Start by marking “What Crucified Jesus?: Messianism, Pharisaism, and the Development of Christianity” as Want to Read:

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  7 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
This landmark book by noted scholar Dr. Ellis Rivkin examines the legacy of the Gospels, which traditionally assigned the responsibility for the arrest, trial, and crucifixion of Jesus to the Jewish people. Included are further essays that shed light on the interaction of Jews and Christians in the years of the early church.
Published December 3rd 2005 by Urj Press (first published June 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about What Crucified Jesus?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Crucified Jesus?

Phil Whittall
May 24, 2016 rated it liked it
I picked up this book by Jewish scholar Ellis Rivkin (who died earlier this year) for just 75 pence. I bought it for two reasons, primarily the preface by EP Sanders who said he thought, 'the overall argument, is in my judgement, completely convincing.' and second to that, the bargain price. I can't resist highly recommended books on the historical Jesus for less than a quid.

It's not a long book (79 pages) and asks an interesting question, 'what crucified Jesus?' as opposed to the more natural,
Justin Veyna
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Author brings 1st century Judaism to life. Great for getting an understanding of who the Pharisees and other Jewish sects were. Our Lord told us to "beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and Sadducees". This book brings to the surface just what that leaven was. Without going into detail, I believe the careful Christian reader will see in the Pharisees much similarities to current Christianity (and it is more than just adding traditions that undercut Gods Word).

The Author is a Jew and