Start by marking “Catatan Seorang Demonstran” as Want to Read:
Catatan Seorang Demonstran

Catatan Seorang Demonstran

Buku yang berisi pemikiran - pemikiran (alm.) Soe Hok Gie, mahasiswa Jurusan Sejarah FSUI. Disusun lewat pengumpulan karya - karya tulisan Gie, baik di jurnal hariannya, maupun dari tulisan - tulisannya di koran nasional.
menarik untuk dibaca. terlebih lagi lewat penggambarannya sebagai mahasiswa pada era orde lama, Gie dapat membawa kita menyelami kehidupan rakyat Indonesi
Published June 2005 by Pustaka LP3ES Indonesia (first published May 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Catatan Seorang Demonstran, please sign up.
Vla Sibarani Disini untuk melihat re-view para orang yang sudah membacanya. Bukan baca online. Terima kasih.

Start your review of Catatan Seorang Demonstran
Anouk
My bestfriend Nina gave me this book/diary (or lend me should I say :p). Anyway, I still have the book and I love it. I dont like politics, but I like to learn why people is in it. Not so much related w/ the contents of the book though. It is not about politics, as somehow Soe Hok Gie wasnt a political person (although he was involved a little bit). I see him much more as a freedom fighter. He was young, full of spirit which I admire, and very brave. He was a leader and he brought a lot of encou ...more
Rafsanjani
Oct 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Anjar Priandoyo
Sep 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: indonesia
I read Soe Hok Gie Diary after reading Ahmad Wahib Diary. My comments are the same: what kind of person that wants to publish a dead man diary, its sad, tragic and frustrating. I don't think that people should publish a diary, even that we don't have any scholar that could write long enough to be considered as a book. Reading the commentary section at least both of Hidayat Sutarnadi and Salim Said questioning what is the motive behind publishing this diary, to be reminded again, this is mid-life ...more
Immensse
Nov 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Definitely impressed and inspired with Gie's bravery, sincerity, intelligent, and his idealism on upholding the humanity, morality and justice either in his daily environment or his country.
The only downside from this book is the many parts from the original diaries which were omitted in the very first publication of the book. It is unfortunate that we might have missed to see more political views from Gie and other special events in his life.
Nur
Jul 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
It took me a while to read. I bought it once i join the student council, then finish it in my last year of study. I'm a person who write a journal too. Seems like he recorded his life well. Gie is a type of a 'not me at all' person but i like his ideas abut the politics then. The publisher idea to delete some parts of his journal make me wondering. Are they covering up a crime?
Naura Balahmar
Shelves: umum
A diary
Tasya Dita
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Tasya by: all indonesian students
YAS GUYS I'M FINALLY FINISHED WITH THIS BOOK.

It's not that I dislike this book. I really like the first half, the part where there are a lot of uprising and demonstrations and basically students engineered the whole thing and they managed to overthrow Soekarno's Regime. Students were the one that first to act and engineered the whole thing. Students were very critical and sensitive with all the social problems. I love the way we're all uniting for a better Indonesia.

But then, after 1966-1967, t
Ama B
Feb 27, 2014 rated it liked it
The diary shows how critical Gie was, even as a young boy. The book started with some diary entries from when he was in middle school. He criticized everyone around him, his "ignorant" fellow peers and teachers whom he always debated with. Gie developed interest toward philosophy and writing as he spent his time reading works from writers such as Goethe. He began to criticized at Indonesian politics from his late years of high school and entering University of Indonesia. He questioned how the in ...more
Thoso
Jan 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
If you are a young student and you care for the goodness of the world around you, than this is absolutly the kind of book you should read. Top priority, as it shows the strugle of a young man's vision in the real world. Such strugle that connect to your soul directly as you will feel that you do share the same emotion and idealism.

Frankly speaking, this is one of the book that confirmed my ideas of how things should happen in my country and effect the way I live my life today (I mean, certainly
eggophilia
Only three stars? Don't get me wrong, I really like the book. He was really a great person with a great mind. Love his writings. And Gie (the movie) was not good enough :D

But it's a diary. As in... a diary. I don't think he meant other people to read it when he wrote.

But I don't know if he blogged :D

PS: having/reading this book was used to be very sexy, until the reprinted A-Mild edition with Nicholas Saputra on the cover came out. WTF...
Hasib Habibie
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Haven't fully finished the book yet. But already got this idea : Soe Hok Gie is definitely -if not- one of the most sarcastic-outspoken-insanely brave-egoistic son of a bitch that ever walked in Indonesia (no offense). The book is a journey through his mind : Provoking, sometimes funny, interesting. "Guru model gituan. Yang tak tahan kritik boleh masuk keranjang sampah" is one of my favorite.

His activism story, secular ideology, defending the poor, demonstrating govt. gave us the concrete sight
Hengky
Jul 12, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book when i was in a highschool, so, i didn't remember the detail. He was a rare person that live in Indonesia at the time Soekarno was a president.

A smart journalist who really loves Indonesia, he critic a goverment with his article, thingking for a better Indonesia, till the end of his life.
Adiputra Singgih
The Journal of a young Indonesian Student, Hok Gie, who live on the Indonesian turmoil era back in the 60's. Actually with all the myth surround him, This journal let us see the fragile and naive part of Hok Gie, not only the angry demonstrator part, just like in the movie. If you already see the movie, you can see why I don't like the way they portraying him on that movie...
Aisa
Aug 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: life, memoir
I feel that some Indonesian authors are so talented that their books are really hard to understand. Well, to be fair, Soe Hok Gie was a 'politician'. He tragically died before he was able to inherit a solid work for next generations but his thoughts were the inspiration of a lot of youngsters' voice nowadays. You have to read it several times. It is not a one-time-read book. ;)
Vistamika Wangka
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First non-fiction diary I ever read. I was amazed for his brilliant ideas as well as his principle of life. Strong. very very strong! Indonesian young people should read this book and make it as reference to fight against injustice.
Dewi Wardani
Mar 30, 2014 rated it liked it
all who was involved in Indonesian reformation could understand deeply what had happened inside his mind and his heart... all experiences of someone's life made his as a human.. I can understand when someone see strangely to you only coz u r different and "different"
Quarina
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My all time favorite book. It's about a journal of an Indonesian activist, Soe Hok Gie. This book has opened my eyes on how political interests could lead a country to a massive conspiracy. I read it several times; his spirit of life somehow could helped me through the lowest times.
Erie granita
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biographies
so inspiring for the youths....
Eka Ayuningtyas
Oct 19, 2007 rated it liked it
I first read the book about four years before the movie came out. I hereby let that be known. :p
Zlyoc
Jan 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
revolusioner........
Toni
Jan 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
a revolutionary book! recommended.
Kupao
Jun 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: my self
Recommended to Kupao by: my friend
i know to be my self because i'm not a lier and iwould not to be lier. i'm find my self..
Boje
Dec 31, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sea
first book which i read..
ristyad
It's a great book really. I read about 2/3 of it. But then, like always, I craved for something much easier to read simply to ease my mind. I'll get back to this book, I promise.
Irfan
Jan 05, 2009 marked it as to-read
Baru di pinjemin sama Bu Wied. Let's see if it is better than the movie.
Pro
Jan 12, 2011 added it
6/7/2007

Merged review:

6/7/2007
Fenny Lita
my first book of politics (in my understanding) first grade of high school. taken from my dad's forgotten piles.
Ajeng
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing man. Life didn't have the chance to corrupt him.
Martriana

• Aku Ini Binatang Jalang
  • Pulang
  • Filosofi Teras
  • Jejak Langkah
  • Child of All Nations (Buru Quartet, #2)
  • Beauty Is a Wound
  • House of Glass (Buru Quartet, #4)
  • Soe Hok-Gie...Sekali Lagi: Buku Pesta dan Cinta di Alam Bangsanya
  • Edensor
  • Seperti Dendam, Rindu Harus Dibayar Tuntas
  • Man Tiger
  • Sang Pemimpi
Soe Hok Gie (17 Desember 1942–16 Desember 1969) adalah salah seorang aktivis Indonesia dan mahasiswa Fakultas Sastra Universitas Indonesia Jurusan Sejarah tahun 1962–1969.

Soe Hok Gie menamatkan pendidikan SMA di Kolese Kanisius. Nama Soe Hok Gie adalah dialek Hokkian dari namanya Su Fu-yi dalam bahasa Mandarin.

Ia adalah seorang anak muda yang berpendirian yang teguh dalam memegang prinsipnya dan r