Start by marking “Vampires Among Us” as Want to Read:
Vampires Among Us

Vampires Among Us

3.45  ·  Rating details ·  139 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
For centuries, vampires have been the stuff of myth and legend, dreams and nightmares. Now, a journalist and psychic investigator reveals the secret lives of modern-day vampires. Based on interviews and first-person accounts, this book tell of the bizzare double lives of many men and women.
Published August 1st 1991 by Pocket Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Vampires Among Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampires Among Us

Jeff
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone in school doing a report/essay.
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.
1st Read: May 16, 1996 - May 18, 1996 (*** Rating)

Would be an excellent guide for direction...if you chose to go that route. I did enjoy the book for the most part as I have always been interested in Dracula and vampires. The writing is alright and the author seems to make fun of herself at intervals. It was refreshing to hear of different cultures and their beliefs as well. The book is now out of print, so I will be hanging on to mine for awhile yet.

2nd Read: July 10, 2017 - July 21, 2017 (*
Megan
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
"The Suprising Story of Real Life Vampires in the 20the Century" Meh. I remember this being slightly on the kooky side back when I first read it sometime in the 1990's. Haven't found the motivation to read it a second time, so I am getting rid of it during the Great Home Library Purge of 2010.
John Wick
Feb 22, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: those interested in vampires
Shelves: vampires
the book is a little weak, however it was the first book I ever read about the phenomenon of Vampirism that took it seriously (though mature reflection reveals this book to be weak in many respects). I still hold onto it because it started my infatuation.
Titus Hjelm
Much more sympathetic than some of the other books on real vampires--to the point of being a bit too gullible for an academic taste.
Myron
Jun 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: skepticism
The title of this book should have been "Vampires Among Us: the Delusions of the Fantasy-Prone, Histrionic Personality".

Terrible and devoid of rational or critical examination of any substance.
Olivia
Apr 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I just loved this book! I found it interesting and creepy all at the same time. Too bad it is out of print now! You can still find it on amazon used.
Lisa w
Jun 17, 2011 rated it liked it
interesting
SmarterLilac
Feb 14, 2009 rated it liked it
It's not Carl Bernstein or anything, but after finishing this book, I was halfway convinced that maybe, just maybe, vampires do exist.
Leeda
  • Cult Rapture
  • Forever Knight: A Stirring of Dust
  • Shit Magnet: One Man's Miraculous Ability to Absorb the World's Guilt
  • The Vampire: A Casebook
  • The Book of Common Dread (Vincent DeVilbiss, #1)
  • Ghosts Caught On Film: Photographs of the Paranormal
  • I Want to Grow Hair, I Want to Grow Up, I Want to Go to Boise
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • Crime Classification Manual: A Standard System for Investigating and Classifying Violent Crimes
Rosemary Ellen Guiley is a leading expert on the paranormal, and is the author of 45+ books, including ten single-volume encyclopedias. Since 1983, she has worked full-time in the paranormal, researching, investigating and writing. She has done extensive field work investigating haunted, mysterious and sacred places, and has had numerous strange and unexplained experiences. When she is not on the ...more
More about Rosemary Ellen Guiley...