Start by marking “Book of the Spider: From Arachnophobia to the Love of Spiders” as Want to Read:
Book of the Spider: From Arachnophobia to the Love of Spiders

Book of the Spider: From Arachnophobia to the Love of Spiders

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  47 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
In the tradition of Sue Hubbell's Book of Bees, here is an engrossing and exploration of the spider in myth, history, and scientific fact. Paul Hillyard, a specialist on spiders at the Natural History Museum in London for 20 years, explores the intriguing legends surrounding spiders and offers a provocative examination of the lives of these beautiful, mystical, sometimes t ...more
Published August 31st 1999 by Random House USA Inc (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Book of the Spider, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Book of the Spider

Kate Turner
May 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bugs, nature
This book contains a wealth of folklore and facts about a much-maligned creature. I recommend it, of course, if you already love spiders, but I ESPECIALLY recommend it if you fear spiders -- it might change your perspective a little!
Lauren
Aug 13, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5. Spiders are amazing. I learned so much and appreciate them even more now than I already did. I loved how this book combined folklore and mythology surrounding spiders with science. The hand-drawn illustrations play down some of the more fearsome aspects of spiders. Suggest you google "the tarantella."
Shea Mastison
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Paul Hillyard is a surprisingly charming British "spider specialist." This book is an excellent introductory read on our eight-legged fellows; it covers aspects of biology, mythology, and popular sentiment to paint a fascinating picture of spiders.

Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of the little beasties. However, this book has altered my perspective enough to make me want to read more. If I'm able; I certainly plan on reading more from Hillyard.

Kay
Aug 03, 2007 rated it liked it
A treasury of spider lore, mostly attempting to boost the much-maligned creature's reputation. According to Hellyard, only three percent of the populace "enjoys" spiders. I can't honestly say I always enjoy them, but I will say I find them fascinating. Lots of hows and whys in this book, though it's by no means comprehensive.
Gwyn
Oct 02, 2008 marked it as to-read
Ok, just kidding. I will never read this book.
Sheila Hooker
Aug 08, 2008
Barb Hanahan
Jan 01, 2016
Maggie
So far this book is not helping me overcome my fear of spiders, but enhancing it.
Nkirillov