Start by marking “Franklin's New Friend (Franklin the turtle, #16)” as Want to Read:
Franklin's New Friend (Franklin the turtle, #16)

Franklin's New Friend

(Franklin the Turtle)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  321 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Franklin the turtle thinks the new kid in school is big and scary. But young Moose likes to do everything Franklin does, and he soon becomes a special new friend.
Published September 1st 1997 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Franklin's New Friend, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Franklin's New Friend

Clayton Happy
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el-230
I have read many of the books out of this series and I wanted to read this one simply to see how Franklin meets and interacts with his new friend. This book is basically like the others in the series, however I did enjoy it and feel as though I was engaged while reading it. This is a great book for students who can not yet read chapter books but are beginning to transition.
Jaclyn
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sophie-s-books
Great book for teaching kids to make new friends.
Rick
Mar 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
I am so glad I found this series. The color illustrations are beautiful and the books teach good messages to children.
Madeline Clements
Oct 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edtp-245
Franklin books are also a classic from my childhood. This story teaches not to judge a book by its cover.
Sophie Golding
Sep 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Franklin the tortoise has always lived in the same place and has had lots and lots of friends. One day a moving van comes to town bringing Moose and his family who Franklin is very scared of and doesn’t want to make friends with. Moose is however Franklin’s new classmate and all of the children seem to be scared of him because he is so big! After break Mr Owl has a word with Franklin and asks him to work with Moose, when he refuses Mr Owl asks him to think about what it would be like to be the n ...more
Rosa Cline
Nov 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids
This was a good book to help children understand how it feels to be 'the new kid' at school or on the block. The only reason I didn't place this as 4 star (because the storyline was worth it) Franklin the turtle is a bit on the 'whiney' side for my taste and that is a negative in my book so one star was taken off for that.

Franklin sees movers moving new furniture into the house in the neighborhood. He becomes scared because the furniture is for GIANTS! He then realizes that a family of moose ar
Alexsandra Diaz
Oct 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love reading Franklin books, it reminds me of my childhood. This story talks about friendship and how Franklin meets a new friend. It is important for children to know how to establish a relationship with a friend. The pictures are very clear in this book and do a great job keeping the children engaged in the reading. This book is an example of a fable where animals come to life to tell a story usually having a moral. The moral of this story is friendship. This fable is a good one because not ...more
Natalie
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This story is about Franklin the turtle who has grown up with the same friends his whole life. One day, a new family moves to town, who happen to be moose, and he is frightened by their huge size. Franklin is scared to become friends with Moose, but ends up being paired up with Moose at school. Franklin learns that Moose may be scared too, as he is new to town and has no friends. Franklin and Moose end up having a lot in common and become good friends. I Loved this story! It was a cute way to sh ...more
Kristen
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
This is a good read for kids to teach them not to judge a book by it's cover. Franklin has a new family move in next door and he is afraid of him because he's big. The story is about Franklin learning that just because everyone looks different, we all have the same feelings and emotions and you might just find a new friend in someone you never expected.

My daughter actually liked this story. The colors in the illustrations were bright and it wasn't too wordy but enough for us to spend more than 2
Selene Vasquez
Dec 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Franklin becomes scared because there is a "giant" moose family moving in into his neighborhood. He is scared because they are so much bigger than him and his friends. The following day he notices that the moose is in his classroom and his teacher assigns Franklin to be his buddy for the day. Of course Franklin does not want to be friends with the moose because he is scared but after spending the day with him he realizes the moose is not scary at all!

I think the message being sent in this book
Margo Martin
I would use the book Franklin’s New Friend in the classroom right before getting a new student. This book tells a story about a moose family that moves on Franklin’s street. The next day when Franklin goes to school, the intimidating large moose is in his class, and Mr. Owl the teacher assigns him to be moose’s buddy. At first, Franklin does not like being Moose’s buddy but by the end of the day, Franklin and Moose become good friends. Later that day, Franklin went to Moose’s house and Moose con ...more
Amy Schmitz
Nov 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Franklin's New Friend tells the story of Moose, the new animal in town. When Franklin first sees Moose he becomes scared because he is so big. Franklin avoids Moose in school even though he is assigned to be his buddy. Once Franklin is able to see past Moose's size, he realizes they have a lot in common and that Moose would make a great friend. This story shows the importance of giving everyone a chance at being a friend. If you are too quick to judge you might miss out on making a great new fri ...more
Jenn Swanson
A moose just moved to town and Franklin the turtle is assigned to show him the ropes. Franklin however is scared of the moose because he is big and different. I enjoyed this story. It had a good message behind it and the illustrations were beautiful. My daughter unfortunately did not hold this book in the same regard as I did. She said the Franklin book was too serious and she enjoys books with humor in them. I still would recommend this book regardless of what my child says.
Jenna Arntz
Oct 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Franklin Is not used to new people. He has always had the same friends, but when a moose moves into his street he is afraid of him. After a while he realizes that him and moose have a lot in common and they become really good friends. I think this would be a great read aloud. It would be a useful aide in teaching students to not judge people before they know them.
Michelle Carter
Apr 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love the Franklin books and so did my own children. This one would be great to read to a class that knew they were getting a new student. Great to let children know that people may be different from us but we probably still have many things in common. We need to get to know people before we start forming opinions of them.
Chenoa Brown
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, experiences
Franklin makes a new friend with the Moose family that moved in the neighborhood. At first, Franklin is afraid of the Moose because he is tall. Great read for students in Pre-K to 1st grade. This book is also good for students who are afraid to be friends with others that might intimidating because of their size. Good community builder.
The Brothers
In this episode of Franklin, a new family of moose moves into town. At first Franklin is intimidated by the sheer size of the moose, but they soon become friends.

Typical Franklin illustrations.
Morgan
The Franklin Series is a great one for young readers around the 2nd and 3rd grade levels. Franklin is a school aged turtle who comes across very relate-able issues such as children around this age. These are good to have in the classroom.
Jill
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Great story about stepping out of your comfort zone and meeting others.
Vanessa
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-to-request
How Moose was afraid and overcame all of that with the help of Franklin.
Theresa
Jul 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review
great story for interest reading closely follows tv show
Chrystal
Apr 19, 2010 marked it as read-to-children
Shelves: childrens
Making new friends can be strange at first. But later we can't remember why we were so afraid. We like Franklin books :)
Amy
Jan 30, 2016 added it
Learning
Brittany
Sep 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very cute story about making new friends.
Deborah Harris
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, kids-books
Hey, it's Franklin, doing what he always does and learning a worthwhile Lesson with minimal joking around.
Melissa
Mar 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: luke-read
A reminder to be inclusive and welcoming. A story I'll re-read my son when he starts school.
Rebecca
Apr 07, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: friends, belonging
This book tells the tale of two friends. One who is opening up to those different from him, and the other getting used to a new place. I recommend this book for Kindergarten-1st grades.
Dharwiyanti
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cerita-anak, franklin
Tadinya Franklin nggak mau berteman dengan Moos, murid baru di kelasnya, karena Moos besar dan sepertinya mengerikan.

Mengajarkan anak untuk nggak menilai orang dari penampakan luarnya ;).
Charlie Beck
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Franklin the turtle doesn't want to be friends with the new kid, a moose, because he's so big. But Franklin's opinion turns around.
  • Words Are Not for Hurting(Best Behavior)
  • D.W. Flips!
  • Incredible You!: 10 Ways to Let Your Greatness Shine Through
  • Butterflies in My Stomach and Other School Hazards
  • Clifford's Manners (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • My No No No Day
  • Too Purpley!
  • Bears on Chairs
  • How Do Dinosaurs Say I'm Mad?
  • When I Was Little: A Four-Year-Old's Memoir of Her Youth
  • Apple Trouble!
  • Henry and Mudge in the Family Trees (Henry and Mudge, #15)
  • The Icky Bug Alphabet Book
  • Maisy Goes to the Hospital: A Maisy First Experience Book
  • Fancy Nancy: The Show Must Go On
  • We Share Everything!
  • The Grumpy Morning
  • I Took the Moon for a Walk
Born in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Bourgeois graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Occupational therapy from the University of Western Ontario in 1974. She was a psychiatric occupational therapist for three years before deciding to focus on her writing. She studied journalism at Carlton University then worked as a reporter for the Ottawa Citizen and CBC Television. She became a freelance journal ...more

Franklin the Turtle (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Franklin In The Dark