Start by marking “The Perfect Marriage” as Want to Read:
The Perfect Marriage

The Perfect Marriage

The New York Times bestselling novel from the author of the Reverend Curtis Black series...

ADDICTION. DECEPTION.
PRETTY PICTURES HIDE UGLY SECRETS.

Denise and Derrek Shaw are the perfect American couple. Happily married for fifteen years, they have a wonderful daughter, Mackenzie, successful careers, and a beautiful home in a posh Chicago suburb. They are attractive, respect
Published January 8th 2013 by Grand Central Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Perfect Marriage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Perfect Marriage

Kim
Feb 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book, while being moral about drugs and not doing it, was NOT accurate in the eyes of the pain of a family touched by drugs. It's obvious the author didn't watch her husband pawn everything, or overdose, all the late night visits to the ER. Finding hidden drugs, or hide money from your spouse. or gone through the period where popping two pills isnt enough, but 10-11 or crushing and snorting or injecting. This book was very G rated as far as lives of drug addicts go. Too much of the la di da ...more
Amiee
Mar 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
I read this one pretty quickly. It's a short quick read and not well written.

I had given up the Rev Curtis series but when I read a synopsis of The Perfect Marriage, I thought I would give the author another try.

It was essentially a waste of my time.
Stephanie
Apr 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There are lots of "so-so" reviews of the book. I just think I'm a Kimberla Lawson Roby fan no matter what she writes so I think it was a good read (pun intended) ;-). The Curtis Black Series is awesome but this was a nice break from the good Reverend Doctuh! The Perfect Marriage taught me a lot about drugs, addiction, drug addiction and how easy it is to get caught up; and gosh, all the secrets! This was a short read that I wanted to go longer. For some reason I wanted Denise to react a little m ...more
Arthur Kittler
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'll try to make this review short like the book. It'll also be underdeveloped like the characters in the book.
One reviewer said it got him inside the lives of REAL drug addicts. These weren't real, it's a book of fiction. A book with potential; but mostly it was a thinly veiled attempt at a lesson in morality. Don't use drugs and pray a lot.
Sabrina
I will always support KLR. However, I just felt like this latest was not as good as I anticipated. The plot had a lot of potential. But the characters were under developed.
Lisa
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have read all of this authors books and this one did not disappoint! The story deals with a couple that seemingly have the perfect marriage, home, jobs, cars, all the things money can but but secretly they are drug addicts but sees it as nothing but a way to relax after working everyday. The abuse of drugs brings about a terrible turn of events and it forces the couple to look at their lives for what it really is. Kimberla really takes you on a ride in this novel and to say it was a great read ...more
Amber Hatfield
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook
T M
Jan 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
This book was awful. Very short and superficial for an attempt to get into the heads and lives of drug addicts. Honestly her books overall get worse with time (just real simple and full of meaningless details), but I'm a loyal fan and continue to read.
Ang
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was ok
As a reader of several of Roby’s past works, I must admit this one was quite disappointing.
The pace of the story line was entirely too fast. As a result the characters were underdeveloped, the story wasn't as heart wrenching as I expected and the book itself was entirely too short. I finished this book from beginning to end within a couple of hours. Perhaps $2.99 is a better price point for this e-book.
Jessica Lynn
Aug 31, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was just terrible. I decided to speed read and try to power through since it was so short. The book was amateurishly and awkwardly written, and the situations described did not feel authentic or accurate. I've read many novels about drug use and abuse, and this one seemed poorly researched and thrown together hastily. I felt that the book presented as though a child had written it. I am legitimately surprised that it was even published.
Monique
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
Quick read but really short...more like a novella. The story moved fast but felt like it was missing something. I expected more.
Carmen Blalock
Dec 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
According to the dictionary the definition of perfect is: being entirely without fault or defect, flawless. Life would be grand if it was like that, and to have a marriage like that is a dream come true, but dreams do sometime come true, right?

Denise and Derrick Shaw have a great life: they have a strong loving marriage of over sixteen years, a twelve-year old daughter Mackenzie that is so close to sainthood that she just makes everyone smile at how great she is, they each have great jobs that a
Mary
Dec 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Kimberla Lawson Roby tells the story of a "perfect" couple. Denise and Derrek seem to have everything going for them. They are college educated, have highly successful careers, a great daughter, and all the material things they could want. Behind all this, the couple is hiding a deep secret, they are doing drugs. It starts out innocently and gradually increases as time goes on. What will it take to get this couple back on the right path or will the forever be addicted.

This was a good book by Rob
Constance
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This was my first time reading a novel by Kimberla Lawson Roby. This was a very quick read, with a plot good enough to keep me interested. Although I appreciate that Roby is a clean writer, the characters vocabulary could have used expansion. ‘Wow’ is used throughout the book a little too frequently. If my husband just told me he blew through our daughter’s college fund, I’d use some words a lot stronger than ‘Wow’.
Minty McBunny
Feb 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, february-2018
Wow, this was extremely bad. It reads like a high school student got really ambitious and inspired to write it after watching a Lifetime movie. Nothing about it, from the clunky dialogue to the completely off base descriptions of drug use, feels genuine. Just cringe inducingly bad, start to ridiculous, improbable finish.
Carol Hornsby-mccoy
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! Tell me money isn't the root of evil. It was sad to see how Denise and Derrick threw money away. But even more so how it took her child to bring them both back to reality. "And a child shall lead them"! Great job!!!
Carrian Troxler
This book was a buddy read with my husband. It was a fast read and I didn't utterly hate it, but the writing wasn't great and the dialogue was not believable and the characters woefully underdeveloped. It was like a G version of drug abuse. I wasn't annoyed enough to quit on the book so that says something? Maybe. I will say that this story had potential if she had built the characters out more and expanded and had someone to help her create better dialogue. Yea, I should really give it 2 stars ...more
Jassy Tamyra West
Jun 14, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
Addiction is terrible! Denial is even worse.
A family that does drugs together stays together ?
Wasn’t a bad read, the characters were very frustrating because of their denials and their actions resulting from the addictions. But, that’s what made it interesting. If everyone was functional addicts it wouldn’t be a real story.🤷🏽♀
Melanee
May 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
THIS book is the reason why I avoid urban lit...and the audible version was excruciatingly painful to listen to! She over enunciates and is robotic in tone. Just overall awful!
Keyandra Ariyo
Mar 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Perfect Marriage ♥♥♥♥
(SEMI SPOILER ALERT)

Marriage is most without doubt an effort that each person has to give their 100%, their all, and not just 50/50; regardless if you have been married five months, five years or fifteen years. No marriage is perfect, but you can 'invent your own picture-perfect live'. So many people pay thousands on the wedding, and zero on the marriage. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with wanting to have a beautiful ceremony, but don't be so into the glamou
M.C. Walker
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to start my literary reading journey in 2013 off on a good note thus first novel of the year is The Perfect Marriage by Kimberla Lawson Roby. The Perfect Marriage introduces us to Derrek and Denise Shaw with a seemingly perfect marriage. Derrek and Denise live in the plush suburbs of Chicago with their preteen daughter Mackenzie. Life is picturesque for the couple from the outside looking in, however a closer look reveals the ugly truth for Derrek and Denise. Derrek is a loving husband ...more
African Americans on the Move Book Club
Certainly no marriage is without issues. If you are married and have never had trouble then that would need to be reevaluated. Mrs. Roby delivers a tale of gut wrenching truth that no one expects to deal with in any lifetime.
Derek and Denise Shaw are a very well to do couple, nice source of income for both, happily married with a teenage daughter named Mackenzie and jobs that allow them to live and have the best of the best. What reason would either one of them have to have a terrible dark secr
Kathy
Mar 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
I stumbled across this audiobook at my library while searching for a recovery book for my recovery books and was pleasantly surprised. I wasn’t familiar with the author or this book, but the synopsis captivated me, and it’s a fast-paced read. Derreck and Denise are both successful in their careers despite Derreck’s upbringing with drug addicted and neglectful parents. Both Derreck and Denise are good parents and have the seemingly perfect marriage with the world as their oyster, but what starts ...more
Allie
Oct 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While this wasn't exactly the most well-written book, I not only thoroughly enjoyed it but also respected it. The author chose to tackle something that is not written about often. And if it is, certainly not to the extent it was in this book.

The narrator had a beautiful voice and did a good job making each character an individual. She was very easy to listen to :)

Derrek and Denise are married and have a thirteen-year-old daughter, Mackenzie. They both have high paying jobs, and don't want for
Cheryl Durham
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Cheryl by: No One
After reading several books from The Reverend Curtis Black Series (Be Careful What You Pray For, Sin No More, The Best Kept Secret, Too Much of a God Thing and Casting the First Stone) and Deep Dark Secret, One in a Million, Changing Faces, It's A Thin Line and Here and Now, I wasn't prepared for this. While I loved the title, which had me curious from the very beginning and the depiction of the plight of the Shaws, their secrets, family unravelings due to drug addiction and the facades that go ...more
Latiffany
Feb 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this book in a few hours. I don't like reading or watching anything that has to do with addiction. I am probably one of the few people that did not love Denzel Washington in Flight.

Simply put: I don't like addiction. Who does? I have never been affected by it and so far neither have any of my close friends or family members. However, I am a reader and supporter of Roby's work and I don't skip any of her titles, regardless of content.

She did a great job at illusrating Derrek and Denise's
Yolanda Moore
Jan 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: african-american
It started a little slow to me. It was very sad to see how drugs affected this family. The book had a very good message about trying to live a perfect life and what seems perfect on the outside might not be so perfect on the inside. I felt really bad for the daughter to be subject to all of this and what she had to do to get their attention.
Amy
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book deals with the direct consequences associated with addiction. It can happen to anyone and shows up in the most unlikely places. It easy to judge people with drug addiction and overlook your own bad habits. Kimberla Lawson Roby encourages the reader to see the effects of this growing problem in our country.
favorisntfairC
Dec 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a great book that really captured my attention and kept me turning the pages to see how they were going to keep their perfect marriage together. Roby does a great job once again painting a picture of everything going on in th moment. its as if you're actually watching each moment play out in front of you. Excellent, quick read, and highly recommended!
Shavonna Futrell
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a great read, It is so hard to believe that people don't think what happens to others that they see on drugs won't happen to them. Everyone has some form of addiction some are just worser than others. I hate what happened in this story was the only thing that made them seek help, I am glad they did not lose that also.

• The Man in 3B
  • What Kind of Fool
  • The Last Woman Standing
  • What a Sista Should Do
  • Fly Betty
New York Times Bestselling Author, Kimberla Lawson Roby, has published thirteen novels which include, BEST FRIENDS FOREVER, THE ULTIMATE BETRAYAL, A CHRISTMAS PRAYER, THE PRODIGAL SON, A HOUSE DIVIDED, THE PERFECT MARRIAGE, THE REVEREND'S WIFE, SECRET OBSESSION, LOVE, HONOR, and BETRAY, BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU PRAY FOR, A DEEP DARK SECRET, THE BEST OF EVERYTHING, ONE IN A MILLION, SIN NO MORE, LOVE &a ...more