Start by marking “Faith, Doubt, and Other Lines I've Crossed: Walking with the Unknown God” as Want to Read:
Faith, Doubt, and Other Lines I've Crossed: Walking with the Unknown God

Faith, Doubt, and Other Lines I've Crossed: Walking with the Unknown God

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  179 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Innovative pastor Jay Bakker thought he knew God: the God who rigorously patrolled every aspect of his life, the God who chose sides, the God who was always disappointed in him. But through the transformative power of grace, he discovered the God who loved and accepted unconditionally, freeing him to ask the hard questions and delve into one of Christianity's greatest tabo ...more
Published February 12th 2013 by Jericho Books (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Faith, Doubt, and Other Lines I've Crossed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Faith, Doubt, and Other Lines I've Crossed

Rob  Davis
Feb 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
When I was a “leader” in the church, I always assumed it was supposed to be about people. I thought crazy things like: a pastor (shepherd) was supposed to actually know the sheep. And, that the shepherd was primarily a sheep, receiving love from the Great Shepherd, before anything else. When it became something other than that, I had a real problem doing it anymore. When my “billable hours” shifted toward working “on” the church (the institution), rather than “in” the church (with actual people) ...more
Scott
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I just left a party to go to my hotel to read the last chapter of Jay Bakker’s book “Faith, Doubt, and Other lines I’ve crossed”. It was that awesome. I was half way into the book on the bus from Belfast to Dublin this morning when I started texting my best friend. The texts went something like:
“I’m ordering you Jay Bakker’s new book. Read it.”
“Hard copy sent… couldn’t figure out how to order it for your kindle since my kindle already owns it… stupid technology”
“Awesome book. Heart of Francis
Joy Matteson
So when I was a kid, my parents had a copy of Jay Bakker's dad's book, "I Was Wrong". I sneakily read it off the shelf, and was rather horrified at the contents--but then again, I was a 12 year old girl who had no idea things like sexual scandal could rock a church or ministry in such a public way. From an adult perspective, I only have the utmost respect and admiration for Jay Bakker, who grew up in the worst kind of spotlight, and I already have an inclination to hear what he has to say based ...more
Nancy
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a 40+ year Episcopalian, and married to an Episcopal priest, I found this book really good in the vein of making one think and in engendering conversation on a long strip of interstate travel. Read this book if you have faith questions--coming from the son of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker you'll likely be surprised at where his mind is these days and how he feels about the church. Plus, he will get you thinking about your own beliefs.
Miriam Downey
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
You can find my entire review here: http://mimi-cyberlibrarian.blogspot.c...

Jay Bakker continues his faith journey with his new book, Faith, Doubt, and Other Lines I've Crossed. I read his book Fall to Grace in 2011 and found it to be refreshingly honest and forthright. I feel the same about this book, although this one reads more like Bakker's sermons than the last book did.

The three themes he dwells on in Faith, Doubt are uncertainty, inclusion, and grace. Grace was the theme of Fall to Grace
Amy Miller
Jun 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am finding this book to be a revelation, a confirmation of things felt in my soul for years. Jay doesn't mince words when addressing issues that have been driving and dividing Christians for years. We grew up in the sane type of environment and are almost identically conflicted, so he speaks directly to me at times. However, his insight into how (outside of the faith) others may have perceived Christianity helps me also.

The overall message is that doubt is ok. I have never heard such a radical
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritual-ish
I've attended Revolution NYC sporadically for four years and have nothing but support and good will for Jay, especially as he has recently transplanted himself to Minneapolis, where he is birthing a similar church community there. While many of the "lines" he addresses are ones I crossed myself long ago, I think this book can be particularly helpful for those currently asking similar questions in regards to faith and doubt. In addition, I applaud and couldn't be more proud of his outspoken, unap ...more
Chloé Meyer
Jun 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such an interesting perspective. I have another book of his but it was much more Christian oriented, whereas this one was from that perspective but much more about broadening the understanding and the scope of Christianity. Especially coming from the background he came from. I loved the humor and the honesty and authenticity he showcased in this book. He was very direct about his support of people, especially in the LGBTQ community, which I think is a really important topic to be direct about wh ...more
Candice
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm a big Jay Bakker fan and listen to his weekly sermons via podcast. Much of the ideas in this book he's already preached from the pulpit, but it's nice to have them in written form, so that I can refer to them again, make notes, etc. The last 2 chapters of the book that discuss death & grief, hope & doubt, faith & belief resonated most with me. "My faith has become the life partner of my doubt, and I love how cute they are together." (We read this book as a home group; it's a grea ...more
Sarah Rice
Apr 30, 2013 rated it liked it
definitely worth a read and definitely better than his last book (Fall to Grace, which was kinda ho-hum). Like McLaren, Butler Bass, and Bell, this book is so hopeful and forward thinking. I'm so glad there are people out there like Bakker (et al) that help counter the destructiveness and false humility (phony openness and/or poorly masked arrogance??) of evangelicalism and macho-christian bullshit.

Brent
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
If you've grown up being taught that Christianity has all the right answers, and those answers look like they belong to evangelical Americans, this book will force you to see that God does not fit that stereotype. If you have been taught apologetics to defend your God, this book will convince you that God does not need defending. If you have never been free to doubt the limitations of the God you were taught, this book will free to find a bigger God then you ever imagined.
Joanne'
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, until a little past halfway when it turned more into a LGBT lesson than a book on Faith and Doubt in general. I did enjoy the book, even highlighted some passages, so it was definitely worth the money and time to read it. i would recommend, with that disclaimer about how the book turns in the middle....
Matt
Mar 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
i really enjoyed the book and its overall message. many things ive thought of myself, many things i hadnt yet. it did feel like the book got quite repetative around the 2/3 mark, but maybe some people need the message to hit them over the head more strongly than i do. overall great read, i reccomend it to anyone whos not afraid to challenge pervading dogma
W. Clayton
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This is an interesting overview of a progressive Christianity that is being reflected on by many from an Evangelical heritage. Jay espouses these ideas in a frank conversational manner. I believe he makes some good points. I have been turned on to once again read some Paul Tillich and to investigate a few new writers like Peter Rollins.
Michele Herrera
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
Having met Jay a couple of times, read his first book and knowing that he knows my son, I was curious about where he is, spiritually, these days.. He's obviously in the "emergent church" realm.. some of what he says is troubling.. scribbling notes in the book as I go.

Jay made some very good points here but ultimately, he's gotten sidetracked. :0[
Melissa Abercrombie
Apr 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jay is open, honest and inspiring in a call to embrace and acknowledge our questions and uncertainties. Much of this book is regarding the need to be accepting of the LGBT community. He speaks boldly on the topic. I loved the candor and "aha" moments about every topic this book covered. It did indeed feel like a walk because of the journal-like format.
RhiaRose
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
I put this book off for a while just because theology books are tough for me to read. This one wasn't. I feel like Jay took a lot of concepts that have been painful for me and turned them upside down. Definitely recommend this book. I'm going to have to buy a copy and read it over several times.
Jessica Brazeal
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith-stuff
Loved this. It seems that the message that Jay is promoting is much, much closer to the true heart of what Jesus was teaching than the message promoted by modern, conservative, evangelical Christianity in this country. Refreshing and a good reminder.
Andrew
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! Jay tackles questions many are afraid to ask—or even acknowledge. Some may call it heresy, but I call it Christlike to challenge generally accepted opinions. And Jay does so in a thoughtful, honest, and biblically grounded way.
El Neo
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
This book helps to reaffirm my faith. I'm not a heathen from doubting. It's ACTUALLY possible that you can grow stronger because of it!
Alice
Nov 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hope
If nothing else, this book will definitely get you thinking. I finished it with over 20 pages flagged for further reflection. That it's ocassionally really funny doesn't hurt either.
Lisa Zacks
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I couldn't stop reading this book! Jay Bakker covers many issues I've questioned for a long time.
Dacia
Mar 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fantastic. Jay is da bomb. I'll be reading this one at least 2 more times.
Kari Hakkers
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book! It reinforced the theme of balance for me. I found his approach to be very inviting and open.
Jenni Frencham
Apr 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
Not for me. The thoughts were way too disconnected.
Kathryn Witzel
Feb 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the journey of Faith and Doubt explored by Bakker in this book. The part about grief especially resonates with me. There are no words.
Matt Piechocinski
Mar 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this ... especially what I've learned about grace, which has been expressly through Bakker's books. Maybe with a little bit of it, I'll be much more tolerant of people and patient.
Mark
Apr 11, 2015
Beth Burns
Aug 10, 2017
Kit Sune
Nov 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Idolatry of God: Breaking Our Addiction to Certainty and Satisfaction
  • When "Spiritual but Not Religious" Is Not Enough: Seeing God in Surprising Places, Even the Church
  • Naked Spirituality A Life With God in Twelve Simple Words
  • Selling Water by the River: A Book about the Life Jesus Promised and the Religion That Gets in the Way
  • Our Great Big American God: A Short History of Our Ever-Growing Deity
  • A Community Called Atonement
  • Jesus Freak: Feeding Healing Raising the Dead
  • Salvation on the Small Screen: 24 Hours of Christian Television
  • Benefit of the Doubt: Breaking the Idol of Certainty
  • The Cost of Community: Jesus, St. Francis and Life in the Kingdom
  • A Better Atonement: Beyond the Depraved Doctrine of Original Sin
  • The Great Emergence: How Christianity is Changing and Why
  • When God Talks Back: Understanding the American Evangelical Relationship with God
  • Sex, Mom, and God: How the Bible’s Strange Take on Sex Led to Crazy Politics--and How I Learned to Love Women (and Jesus) Anyway
  • Christianity After Religion: The End of Church and the Birth of a New Spiritual Awakening
  • The Future of Faith
  • A Glimpse of Jesus: The Stranger to Self-Hatred
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Mind
Jay Bakker is the son of Jim Bakker and the late Tammy Faye Messner, who ran the PTL television ministry until it came crashing down in the late 1980s amid accusations of an accounting-fraud scandal. At its height, it boasted 13 million viewers and a Christian resort. Bakker began his own ministry, called Revolution, in 1994. It now has plants in New York, Charlotte, and Atlanta.
More about Jay Bakker

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Flour: A Baker's Collection of Spectacular Recipes
    $21.99 $3.99
  • The Longest Day: The Classic Epic of D-Day
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living
  • The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change
  • Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
  • Church of the Small Things: The Million Little Pieces That Make Up a Life
  • Capital Gaines: Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Moving Beyond Words: Essays on Age, Rage, Sex, Power, Money, Muscles: Breaking the Boundaries of Gender
  • Woman's Worth
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Edgar Allan Poe: The Fever Called Living
  • The Road to Jonestown: Jim Jones and Peoples Temple
    $12.99 $2.99
“When we really understand it, we will always find grace offensive. And that's exactly the way it should be. If we start to feel comfortable with grace, then we've lost what it really means.” 1 likes