intensité, dommage.
Hess
Nov 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I surprisingly didn't hate this book. Regency romances don't do it for me....all those heaving bosoms and insipid, shallow women....Urk... This one had lots of those but what I liked was the heroine wasn't one of them...and the hero is not too much of an ass. I'd recommend it if asked.
Anita Mccurdy
Jan 06, 2013 rated it liked it
It was an ok book. Definitely wasn't prepared for some of the twists but it was good.
Jujubee
Aug 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: historical
Read this in the re-released paperback edition in 2011. I can't say that it was memorable one way or the other. I have no other books in my library from this author, so that must be sayin' somethin'.
Alisa Banda
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Romance & Mystery. Enjoyed the twists and turns in this book.
Sarah Paulson
Mar 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
Pretty enjoyable read, but nothing special or to write home about.
Kristen
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Surprisingly good. With the murder mystery at its heart, this book was impossible to put down!
Alex L
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical
3.5
Jessica
Jul 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I was lured in by the promise of Gothic shenanigans but gave up due to irritating, cardboard cliché characters. DNF at 100 pages.
Elaine
Sep 13, 2014 rated it liked it
It was very difficult to get into this book. It turned out to be pretty good.
penelopewanders
Nov 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Pretty good read, pretty good suspense. Bit of a delicate balance with the main characters having such contrasting sides to them.
amy
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
and a half
Melissa
May 19, 2013 rated it it was ok
I contemplated giving up on this book halfway through.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 09, 2015 09:02AM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #44 You Only Love Twice by Elizabeth Thornton 1 1 Mar 01, 2015 01:50PM
  • Flame (MacPherson Clan, #5)
  • The Gentleman Thief
  • Dancing on the Wind (Fallen Angels, #2)
  • A Stranger's Kiss (D'Avenant Brothers Series, #2)
  • Raven's Vow
  • Two Weeks With a Stranger
  • The Reluctant Countess
  • Treasured Vows
  • The King's Mistress
  • Winter Garden (Winter Garden #2)
  • Castle of the Wolf
  • An Unmistakable Rogue (Rogues Club, #3)
  • Her Reluctant Groom (The Grooms, #2)
  • The Spare
  • For the Love of a Soldier
  • In the Arms of a Marquess (Rogues of the Sea, #3)
  • A Rose in Winter
  • The Unforgettable Husband
Mary Forrest George, née Baxter was born and educated in Aberdeen, Scotland, where she taught school for a number of years before establishing her own nursery school, St. Swithin Street Nursery School, an institution that is still going strong today.

She and her husband then emigrated to Canada with their three young sons. She taught kindergarten and Grade One for a number of years in Winnipeg, Man
More about Elizabeth Thornton...