Start by marking “One Thousand Gifts Devotional: Reflections on Finding Everyday Grace” as Want to Read:
One Thousand Gifts Devotional: Reflections on Finding Everyday Grace

One Thousand Gifts Devotional: Reflections on Finding Everyday Grace

4.44  ·  Rating details ·  1,028 Ratings  ·  57 Reviews
Following the New York Times Bestseller, One Thousand Gifts--a guide to giving thanks and finding joy in all aspects of life--Ann Voskamp returns with this companionOne Thousand Gifts Devotional. How in the world do we find real joy and experience grace in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama, and all these daily duties?

These sixty reflections, each one like a singular tree
Published November 20th 2012 by Zondervan

To ask other readers questions about One Thousand Gifts Devotional, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Thousand Gifts Devotional

Dawn
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Life Fully Right Where You Are, about a year and a half ago. This best seller introduces readers to a word, Eucharisteo and a philosophy of living in light of the grace of God, as it says, right where you are. This idea of giving thanks always and living in the awareness of the brevity and fragility of life with joy is the theme of One Thousand Gifts. It inspired me to start counting along with a whole community of others who were counting ...more
Jessica
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's definitely some powerful thoughts in here! I didn't actually do the journalling part, but I can see it would be good. I enjoyed this book; it brought back things from when I read One Thousand Gifts, and inspired me to start counting God's gifts again.
Jamie
Dec 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
“Is thankfulness really but the deep, contented breath of peacefulness?”

I’m always looking for a quality devotional, especially as each year comes to a close. I love knowing I can start over with new wisdom and insight. Having come across Ann Voskamp’s new devotional based off her bestselling book, I can say I’m excited to have this in my library, but share it with others as well!

With each daily devotion starting with a scripture and ending with a prayer and space to write thoughts and prayers (
Poiema
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: devotional-books
I loved One Thousand Gifts, and thought this little devotional a good follow up. Creating a life habit of thankfulness requires diligence, and the short devotions in this book were good refreshers on the subject. Ann Voskamp manages to be contemplative and practical and very, very "real ". I do love her for that!
Amy
Dec 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Ann Voscamp's honesty and transparency make this one of the most encouraging and life changing devotionals I have ever used. I am still working on my list of 1000 but getting close. I plan on making this a life practice. I will be rereading this devotional.
Brandy
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
And back to the beginning I go because the lesson of thanksgiving is always needed and never gets old.
Rebecca Crawshaw
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This devotional was great. It addressed many of the more difficult parts of life and continuously reminded me that we are covered in grace through Jesus Christ. What a gift. Also, they are relatively short and easy to read in the morning. Each includes as short prayer and space to journal.
Amy
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: faith
Ann Voskamp has a very lovely and charming way of describing the everyday gifts of life, and I was reminded daily to give thanks in the big things and the small things, in the joyful things and the hard things. The folksiness of the writing at times didn't seem real (although I think it was), and it was sometimes hard to relate to a life of raising six kids on a farm, but the core message comes through and is important.
Kathleen (Kat) Smith
"It all began quite spontaneously, unintentionally. One of those things God grows up in the most unexpected places.

A friend dared me to start counting one thousand things I loved. I took the dare, accepted the challenge, kept track of one thousand things, one thousand gifts - a thousand graces - on a quiet, unassuming blog. Before I knew it, thankfulness to God began to fully change me.

What I actually found - startling! - was more daily wonder and surprising beauty than I ever expected. And in
Jalynn Patterson
Nov 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
About the Book:

Following the success of One Thousand Gifts, her guide to giving thanks and finding joy in all aspects of life, Ann Voskamp returns with this One Thousand Gifts Devotional. Follow in her footsteps, and find 'joy in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama and daily duties.' The sixty devotions in the One Thousand Gifts Devotional explore the simple graces and the hard graces we all experience every day of our lives. Each devotion provides a daily Scripture and prayer and invites you to
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 added it
Shelves: book-collector
Synopsis from barnesandnoble.com: Just like you, Ann Voskamp hungers to live her one life well. Forget the bucket lists that have us escaping our everyday lives for exotic experiences. In One Thousand Gifts, Ann invites you to embrace everyday blessings and embark on the transformative spiritual discipline of chronicling God's gifts. It's only in this expressing of gratitude for the life we already have, we discover the life we've always wanted ... a life we can take, give thanks for, and break ...more
Kelly
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Following the success of One Thousand Gifts, her guide to giving thanks and finding joy in all aspects of life, Ann Voskamp returns with this One Thousand Gifts Devotional. Follow in her footsteps, and find ‘joy in the midst of deadlines, debt, drama and daily duties.’ The sixty devotions in the One Thousand Gifts Devotional explore the simple graces and the hard graces we all experience every day of our lives. Each devotion provides a daily Scripture and prayer and invites you to go deeper into ...more
Sally
Oct 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How can we find real joy when we are struggling with debt, daily obligations and stress? Ann Voskamp has compiled 60 reflections of grace that will help you to keep your life focused on Christ.

A beautiful hard-cover book with lined pages for your reflections and an attached ribbon page marker are just a few of the things that make the physical part of this book appealing. All of the devotions begin with scripture from several versions of the Bible, such as KJV, ESV, NEB, MSG and NASB just to na
alisonwonderland
Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are changed my life. This companion book contains 60 devotionals on the same themes, and I loved re-visiting the important truths that Ann preaches.

I read this book slowly, mostly reading one or two of the devotionals each week over the past ten months (though I read parts of the book beginning a year and a half ago when I was preparing a talk on grace and gratitude).

One of my favorites of the 60 devotionals is "Seed Grace.
Sue
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christian, read-2016
This book of sixty short 'devotional' readings about thankfulness is interesting, with some insights into the author’s life. She notes ways of dealing with her children, finding God in nature, and different ways of experiencing grace in her life. Much of it is inspiring, and I’m glad I read it - just one or two sections per day.

Unfortunately the style of writing is, in places, bizarre. Sometimes the short sentences and detailed description are almost poetic, but at others, the word choices jarr
Adriane Devries
You already have everything you need. This is Ann Voskamp’s message in One Thousand Gifts, her journal of her own journey to joy in the midst of the seriously mundane. As a farmer’s wife and homeschooling mother of six tumbling, bumbling wee ones, she—like all of us—can struggle with feeling lost in a sea of dishes, laundry, sibling squabbles and dust. A nagging sense that there might be more out there somewhere beyond the life we lead, whatever ours may be, robs us of joy in the very midst of t ...more
Nov 20, 2014 rated it liked it
ONE THOUSAND GIFTS DEVOTIONAL starts with a Bible verse for you to read, goes into a two or three page story / devotional, and ends with a prayer and a few lines for you to write your thoughts.

I didn’t read the book that preceded this one, but I found the style of writing very hard to follow and get into. I had to read the same passages multiple times to get anything out of them. The idea of it is good – great even – but if you live in a busy home and don’t have quiet place to go to be alone an
Ian
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was tremendously moved by the book when I read it 12 months ago. I wanted something more and this is it.

60 two-three page "Grace" stories that capture the essence of the book but provide a basis for reflection and prayer. In addition, the journal for recording 1,000 gifts was super handy and each day I so enjoyed reflecting on God's goodness.

Ann has such a wonderful heart for the Lord, sharing her journey in such a manner that I always felt I was walking alongside her, helping do the laundry,
Wanda
Jan 29, 2016 rated it liked it
“Humbly let go. Let go of trying to do, let go of trying to control, let go of my own way, let go of my own fears. Let God blow His wind, His trials, oxygen for joy's fire. Leave the hand open and be. Be at peace. Bend the knee and be small and let God give what God chooses to give because He only gives love and whisper a surprised thanks. This is the fuel for joy's flame. Fullness of joy is discovered only in the emptying of will. And I can empty. I can empty because counting His graces has awa ...more
Debbie
Aug 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books that knocks you sideways and makes you stop breathing, it's so deep and rich and heartrendingly wonderful! I had to read it in little bits at a time, because almost every sentence, every paragraph, made me stop and say, "WOW!" Made me face things in my own heart that weren't right, weren't good. Made me pause and take inventory of my way of doing things, doing life. Made my soul crave changes and a better way! Ann is on to something beautiful. Eucharisteo! Giving thank ...more
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is THE BEST devotional I've ever done to date. I'm on my second read through. I've always tried to be a positive person and see the best in things, but not really thought about being thankful in everything. That is much harder. This book is a challenge to always give thanks. Not for the bad, but in spite of the bad. Voskamp lays down the challenge that there is ALWAYS something to give thanks for, if we have trained our eyes to look and see.

I HIGHLY recommend this devotional to any and all
Rachel
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015
Most likely, I will start this devotional again at the beginning of the year and linger over some of the lines I underlined, starred, or highlighted.
Though I have never met Ann, I feel as though we are kindred spirits- definitely spiritual sisters.
If you have never read "One Thousand Gifts" or visited her blog at www.aholyexperience.com, I encourage you to stop by for a visit.
This book has been a tremendous encouragement to me in a hard season- reminding me where to keep my focus- not on my c
Rebecca Tellez
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
In this book, one is challenged to look at life differently, from a point of thanksgiving, for each and every thing that comes into our lives. I have to say that from the very first day, my life started changing. It challenged me to look for the gifts from my heavenly Father every day and as I started to intentionally look for those gifts, I found them to be present in the smallest things of my day.

I am starting over with this book, just because of its impact on me last year. I want to see what
Feb 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I love Ann's voice. She writes with a conversational structure and tone that makes me feel like she's standing in my kitchen while dropping off or picking up kids. She's honest, transparent and inspired! I just love the way she makes me take a fresh look at all of the blessings in my day and reminds me to give thanks to God continually for His ever-present grace. She's a radiant reflection on God's love in the world, and I have to give thanks for her Light. Eucharisteo!
Lisa Suit
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Ann Voskamp's writing feeds my soul

1,000 Gifts is the book that has changed me and affected me more deeply than any book other than the Bible, so when I saw this devotional I jumped at the chance to read it. Ann Voskamp's writing feeds my soul, but reading a large chunk of it at a time can feel almost heavy to me, because she gives so very much to ponder, so a few pages a day in a devotional is the perfect size for me! I highly recommend this to any and everyone!
Melanie
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ann does a wonderful job at putting Grace into perspective. I was challenged to have gratitude during all circumstances. When we have gratitude then we will be happy, we can't be happy with out gratitude. God's blessing are all around us we have to make a conscious effort to look for them and say Thank you! After reading this book you will never be the same. This Devotional was a shadow of her book and touched on the most meaningful parts so we could apply it to our lives.
Kimberly
Apr 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ann Voskamp can be wordy and say in 20 sentences what could be said in 2. But in spite of this when the dedicated reader applies themself her insights are inspiring, thought provoking and starts a deep desire to have a closer walk with God. I read one devotion a day and took my time with this book. I loved each minute I spent with it. Highly reccomend.
Sharon
Feb 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Will use this devotional over and over! Love Ann Voskamp!
10/11/2016...have been thru this book 3 times now and discover something new each time!
1/17/17...this book leads right into the next...take my brokenness, see it as grace, be thankful for it, experience joy and use that joy to reach out to others!
Cindy B
Jul 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
1000 Gifts

Such a reminder to look at each moment as the gift it is as well as to follow with thankfulness for what you see each moment. The more we see then the more we thank and then the more Jesus is glorified! "Jesus said, Blessed are the eyes that see what you see." Luke 10:23
Amanda O'Coin
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am currently working on this devotional and I absolutely fell in love with it from the very first one. Ann Voskamp is truly one of my favorite authors. Her story is incredible and her writing challenges the reader to go deeper and the result of that is something I can't find words for. This book sits on my nightstand and it will not be moved.
GodReads: One Thousand Graces 7 133 Nov 06, 2013 05:34PM
  • Everything: What You Give and What You Gain to Become Like Jesus
  • Mended: Pieces of a Life Made Whole
  • The Ultimate Conversation
  • Graceful (for Young Women): Letting Go of Your Try-Hard Life
  • My Father's Business: 30 Inspirational Stories for Discerning and Doing Gods Will
  • Once Upon a Time: Discovering Our Forever After Story
  • Saying It Well: Touching Others with Your Words
  • Beyond Heaven's Door
  • God is Able
  • You Can Begin Again: No Matter What, It's Never Too Late
  • Sky Lantern: The Story of a Father’s Love for His Children and the Healing Power of the Smallest Act of Kindness
  • As It Was in the Days of Noah: Warnings from Bible Prophecy About the Coming Global Storm
  • 52 Little Lessons from It's a Wonderful Life
  • The Sacred Year: Mapping the Soulscape of Spiritual Practice -- How Contemplating Apples, Living in a Cave, and Befriending a Dying Woman Revived My Life
  • Seal of God
  • When God Makes Lemonade: True Stories that Amaze & Encourage
  • Bounce Back: When Your Heart is Empty and Your Dreams are Lost
  • Your Beautiful Purpose: Discovering and Enjoying What God Can Do Through You
Ann Voskamp's a farmer's wife, mama to 6 kids, & author of One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are (Zondervan). Everyday, she takes the wild dare. Right in the midst of her own and gritty grace-filled life. When the kids and the washing machine sleep, she washes her real dirt down with words and The Word. Some of her words find themselves in an award-winning series for cur ...more
More about Ann Voskamp...

“Counting one thousand gifts means counting the hard things — otherwise I’ve miscounted.” 4 likes
“There is this: We give thanks to God not because of how we feel but because of who He is.” 2 likes