Start by marking “Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1)” as Want to Read:
Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1)

Blind Justice

(Sir John Fielding #1)

Now in trade paperback, the very first John Fielding historical mystery.

Falsely charged of theft in 1768 London, thirteen-year-old orphaned printer's apprentice Jeremy Proctor finds his only hope in the legendary Sir John Fielding. Fielding, founder of the Bow Street Runners police force, then recruits young Jeremy in his mission to fight London's most wicked crimes.
Published November 1st 1995 by Berkley (first published September 15th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Blind Justice, please sign up.
Asteropê Yeah, there's a lot of them. Just scroll down. You could also check out other sites, like Amazon as well. …moreYeah, there's a lot of them. Just scroll down. You could also check out other sites, like Amazon as well. (less)

Start your review of Blind Justice (Sir John Fielding, #1)
Phrynne
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
A delightful historical mystery! The main character, Sir John Fielding was half brother to Henry Fielding who wrote the brilliant The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling and this book is written in a Fielding type style. Old fashioned but still easy to read.

Set in London in 1768 the book is busy with prostitutes, gamblers and street thieves. We visit Newgate Jail and Bow Street Court where Sir John deals out justice on criminals caught by the Bow Street Runners. I love all this historical stuff!

Th
Anne
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
My daughter and I have read all of the Sir John Fielding novels and were heartbroken when we heard that Bruce Alexander had died. Read all of them, in order, and you will be so happy.
Another series of books that are somewhat similar are the Sebastian St. Cyr novels by C.S. Harris. Again, a series that needs to be read in order.
Still yet another series that you will enjoy of this type are the Lady Julia Grey books (Silent as the Grave) etc. by Deanna Raybourn are fabulous.
Whew! all of these won
Jane
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised at this one--usually an era I'm not interested in. This was the first volume in an enjoyable mystery series, with Sir John Fielding, 18th century blind magistrate and founder of the Bow Street Runners, and his "helper", 13-year-old Jeremy Proctor, who narrates the cases. This is a classic "locked room" mystery, with the revelation of the villain revealed in Sir John's gathering all the suspects together in the same room.

Lord Goodhope commits suicide, but Jeremy's not
Lynn Spencer
Jan 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I started this new-to-me series on the recommendations of several friends, and I really enjoyed it. The basic premise involves a young orphan, newly arrived in London, being brought before the magistrate on what was a scam. However, the magistrate, Sir John Fielding, sees right through the plot and after freeing young Jeremy Proctor, takes him into his home until an apprenticeship can be found for him.

I did not know much about the real Sir John Fielding, but he is so vividly described here in th
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Actual rating: 3.5 stars
Book Concierge
Alexander has written a mystery featuring a real historical figure. Sir John Fielding was a celebrated magistrate in 18th century London. Blinded in a navy accident, he presided over the Bow Street Court, and was known for his ability to recognize criminals by the sound of their voices. He was also instrumental in founding London’s first professional police force, the Bow Street Runners.

Alexander’s novel relies on a young narrator. Thirteen-year-old Jeremy Proctor is an orphan who arrives in Lon
Blaine DeSantis
Aug 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good first entry in the Sir John Fielding Mystery Series. Based on the Historical figure who began the forerunner of the London police department, this series alleges to follow some of the trials of this blind London Magistrate. It is a very interesting premise, and this first book sets up Sir John as a kindly, beloved and yet authoritative figure, one who takes the narrator of the series into his home after he was falsely accused of theft. Set in the mid-1700's this is a fascinating peri ...more
kaoyler
Mar 02, 2010 rated it liked it
I would really give this book 3.5 stars. It was an intriguing mystery told from the viewpoint of a character recounting his experience with a blind magistrate, Sir John Fielding. Historically, Fielding is one of the men who started the Bow Street Runners and was the half-brother of Henry Fielding, novelist. At the start Jeremy Proctor, the narrator, is 13 and just come to London after the loss of both parents. He is brought before Sir John on false charges of theft, which Sir John recognizes and ...more
LJ
Blind Justice(Hist-Jeremy/John Fielding-London-Georgian) - VG
Alexander, Bruce - 1st in series
Putnam, 2005, US Hardcover

I am fascinated by books about the Bow Street Runners and early police procedures in England. Alexander has clearly done his research as his book is rich with detail of life in Georgian England. His characters are wonderful and Jeremy very well drawn. I shall definitely be reading more of this series.
Stacie  Haden
4.5 stars. I'll be reading this whole series. I thoroughly enjoy well written historical mysteries, and that fits that niche perfectly!
London, 1768
Brandy Painter
Oct 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Sir John Fielding was the half brother of British novelist, Henry Fielding. Together they started the first London police force known as the Bow Street Runners. After Henry's death, John took over as the Bow Street Magistrate. His ability to discern truth and learn the facts of crimes was extraordinary given that he was blinded in an accident in the Navy when he was 19. Bruce Alexander wrote 11 fiction novels in which the historical figure of Sir John is the protagonist. Blind Justice is the fir ...more
Carl
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Although I missed Bruce Alexander's mystery series first time around, a friend of mine highly recommended it (Thanks Mary!). I was not disappointed; it is certainly one of the better historical mystery series I have read in the past 20 years. The series depicts London of the 1700s in a descriptive manner reminiscent of Dickens; the strong descriptive writing giving us the sights and sounds of 1700 London: the thieves, pickpockets, outdoor markets, the street walkers, people from various classes, ...more
Cath
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
I truly enjoyed this book. Great characters in Sir John Fielding and young Jeremy. The setting was well established and the historical aspects interesting. The mystery was good. I kinda figured it out but that didn't damper the pleasure of the read. Secondary characters were also interesting and well drawn. My only discomfort with the novel was the treatment of several of the women. Although I am aware that historically women, especially of the underclass, had very little protection from sexual ...more
Leslie
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
2020 reread: I had forgotten how much I enjoy this series! Even though I remembered the plot fairly well, it was still a lot of fun.
--------------------------
Alexander's Sir John Fielding series combines two of my favorite genres - mysteries and historical fiction from the Regency era. I enjoyed the first person narrative, reminiscent of Watson's chronicles of Sherlock Holmes. The historical aspects were well researched and the mystery plot was skillfully crafted.
Patti
This is the 3rd time I've read this book, and it just keeps on being one of my all time favorite books (12-7-16) ...more
Paul Weiss
Aug 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
A mystery lover's mystery!

In 1768, a recently orphaned Jeremy Proctor arrives in London and promptly finds himself in the dock facing false charges of theft under the gavel of the blind magistrate, Sir John Fielding. The justice, wisdom and perspicacity of Sir John prevails and Jeremy, cleared of all charges, finds himself, despite his youth, in the enviable position of assisting Sir John in investigating the details of the messy suicide of a member of the House of Lords, Sir Richard Goodhope.

Bl
Rick Rapp
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a fine mystery and the characters (some based on historical figures) were interesting, some humorous, others duplicitous. The premise of setting a murder mystery in 18th century London is quite a compelling one. This affords Alexander an opportunity to offer some historical context as well as to weave the dastardly tale. I was able to figure out one part of the mystery and that always gives me pleasure. The tale is layered, though, and in some of them I came up woefully short. This is a ...more
Melody
Oct 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
An intricate tale of murder, deception and brutality. Set in the 1800 in England there is no formal police and each local court seems to be its own investigative service. Interesting look at the times.
Steve H
Oct 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great storytelling, great characters and a great atmosphere of the era created by the author 👍🏻
Really enjoyed it....I’ll be on to book 2 very soon 👍🏻😁
Maryann
Apr 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Thanks Stacie Haden for bringing me back to this series.
Heidi
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
very fun little murder mystery!
Sandi aka Maudley
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
Written through the eyes of a thirteen-year-old boy, the first in a mystery series featuring blind magistrate Sir John Fielding. Very atmospheric. Intriguing mystery with compelling main characters and a host of interesting secondary characters.
Madhulika Liddle
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
In 1768, thirteen year old orphan Jeremy Proctor arrives in London, to be immediately framed for theft and hauled up before a legendary magistrate: the blind man, Sir John Fielding, brother of Henry Fielding (author of Tom Jones), and inheritor of the system of policing set up by Henry at Bow Street: the Bow Street Runners. Within a couple of days, Jeremy finds himself a part of Sir John Fielding’s household, and helping the magistrate investigate the gruesome suicide—or is it murder?—of a debau ...more
Rachel
This story falls more on the Agatha Christie side than Jack the Ripper dark Victorian of other stories. The story centers on John Fielding, a court magistrate in London during the 1750's. What makes this story the most fascinating is that John Fielding was a real person. He and his brother, Henry Fielding founded the Bow Street Runners, London's first organized police force. Perhaps the most notable feature of the Judge, beside being honest, is the fact that he is blind. While the storyline itse ...more
Keri
Jun 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
I breezed through this book - in the good way. The characters were that compelling and that life-like that I thought I was reading a true story, rather than a novel based on a historical figure.

Jeremy Proctor finds himself in the care of Sir John Fielding, a blind magistrate who started the Bow Street Runners with his half-brother. During his stay, he becomes involved in the investigation of Lord Goodhope's murder, and his contributions prove to shine a whole new light on the case.

As a narrator
Dorie
The first book in a historical crime series set in 1768 London featuring Sir John Fielding, a blind magistrate and founder of the Bow Street Runners police force. The narrator is Jeremy Proctor, 13 years old when the story starts and recent orphaned. Jeremy runs to London, where he is quickly tricked and accused of theft by a con artist. He ends up in front of Sir John, who easily figures the truth of the matter and then takes Jeremy under his wing. Jeremy ends up assisting him when Sir John inv ...more
Sherry
Aug 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a great read. Set in the 1700s based around John Fielding, blind magistrate, who makes up for his handicap with his keen other senses and brilliant deduction. The narrator is 13 year old Jeremy Proctor recently orphaned when his father dies in the stocks. Jeremy comes before the magistrate accused of a crime he does not commit. Fielding "sees through" the con of Jeremy's accusers. Fielding sets him free and sets out to find him an apprenticeship in the printing trade, a trade taught to ...more
Barb
I really enjoyed this murder mystery set in eighteenth century London. I enjoyed the characters of Sir John Fielding and his charge Jeremy Proctor.

The customs and flavor of London during the times were well depicted with horrid smells and all. The characters were well developed and realistic. The mystery was a good one and I was surprised at the big reveal at the end.

It was an easy read with good tension and I enjoyed the narration in the fictional account of Master Jeremy's memoir.

It reminded
Trina
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow, this whole series of historical mysteries is just fantastic. I have a soft spot for the first one, in which 13-year-old Jeremy is brought before the bench for alleged theft to be tried by magistrate, Sir John Fielding (brother of Henry Fielding, the novelist). Known as the Blind Beak, the judge takes in young Jeremy as his eyes as they solve the first of many hard cases in 1700s London. Outstanding, a cut above the usual genre.
Pamela B
Feb 09, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the first book in a charming historical mystery series of a young man's adventures in helping the blind magistrate Sir John Fielding solve murder mysteries. Sir John Fielding was the brother of the writer Henry Fielding, and London is indeed a colorful character in the books. There's a gentleness in the relationship between Sir John and his charge that is quite appealing. ...more
Play Book Tag: Blind Justice / Bruce Alexander - 4**** 3 15 Jul 31, 2019 12:58PM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Historical mystery 3 17 Apr 08, 2019 08:01AM
Has anyone read this author? 3 10 Feb 03, 2018 07:26AM

• Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • Darwin's Radio (Darwin's Radio #1)
  • When Gods Die (Sebastian St. Cyr, #2)
  • Phantom Evil (Krewe of Hunters, #1)
  • Hit Parade (Keller, #3)
  • Quantico
  • Śmierć i trochę miłości (Каменская, #7)
  • See No Evil: The True Story of a Ground Soldier in the CIA's War on Terrorism
  • The Best of Isaac Asimov (Doubleday science fiction)
  • The Greatest Science Fiction Stories of the 20th Century
  • The History of the United States
  • A Burial at Sea (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #5)
  • A Death in the Small Hours (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #6)
  • Chill of Fear (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #8; Fear #2)
  • An Old Betrayal (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #7)
  • Thereby Hangs a Tail (A Chet and Bernie Mystery, #2)
  • What Remains of Heaven (Sebastian St. Cyr, #5)
  • Home by Nightfall (Charles Lenox Mysteries, #9)
Pseudonym of American journalist and author Bruce Cook.

Bruce Alexander Cook (1932–2003) was an American journalist and author who wrote under the pseudonym Bruce Alexander, creating historical novels about a blind 18th century Englishman and also a 20th century Mexican-American detective.

Sir John Fielding (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Murder in Grub Street (Sir John Fielding, #2)
  • Watery Grave (Sir John Fielding, #3)
  • Person or Persons Unknown (Sir John Fielding, #4)
  • Jack, Knave and Fool (Sir John Fielding, #5)
  • Death of a Colonial (Sir John Fielding, #6)
  • The Color of Death (Sir John Fielding, #7)
  • Smuggler's Moon (Sir John Fielding, #8)
  • An Experiment In Treason (Sir John Fielding, #9)
  • The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)
  • Rules of Engagement (Sir John Fielding, #11)

News & Interviews

Psychological thrillers that will leave your head spinning. Cold cases, detectives hot on a trail, unreliable narrators, and a dash of poison...
“A man can be known by his library better than by his house or dress.” 0 likes