Start by marking “Hooray for You!: A Celebration of "You-Ness"” as Want to Read:
Hooray for You!: A Celebration of "You-Ness"

Hooray for You!: A Celebration of "You-Ness"

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  149 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Hooray for You! is a celebration of "you-ness" the grand sum of body, mind and heart that makes every person truly unique!
The perfect gift of congratulations, encouragement or just because, Hooray For You! is the ideal way to commemorate the simplest or most significant life accomplishments.
Whether graduating from kindergarten or college, winning a spelling bee or a mara
Published September 1st 2003 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Hooray for You!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hooray for You!

Morgan Dodd
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite children's book to promote self worth. Some students may see their friends in the classroom and want to wear their clothes or fix their hair that way,but this book lets them know that they are perfect just the way they are. I love the bright colors of this book and the illustrations that bring the theme of the book to life. Each page encourages children to celebrate themselves and to be comfortable in their own skin. This is a must buy for your classroom!
Alyssa
May 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Great artwork. A book I will continue to read to my baby as she grows up!
Suzanna Hollinsaid
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
This book describes the you-ness of each person. There is nobody else that fills the hole in the world left by you. Children are encouraged to be themselves and to celebrate every aspect of who they are. I love this book! I love how it encourages students to be proud of who they are made to be. I would read this at the beginning of the year to let students know they can be themselves in the classroom.
J-Lynn
Jul 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book celebrates individuality or “you-ness” which the author blurb explains is “the sum of characteristics that makes somebody special.” It is a fun book to help teach self-esteem and to send the message that it is okay to be unique and different. My favorite lines:

“And your certain good looks are just one teensy part
of the you-ness galore of your mind and you heart.
This is the essence of what you’re about,
the true who of you within and throughout.”

The illustrations are big paint strokes w
Jessica
Jul 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: elementary educators
Overview
This book is appropriate for pre-k to grade 2. Author Marianne Richmond encourages children to embrace and celebrate thier individual differences. Characters discuss facial differences, color differences, how everyones body parts work differently and all the other ideas that make us unique. This book is a celebration of each child.
Pictures are colorful, bright and the story has ryhme abd rythem.

Activities
*photograph each student and make a collage of the class
*create self-portraits using
Charmaine
Mar 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Hooray for You is a poem written for students to celebrate being unique. The main character in the story is the reader themselves and the story describe children in many different ways; highlighting people are different from one another. Hooray for You emphasizes children embracing their different characteristics. In addition, the story teaches students the value of being unique and different from other people because it makes the world a more diverse place. The simple repetition of rhyming word ...more
Luz
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-esteem
Delighful pictures book that teaches very young readers a lifelong lesson to take
pride in themselfs, rather than degrade their own esteem trying to copy someone else's individuality
Bold, fullcolor illustration in the style of what a preschooler could draw with crayons or paints drive the point home, that each of us are unique individual and the uniqueness is to be celebrated. The simple text is wtitten entirely in a signsong rhyme.
Katie
Feb 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great book to remind children that being you is the best way to be! This is a book to help build self-esteem and self-worth. The illustrations are vibrant and bright and keep the readers attention. It is also written in rhyme. A great book to read in the beginning of the school year to show your students that they truly are one of a kind and that nobody can take that away from them. Recommended for all ages.
Josiah
Apr 22, 2009 rated it it was ok
I would give this book two and a half stars, and I certainly considered three.
There is a lot of good material in the story, featuring several lines that jump out and hug an open heart. The depth of tone is more significant than that in most picture books, and in some ways it reminded me (and not just because of the rhyming scheme) quite a bit of Dr. Seuss in his best publications.
Overall, I would say that this is a very good picture book.
Cara Kemnitz
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: group
My favorite thing about the book is the rhyming aspect. It's a good resource for working on the rhyming aspect of phonemic awareness. The theme of the book is identity-affirming, instilling the message that each child is inherently valuable. It addresses issues like comparing ourselves and wanting to be like other people, and is a necessary topic in youth development.
Shauna
Feb 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
I decided to read this when someone does something that merits applause. A cute poem about self-worth with bright, fun illustrations. I read it to Sophia after her (amazing!) dance performance, and I read it to Coco when she said she was sorry to a neighbor for being impolite. (Saying sorry is hard for her ofttimes). A fun book to mark a special occasion.
Molly
Jun 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents or nannies
Recommended to Molly by: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
This book has a great message and is written in rhymes similar to Dr. Seuss, but they don't roll of the tongue with quite as much ease. The illustrations are bright an bold and give children a lot to look at while each short page is being read. This book is one that should be read to a child by an adult, I think that's the best way to get the book's message through to the child.
Cayla Lile
Sep 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This an incredibly sweet book about celebrating "You-ness!" I love the positive message this book sends to anyone who reads it. It is great for all ages, and really sends a message of loving everything about yourself and embracing what makes you unique!
Kami
Feb 14, 2009 rated it really liked it
Great story for everyone who needs a pick me up. I love reading this to my kids. We have read it 7 times since we got it for Valentines day. I love the last page. "Look in the mirror. Love who you see. Stand tall. Smile big. Shout HOORAY FOR ME!"
Nikki
Mar 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit
Wonderful, beautiful picture book! One of my new faves!! The colors absolutely burst off the pages. This book is filled with contagious enthusiasm and it tells the reader, the child, how absolutely wonderful it is to be unique, to be you. Love it! A great read for every child!!
Elizabeth Mcdonough
This book has beautiful illustrations and is written poetically to describe the importance of "you-ness." The book is great to teach children about self-esteem and self-love. I also love the language the author uses and the rhyming word would be great to teach young students about rhyming words.
Kelci Cox-Griswold
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-esteem
I really enjoyed this book. Sometimes students get down on themselves or just have low self esteem to begin with. This would be good to show them that everyone is special. Students also like to make fun of differences that other people have, so this would be good to celebrate the differences.
Emily Taylor
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: book-collection
Peritext: Balloons and stars on front cover. Different faces on the inside covers.
Author: Marianne Richmond
Themes: Celebrating individuality
Text: Standard with occasional shifts in the orientation of the page.
Thoughts: A nice story to celebrate the unique-ness of students and the way they think
Shannon
Jul 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone with kids and everyone who calls themselves "me"
Shelves: childrens
I read this book to my girls last night and kept finding myself trying not to cry because of the powerfulness of the words they used to describe "you" as a person. I loved it and look forward to reading it to them again and again. Talk about a self-esteem booster book!
Megan
Feb 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite book of all time. I don't care if you are 2 or 102. My favorite line is "For quite a long time the world saved a place. Millions were born, yet none filled your space... Until the second of a minute of one special day, you took your first breath and the world said HOORAY!
Melanie
A cute rhyming story about the individuality of each child. Unfortunately it is not multicultural. It looks as if there was an attempt to make multicultural characters, so there are brown faces. Other than that, the features of these kids are nothing except white.
Judy Ekblad
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wonderful celebration of what makes all of us "unique individuals!"
Heather
Jun 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
My favorite line in it says, "Goodbye doubt, hooray self". Claire and I practice that numerous times a day. You can't start too early with a positive self image!
Tina
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great book about uniqueness!
Cormac Kenney
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Personalized version!
DixieJo
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture
took Shauna's advice and got this book! Love it and we have already Hooray-ed everyone in the family for something!
Natalie Weber
May 04, 2014 rated it liked it
This would be great for younger children.
Taylor Kundel-Gower
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
Everyone could use this self-esteem pick-me-up now and then!
Teri
Dec 30, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommended to Teri by: Jennifer
Very colorful illustrations. A great celebration of you. The only quibble I have is the word you-ness. I keep thinking, Eunice.;)
Jessica
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I would give this 5 stars of the illustraions showed some diversity. However, I love this book! I great gift book for sure.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Excuse Me!: A Little Book of Manners
  • Moo Hoo
  • Beatrice Doesn't Want To
  • In the Garden with Van Gogh
  • Curious George Visits a Toy Store (Curious George New Adventures)
  • What If You Had Animal Teeth!?
  • A Mother for Choco
  • Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen
Author and illustrator Marianne Richmond has touched the lives of millions through her delightful gift books, greeting cards and gift products distributed worldwide. Her enchanting artistic style and sincere sentiment, which adorn a growing number of products truly offer fans the most heartfelt way to celebrate the feelings of life.