Start by marking “The Book of Mirdad: The strange story of a monastery which was once called The Ark” as Want to Read:

Mikhail Naimy's timeless classic, an allegory often compared to the works of his friend Khalil Gibran, presents the teachings of Mirdad, Abbott of a monastery that stands where Noah's Ark came to rest after the Flood. In a series of dialogues with his disciples, Mirdad offers lessons on themes such as love, obedience, borrowing and lending, repentance, old age, and the cyc ...more
Published September 1st 2002 by Watkins Publishing (first published 1946)

Suzie Palmer
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As if each line was lovingly written across the sky to the sound of music, The Book of Mirdad is a harmonic treasure chest to one's heart and mind. The spiritual teachings and life lessons so artfully embedded within its page are a blessing upon anyone that reads.
So intricate yet simple in its beauty, The Book of Mirdad nourishes the soul and feeds the mind with so much love and light one's heart does surely sing..
Another joy and highly-recommended read and contemplation!
Parin
May 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
No Explanation need to describe this book. Its a Masterpiece. Must read.
As Quoted by Osho - "Millions of people have tried to write books so that they can express the inexpressible, but they have utterly failed. I know only one book, THE BOOK OF MIRDAD, which has not failed; and if you cannot get to the very essence of it, it will be your failure, not his. He has created a perfect device of words, parables, situations"
Read if if you have loved the world of Paulo Coelho, Siddhartha by Herman Hes
Julia
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you choose to read only one book in your whole life, let it be this one.
Darius Murretti
Aug 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
If we continually climb 100ft up a mountain then slip back down will we ever reach the summit ?

If we are to reach the summit we must stop slipping down .
Mirdad would make his words into mighty rungs for out faltering understanding .These must be carefully studied , understood AND TRANSLATED INTO ACTION if we are to attain our goal. To facilitate the sucessful practice of these teaching which will culminate in the soul shedding the mind and entering the pure spiritual planes from which the trave
Khandria
Aug 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Last night I was reading "The Book of Mirdad". It was so beautiful and so strong that I couldn't stop reading for hours. Then suddenly I felt that my breath had changed, and I found myself on the edge of crying, and I didn't know whether it was sadness, desperation, bliss, or all three at the same time.
I tried to find out by reading the words again, but I realised that my mind didn't really understand them when I looked at them. How is it possible that words which the mind doesn't understand can
Shantanoo Desai
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Every page is an Expression, a Realization to living a better life also attaining Salvation not by abstinence or austerity but by improving everyday deeds. The book is a masterpiece of Paradoxical writing style so i suggest "you better read between the lines" and read it more than once to understand the depth of the book.
Sloom Al-shami
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
its a fascinating book to read, what a vivid imagination that man had!!! can't wait to finish it
hats off and a bow to u mekhail naimy...
Bella
May 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I would have given 10 stars for this book.
Mohit Misra
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book I feel at times is in its own league.His distinct style separates him from the rest.Superb book.
Surjit
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is amazing.It is replete with profound knowledge & esoteric wisdom .This is the timeless allegorical story which has touched the hearts of so many readers.It shows new generations how it is possible to expand one's consciousness, to uncover God in man by dissolving man's sense of duality.The following quote from the book corroborate the universal truth:

" Less possessing-less possessed.
More possessing-more possessed.
More possessed-less assessed.
Less possessed-more assessed."

Thi
Charvee
May 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
A real masterpiece. One of the best spiritually inclined books I've come across. Nevertheless, it's not an easy read. There were many times, when I just closed the book and went back a few pages and marked priceless lines with a pencil and then sat there to absorb it all. Perhaps, I will continue to do so even after finishing the book. A real gem for the bookshelf.
Devesh Kumar
Jul 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I would not have words to explain it.I read it many times and i learn more and more from it.
Rakesh Patel
Oct 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Die to live or live to die...
Izzy
Jan 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
For a comlpete review check out this http://booklovers-bookclub.blogspot.c...

I thought this book was going to be the best i have ever read in my whole life until Mirdad started talking
OMG, what a way to ruin everything
Such a useless book!
A pretentious writing, a patriarchal dogmatic ensemble of arranged words and ideas
How can people praise such a book! I don't get it. For me it's like encouraging even more people to think they are worthy of giving lessons and what to do and not to do lists for
Yogi Travelling
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a wonderful read!
This book seems like a 'hidden gem' based on the minimal amount of reviews considering it was written so long ago!

This book takes place upon a peak where Noah's Ark had to come to rest after the flood...
The book of Mirdad provides timeless wisdom by an unexpected member of the nine guardians of the Arc.. It provides so much wisdom, yet is concise enough to be considered a quick read...

This book will definitely require a re-read as it carries so much depth and insight, on ho
U Bhatt
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best book I have ever read. It is God free book but not atheist. Mikhail Naimy compels you to think about YOU as cosmological importance. It literary makes human intellect rein on one word 'I' which normally have cosmogyral approach. Must read !
Sikha
Mar 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: spiritualism
I like this book, but to really understand the real meaning of this I will need more time I guess.
RbbieFrah
Aug 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Each of us has a shadow ( our eg0) when we are all in the light our shadow disappears and we are one with the light of the universe.

Mikal Niamy WAS a God-man he WAS a real life Mirdad . So this while the character ,Mirdad, is fictional Mirdad’s words are the same words that God always says to humans when HE takes human form . BUT all the MOST IMPORTANT teachings cannot be conveyed in mere words . Only when two humans are alive at the same time and they meet and one is a soul yearning for God an
Kunal Jain
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
I don’t believe in God but if there was one, I’m pretty sure this would be his favourite book. I really don’t want to sound condescending but I can’t help it so I don’t care and I am going to say the same thing what others have said about it.

IF YOU EVER CHOOSE TO READ ONE BOOK IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE, LET IT BE THIS ONE.
Nawid Adelyar
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some really great wisdom from the author and amazing quotes in this book, which I shall treasure.
Doruk Kurt
Dec 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual
Such a poetic expression of the truth..
Mary Angella
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I found it to give me a haunting, mystical feeling as I read this. This is my all time favorite book and is the only spiritual book that I own today. I do not read it over and over again however. I have my own inner mystical experiences that I wrote about and do not want any other writings to influence my writings. This book, my Spiritual Master kept by His bedside before He passed away. I have just written my autobiography called 'The Adventures of a Chinese Korean Orphan' to be released Decemb ...more
Elias Abo Sine
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best books that i had read to Michael Naimy, this is my first time and maybe the last to attach so much hard to a book , the deadline came to give it back to the library with tears in my eyes, I cannot deny I loved this book so much it took me half year to finish it before I joined GoodReads community , 6 eventful months this book was my space of silent and relaxing from all the outside life's noise.

Mirdad in my heart now not in this book anymore , so sophisticated book it needs a lot
Deepak Imandi
Apr 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The name is a bit weird, I agree, it is! But, oh my my, what a spectacular book in fact, a bit of spice for your witty buds:
"Often you shall think your road impassable,somber and companion-less. Have will and plod along, and round each curve you shall find a new companion"
Best explanation of the duality that exists in the universe I have found till date.
Easily the book, I most underlined in my life. Read it on my Kindle, grabbing a hard copy ASAP. Must read for seekers and spiritually bent souls
Dinesh
May 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Still learning. This book keeps getting re-read in my mind. Even if one line from this book becomes a part of me, I will be blessed!
Thomas Henrichsen
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A truely mystic book I still only understand in glimpses - never the same passages , always defying retention - but what life generating glimpses. For every read I hunger for a deeper understanding.
Mehul
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Giving 4 stars just bcz of difficult language otherwise book is just thrown reality of human in words.
Drew
Jul 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Highly recommended by Osho; I think because of a certain, deliberate stylistic similarity between the two - I found it somewhat obstruse.
Sambath
Jun 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: owned
one word "OVERRATED".
Salam Ch
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
couldn't find any words to describe the book of mirdad better than Osho 's !!!!

" There are millions of books in the world, but The Book of Mirdad stands out far above any other book in existence.
It is unfortunate that very few people are acquainted with The Book of Mirdad for the simple reason that it is not a religious scripture. It is a parable, a fiction, but containing oceanic truth.
It is a small book, but the man who gave birth to this book... and mind my words, I am not saying "the man who
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Magic and Mystery in Tibet
  • God Speaks
  • Il re del mondo
  • Wine of the Mystic: The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam: A Spiritual Interpretation
  • Trilogia del ritorno: L'amico ritrovato; Un'anima non vile; Niente resurrezioni, per favore
  • Our Life with Mr. Gurdjieff
Mikha'il Na'ima (also spelled Mikhail Naimy; Arabic: ميخائيل نعيمة) (b.1889 in Mount Sannine in modern day Lebanon, d. 1988) was a Lebanese author and poet of the New York Pen League.

He wrote 99 books, including drama, essays, poetry, criticism, short stories and biography.

Among his best known books is the Book of Mirdad, a mystical text first published in Lebanon in 1948, which was translated int
“Ask not of things to shed their veils. Unveil yourselves, and things will be unveiled.” 92 likes
“Often you shall think your road impassable, sombre and companionless. Have will and plod along; and round each curve you shall find a new companion.” 59 likes