Start by marking “Joy in the Morning” as Want to Read:
Joy in the Morning

Joy in the Morning

In Brooklyn, New York, in 1927, Carl Brown and Annie McGairy meet and fall in love. Though only eighteen, Annie travels alone to the Midwestern university where Carl is studying law to marry him. Little did they know how difficult their first year of marriage would be, in a faraway place with little money and few friends. But Carl and Annie come to realize that the

Published July 1st 2000 by Harper Perennial Modern Classics (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Joy in the Morning, please sign up.
Deb There's little in this book that a young teen would not already be aware of simply by living in the modern world. It's a well-written novel that deals…moreThere's little in this book that a young teen would not already be aware of simply by living in the modern world. It's a well-written novel that deals realistically with the struggles of young newlyweds during that period in history.(less)
Sandy D. Since she lived in Ann Arbor from about 1919 to 1933, it's pretty much based on it (just as "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is based on her childhood in…moreSince she lived in Ann Arbor from about 1919 to 1933, it's pretty much based on it (just as "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" is based on her childhood in the Williamsburg and Greenpoint neighborhoods of Brooklyn).(less)

Start your review of Joy in the Morning
Loretta
Sarah Beth
May 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: age-30, age23, borrow-able
This is one of the loveliest, sweetest books I've ever read. It takes a mental adjustment to appreciate the time period, so don't get thrown off by the relationship in the early pages of the book. The reward of watching the young couple's first year of marriage unfold makes the early awkwardness, and, frankly, shocking first bits worth it and actually understandable. This is not a plot driven book, but really a sweet story of young love at a "middle western" college.
Trish
Aug 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, this is just the sweetest, most realistic story of two young adults who are in love and naively believe that being together forever will solve all their problems. Annie and Carl quickly realize that getting married against their families' wishes will be the least of their worries. Annie is a dreamer, a reader, a warm and personable girl that everyone can't help but love. Carl is smart, passionate, funny and diligent, a hardworking guy who earns respect and kindness from all the superiors in ...more
Amy
Apr 13, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-favorites
My mom passed this along to me a few years ago, and I finally picked it up this week after reading something about it on someone's blog. It's hard not to love Betty Smith after "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," so I was optimistic about this one. It was very similar in style and pace to the aforementioned... unsentimental but leaving you cheering for the characters, hoping for them. I really wanted their lives to get easier, really wanted them to keep loving each other and not give up in spite of ...more
Karen
Jul 21, 2008 rated it liked it
I love Betty Smith. If I could be a writer, I would hope my work would be similar to her style. She grew up in Brooklyn, and is most known for her book "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," which still ranks as my #1 book.

I appreciate the way Betty Smith can make you attach to characters. You feel like you are peeking into their windows and watching it first hand.

This story is based around a young, married couple in the 1920s, trying desperately to stay afloat. It is a struggle without feeling like a
Annie McCarty
Jul 04, 2007 rated it it was amazing
This book is endearing from the very first page. I read it in middle school, after a friend (Leah!) recommended it to me, and immediately fell in love with Annie (it helps that we share the same name!). I had already read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but this wasn't anything like I expected. Annie is completely charming, and will sweep you off your feet with her wholesome and winsome ways. The book follows Annie and Carl's lives as a poor but earnest newlywed couple in the 1920's. Their dialogue is ...more
Spider the Doof Warrior
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Here I am reading this book again. I love this book, but, it's interesting to learn so much about 1928. The money, for one thing gets a bit confusing as you could get so much more with 1 dollar back then than now.
The frustrating thing is how few choices a woman had back then. Annie's main purpose was to get married and have babies even though she was somewhat smarter than her husband who would become a lawyer. Sometimes Carl would get so mad at her when she just wanted to do her own thing and
Susann
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Susann by: Lani
I loved every page of this sweet and honest look at the first year and a half of marriage for young Annie and Carl. It's impossible to not love Annie from the moment she babbles - in her thick Brooklyn accent - to the Town Hall marriage clerk about all the Middle West books she's read. The love between Carl & Annie is true and, yes, uplifting. But Smith never descends into schmaltz or sentimentality.

Because this is such a seemingly simple story, I wavered between giving this 4 or 5 stars.
Amy
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
There was something so very special about this book to me. I wanted to read this one by Betty Smith because I liked "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" so much and I was also looking for a little nostalgia.

Boy did I get nostalgia with this book. I love stories from the early 20th Century. We tend to romanticize that period of American History. I do anyway. There's something about the struggles and the ethics of those times that we refer to as "simpler".

I guess they were simple, yet I don't think people
Brian
Mar 22, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who liked "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn"
After reading and finishing "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," also by Betty Smith, I wanted to read something else that she wrote, so I picked up "Joy in the Morning," which she wrote 20 years later. It held my interest and was a quick read. Like "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn," "Joy in the Morning" is a novel with an auto-biographical theme. It provides a fictionalized account of Betty Smith's first year of marriage to a law student attending a mid-western university (the University of Michigan in Ann ...more
Bailey Marissa
Mar 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A cute story about a young married couple's first year/year and a half of marriage.

Also, it has something that I feel most people writing romance should pay attention to. You ready?

It's a little thing called COMMUNICATION. THEY TALK THEIR PROBLEMS OUT AND IT IS BEAUTIFUL. Seriously, no more miscommunication in relationships. It's not necessary and also very annoying. *Gets off soapbox*

15+ for marital discussions that are blunt (but not graphic) and language
Andrea
Apr 04, 2008 rated it liked it
If I could, this would be 3.5 stars. I felt like I was falling in love again for the first time with my husband. This story was a sweet love story and really had me reminising about courtship and being a newlywed. Anyone who has been poor and struggling as a newlywed, but so in love that it doesn't matter, will love relating to this book. It is an easy read and lighthearted.
Cindy Rollins
Sep 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
This was a 3.5 book for me by the author of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn one of my childhood favorites. Enjoyable. Easy to read. I just think I missed the ideal time of my life to read it.
Judy
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Sometimes even a reader such as myself needs a heartwarming book. The good thing about Betty Smith is that her version of heartwarming is always peppered with enough realism about the way life goes that she, narrowly, avoids sentimentality.

I have read her most famous novel, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, several times. I will probably read it again someday. Joy in the Morning was her last novel. After reading it I learned that she devoted much of her writing life to plays. In fact Annie, the
Kressel Housman
What amazed me the most about Betty Smith in the stage when I was devouring all her books was that she weaved together such different plots in the same setting: amongst Irish immigrants in Great Depression era New York. The heroine of this book is older and much more outgoing than Francie in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but she's also literary, and this is the story of how she comes into her own in exploring her gifts.
Michelle Stockard Miller (True Book Addict)
My mom told me many years ago I needed to read this. Can't believe I waited so long. Wonderful book. Annie was such a great character. A lot of her traits reminded me of myself. The way her mind worked; her sense of optimism, and she was a book lover and writer. This book was just a comfort to read, and though it wasn't a "can't put down" thriller type of book, I still found myself wanting to keep reading each time I picked it up.
wanderer
Where have you been all my life?
Beth Gordon
Apr 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up because I loved A Tree Grows in Brooklyn so much. Written by the same author, this is a sweet story about the first year of marriage of two young people set in the late 1920s. They love each other, want to be together, are a little naive, their families aren't supportive of them marrying so young, but they set out to prove that they can do it. I particularly enjoy it because neither give up their passion (him for completing law school, her for her reading/writing). They ...more
Torrie
Aug 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
This definitely wasn't A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, but I decided that Betty Smith had such a gift for capturing certain times of life so accurately that you feel as if she has written about YOUR life, even if the circumstances of your life and the circumstances of the characters in her book hardly match up at all. This novel about a newly married young couple details the ups and the downs and the steep learning curve of marriage so acutely that it's almost painful to read at times.

Plot-wise,
Susan
Nov 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, 18tbr
After a runaway marriage, a young couple faces hardship during their first year of marriage as one studies to become a lawyer and the other begins a career in writing. Set in 1927, this autobiographical novel is clear-eyed about its all-too-human characters, but ultimately hopeful.
Kiersten
Jul 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Betty Smith, author of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, wrote another wonderful book, and I had no idea until last week. This book is set in the late 1920s. Annie, from Brooklyn, marries Carl and moves to the Midwestern university where Carl is a law student.

I believe that with all of the advancements we have made in the last 100 years, we have certainly lost some of the class and sweetness of my grandparent's generation. Annie and Carl are as poor as can be. They immediately face persecution from
Heidi
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Maggie
Dec 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Betty Smith is my writing queen. Such a fabulous book - Smith tells a simple, believable story. It's great because of how unembellished it is. The book is a story of a young married couple who struggles with finances (is there any other kind?) living in the American Midwest during the late 1920s. Carl is a young man of twenty training to be a lawyer, and Annie is his eighteen year old bride. Like all of Smith's books, the story doesn't have much of a concrete plot - it flows along gently with ...more
Caren
Jan 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-fiction
This was recommended to me by a colleague. A nice little romance, it is the story of the first year in the marriage of a couple in 1927. The two married against the wishes of their families. He is a law student and she is quite young (she is eighteen, just of age to marry, and he is twenty)but she has already been working for four years. It tells of their difficulties (he in working several jobs while juggling classes, and she of her trouble in finding a job in her new setting). Along the way, ...more
Catherine
Mar 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
What a sweet, honest, and completely endearing book this was! It's the story of a young marriage in its first year, and yes, while there are 'problems', they don't take over like they might in books written today. I think these days we've gotten a little too used to conflict as the catalyst of our plot trajectories. Anyway, what shines through in this portrayal of Carl and Annie's life together is the LOVE they have for each other, and that they always find their way back to, no matter how ...more
Pamela
I read this charming romance/drama as a teenager, in the eighties . . . many, many, times, over and over I checked it out from my high school library. (Go Yukon Millers!) Each read through, I fell in love with "love" in a most profound way - well, as profound as one can manage at sixteen. Happily ever after was plausible, but you had to go through a whole heap of struggles.

Sweet memories. Perhaps I'll find a copy and re-read it, to see if my ideas of love and struggle have changed over the past
Kitty
Jun 29, 2009 rated it did not like it
Had high hopes for this after "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn" and was surprised to be so annoyed by the constant cost breakdown of these character's everyday life, even though this element was present in "Brooklyn."

Also couldn't stand the jerky controlling husband, though I'm guessing his behavior and attitude towards his wife would have been normal and expected during the time the book was written.
Ethan
Aug 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While not quite as consistently moving as A Tree Grows In Brooklyn, this was filled with more of Smith's simple and clear language that (and I am paraphrasing Annie Brown from this book) makes the inarticulate articulate.
Smith writes with emotions and her characters feel real.
Following the marriage of Carl and Annie Brown over a couple years in the late twenties, and all the trials and fights and new friends and hardships they face together is really fantastic slice-of-life stuff.
Linda
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After reading a friend's review, I realized this book had not made it onto my list, even though it's an old favorite. I own it, and have read it several times over the years. In my early readings, this book provided a revelation into a time period and setting (college in the 1920s, I believe) I knew nothing about. Great book, with much wisdom.
Jan
Jun 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: novels
Susann was right!!! This is a wonderful book!

This intimate picture of a young marriage allows one to peek into the heart of Annie who left Brooklyn to marry Carl at the Midwestern university where Carl is in law school. Annie has a kind, sensitive, good heart and it fills the pages with her gentle and enthusiastic perspective on people and life. Oh how I wish there was a sequel!

• The Tea House on Mulberry Street
  • Wedding Cake for Breakfast: Essays on the Unforgettable First Year of Marriage
  • In My Father's House
  • Act One
  • Essays and Poems
  • Mr. and Mrs. Bo Jo Jones
  • Marie, Dancing
  • Joy School (Katie Nash, #2)
  • The Death of Ivan Ilyich
  • Modern Love, Revised and Updated (Media Tie-In): True Stories of Love, Loss, and Redemption
  • The Last Van Gogh
  • Serving Up Love: A Harvey House Brides Collection
  • Two-Minute Mysteries
  • More Two-Minute Mysteries
  • When Time Stopped: A Memoir of My Father's War and What Remains
  • Read and Buried (Lighthouse Library Mystery, #6)
  • Mary Queen of Scots and the Murder of Lord Darnley
  • Tilly and the Lost Fairytales (Pages & Co., #2)

Betty Smith (AKA Sophina Elisabeth Wehner): Born- December 15, 1896; Died- January 17, 1972

Born in Brooklyn, New York to German immigrants, she grew up poor in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. These experiences served as the framework to her first novel, A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
“Some people do crossword puzzles. I do books.” 26 likes
“Did you ever see so many pee-wee hats, Carl?"
"They're beanies."
"They call them pee-wees in Brooklyn."
"But I'm not in Brooklyn."
"But you're still a Brooklynite."
"I wouldn't want that to get around, Annie."
"You don't mean that, Carl."
"Ah, we might as well call them beanies, Annie."
"Why?"
"When in Rome do as the Romans do."
"Do they call them beanies in Rome?" she asked artlessly.
"This is the silliest conversation...”
10 likes