Start by marking “The Adventures Of Goodnight And Loving” as Want to Read:
The Adventures Of Goodnight And Loving

The Adventures Of Goodnight And Loving

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  136 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
When George Goodnight, a lawyer on the staff of a London newspaper, finds his marriage has gone sour, his family holiday is cancelled and his car, broken down on the motorway, has been stolen, he walks through a gate in a fence on a summer's day in the middle of England. What he doesn't know, as he takes his first light steps across the sunlit meadows near the tiny village ...more
Paperback
Published January 1st 1987 by Penguin Books Ltd

To ask other readers questions about The Adventures Of Goodnight And Loving, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Adventures Of Goodnight And Loving

MB (What she read)
Apr 20, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Readers who'd like a quietly wry & understatedly humorous British adventure
It took me a little while to get into, but I ended up really enjoying this oddly humorous book.

George Goodnight, a Fleet Street lawyer is bored. He's bored with his humdrum monotonous life, he's bored with his wife, and he's bored with his upcoming annual Cornish vacation. This unhappiness plays out in his getting annoyingly drunk at a sedate dinner party and reciting obscene limericks to all the flabberghasted guests. The next day his humiliated wife serves him with divorce papers, he takes off
Richard Westran
Jan 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book sometime in the 90s.
At that time I was at least 10 years younger than the protagonist, George Goodnight, but the story stuck with me for many years, more than any book I have ever read.

I bought it again now in eBook form and started reading it last week.
I now find myself on the other side of 43, which is George's age.
Suddenly the book seems to resonate more with me than it ever did.

In the words of George Goodnight to his wife in the first chapter,
"I WANT AN ADVENTURE!".
Sarah Handley
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all-time favourite books & the one that got me into travelling. It's a very easy read but a very satisfying story of a person who needed to live his life, not just exist. I re-read this book at least once every 2 years to remind myself that there's a big world out there & many experiences to enjoy (or dislike).
Nicky Wells
Sep 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all time favourites. You've got to read this! Mr George Goodnight experiences the most bizarre and random but somehow logically connected and perfectly plausible events following a bit of a bust up with his wife. FANTASTIC reading.
Steven matthews
Dec 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Without a doubt one of my favourite books of all time, a great adventure and very funny at times
Lionel Denny
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really enjoyable read, a book that makes you smile as the main character, George Goodnight, travels around the world with a series of amazing adventures. Loved it.
Jean
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The book as a whole was fair--not bad, but certainly not as uproariously funny as reviews and jacket blurbs implied--but was also marred by some pretty unpalatable racial/cultural stereotyping. Probably not unusual for the time it was written, but while I'm willing to give, e. g. Dickens a pass for anti-semitism, the 1980's are not quite long enough past to get the same treatment from me.
Pam
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Fiction/510
SERIES/STAND ALONE: Stand Alone
TIME/PLACE: 1980's/UK
CHARACTERS: George Goodnight/attorney
FIRST LINES: He had missed yet another day of summer.

COMMENTS:

09/04/08 rec bookcrossing ring/ray
Jul 02, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a, humour
Extremely long and rambling story of one man's travels round the world, and all the difficult situations and strange people he meets on his way, told with light humour. It was quite pleasant and and relaxing, but not mind-blasting, to say the least.
Bridget
Mar 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: all-time-faves
This guy gets into such crazy adventures. It's a rolling snowball sort of tale.
Melinda
Jan 16, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: easy reading
x-mas gift. easy reading.
W. Nicol
May 04, 2014
Juanita
Jul 31, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Born in Newport, Monmouthshire, 1931, Leslie Thomas is the son of a sailor who was lost at sea in 1943. His boyhood in an orphanage is evoked in This Time Next Week, published in 1964. At sixteen, he became a reporter, before going on to do his national service. He won worldwide acclaim with his bestselling novel The Virgin Soldiers, which has achieved international sales of over four million copi ...more
More about Leslie Thomas...