Start by marking “Bruno Munari's Zoo” as Want to Read:
Bruno Munari's Zoo

Bruno Munari's Zoo

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  174 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
Bruno Munari was an internationally acclaimed artist, designer, and children's book creator. Acontemporary of Leo Leonni, his books have been hailed as "among the most original, inventive and beautiful ever created." Zoo is among his most graphically stunning works. Meet the kangaroo, who is all legs but doesn't know it, the zebra in his striped pajamas, and the humpy came ...more
Published February 17th 2005 by Chronicle Books (first published 1963)

To ask other readers questions about Bruno Munari's Zoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bruno Munari's Zoo

Erin
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A poetic, often humorous look at a zoo. Definitely will provoke kids to ask questions and learn some about the different animals that live in the zoo.
Sylvester
Jul 01, 2013 rated it liked it
3* art
2* text
Very odd text - possibly exactly what gives the book its charm. Nice, big illustrations.
Bookiddo
May 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: upcoming-reviews
Zoo is a book of observations and illustrations. Somewhere between poetry and prose, the quick words read like a zoo go-er’s jotted notes as he/she passes through some of the more popular exhibits.

As one might reasonably expect from a graphic designer turned children’s illustrator, the pictures in this book are lovely and unique. Bright colors, bold outlines, and a simple eye to detail (can you find all the butterflies?) make them both visually interesting and inviting. Words will alsways be th
Alyssa Durant
I read Bruno Munari's Zoo. This book has very short sentences and the pictures are very simple, but colorful. Some of the pages have real simple facts on them like "The tiger is a big cat with stripes" and others are kind of silly like " The parrot was born on a day with a rainbow"

I'm not sure if I would read this book out loud to my students, mostly because if I were to read them a book about the Zoo it would probably be right before a field trip and I would want to give them some fun and serio
Mikayla Baker
Feb 21, 2016 rated it liked it
This book began with a sign about the zoo. It then goes on to tell about the different animals of the zoo. Also it will tell you different things about that animal.

I thought this book was okay. I really liked the illustrations of the animals. They were bright and fun.

This book would be good to read if you took your class to a zoo or if you were talking about animals. They have pictures of all the animals it talks about. This would be good for younger kids.
N
Apr 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Munari's picture books are know for great design, but the playful text is just as striking to me. The notice put up at the zoo entrance suggests, "Applaud the seals." and warns, "The lion will be offended if you pull his tail."

The pages that follow introduce animals with wonderful quips such as, "A zebra is an animal in striped pajamas." or "The fox hides when he sees the furrier."

Nina
Apr 28, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-book, animals, zoo
This random account of different animals in the and his descriptive observations of various aspects of their lives and character. The illustrations are the best part of this bold book that sheds light on animals big and small.
Jennifer Parker
Jun 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
didn't like the way the book was written. It doesn't do much to describe the animals and when it does describe an animal it is basics. Possibly if you are just introducing your child to an animal this would have been a good book to use.
Shyam Rahim
Mar 26, 2008 rated it liked it
Great illustrations. Book a bit over the head of our preschooler.
Carrie Gelson
Sep 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
The illustrations push it to a 4.
Dee
Jun 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very cool and very colorful. I want to go to the zoo.
D Nine
11/10/10 preschool
Donna
Oct 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Simple but beautiful illustrations and clever phrases make this a fun book to read over and over again.
Meg
Mar 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I don't feel like the sensibility of the text holds up as well, but I have to give it four stars because I think the pictures are amazing. Very fun, mid-century style.
Lisa Mcbroom
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved Munari's abstract prose and drawings as a child. This time he conquers the zoo. Pictures are bright and child appealing!!!!!
Alison
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Like lots of others have already said - lush illustrations, slightly odd text.
Michelle
May 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-book
Fluctuated between mundane and poetic, but there are great illustrations.
aubrey
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
i liked it because of the illustrations but the text didn't do much for me.
Jody
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Wasn't sure I'd be able to get through this book with 2 yr olds, but they liked the illustrations and at the end, we just walked through a zoo! Good for discussion about the details of illustrations.
Jenny
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
My girls and I enjoyed this book. It is really the illustrations that make this book... the text is okay but not spectacular...
Jen
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pb, storytime
The words are my favorite part of this story. The artist accentuates many of the animals eccentricities through the illustrations.
Jill
May 24, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s
Nice illustrations, but odd text made it up enjoyable for my son and I.
Elizabeth
Jul 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
A gentle, quiet book from a different era; I'm glad it was put back in print.
Christina
Beautiful illustrations! i want to frame some of these. except its a library book. my 5 year old liked it and my 2 year old did NOT = 3 stars
Melissa Elgersma
Jul 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite zoo books. Adults and kids alike will really appreciate the beautiful illustrations- Munari is a master.
Heather
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Yellow Umbrella
  • A Zeal of Zebras: An Alphabet of Collective Nouns
  • No Fits, Nilson!
  • When Will It Be Spring?
  • Henri's Walk to Paris
  • Look! A Book!
  • Symphony City
  • Yoo-Hoo, Ladybug!
  • Tiny Little Fly
Bruno Munari was an Italian artist and designer, who contributed fundamentals in many fields of visual arts (paint, sculpture, film, industrial design, graphics) and non visual arts (literature, poetry, didactic) with the research on the game subject, infancy and creativity.
More about Bruno Munari