Start by marking “Mystery of the Witches' Bridge” as Want to Read:
Mystery of the Witches' Bridge

Mystery of the Witches' Bridge

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  182 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Originally published in hardcover as The Witches' Bridge.

Evil haunts the Witches' Bridge...the foggy marshes...the old Pride house!! Now young Dan Pride has come to live there. Can he escape the terror that hangs over Witches' Bridge? That night, Dan sees a weird light, flickering out on the marsh. "D-A-N,"the light spells out in code. "DAN PRIDE..."
Published 1967 by Scholastic

To ask other readers questions about Mystery of the Witches' Bridge, please sign up.

Marcie I had a devil of a time finding this book. I read it in grade school and never forgot it, finally googled "mystery with a dog named Caliban" (and how…moreI had a devil of a time finding this book. I read it in grade school and never forgot it, finally googled "mystery with a dog named Caliban" (and how I remembered the dog's name is anybody's guess). This book gets the credit for my life long love of mysteries.(less)

Militarybooks
Nov 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot begin to describe what this book meant to my childhood. A reading of the other reviews will suffice for now.

Ms. Carleton (now 92) and I correspond semi-regularly, and I thought fans of MOTWB would like to know that with Ms. Carleton's blessing, we have begun work on a screenplay. Although Ms. Carleton is alive and wellm, we are keenly aware of the passage of time. Wish us luck. Feel free to reach me with any comments at militarybooks at sbcglobal dot net.

tps
Kathryn
I decided to read this after reading and loving the author's The Secret of Saturday Cove. Though "Saturday Cove" appears to be less well-known than "Witch's Bridge", I actually enjoyed it more and would encourage anyone who liked "Witch's Bridge" to give it a try. Even though "Saturday Cove" is not a spooky book, the sense of adventure and mystery is even more palpable, IMO, and I liked the characters better overall, too. It would make an especially good summer read.

Now, on to "Witch's Bridge" -
Bryan
Jun 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite book from childhood. I actually bought two copies in hard back last year. The hard back edition is called "The Witches' Bridge". I can remember reading this on my back porch one summer as a boy. I was totally engrossed and mesmerized. I read it again last year after about 30 years and it was just as thrilling and exciting as it was when I was young! To me, there are no other books that have such a memorable and nostalgic appeal. Thank you...wherever you are Ms. Carleton!
Brita Tarrant
THIS BOOK IS ADDICTING. ONCE IT'S IN YOUR BLOOD YOU ARE NEVER ALONE. YOU ARE TRANSPORTED TO NEW ENGLAND TO FIND THAT YOU WILL NEVER BE FREE OF THE SPELL OF THE WITCHES' BRIDGE AND ALL THINGS PRIDE'S POINT.
Jan
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this book from a used book seller as a Christmas gift to myself. What a treat. I worried that my affection for the book, initially read in elementary school some 45 years ago and an immediate childhood favorite, would be diminished. Happily, the story not only held up but is head and shoulders above most contemporary mysteries written for the upper elementary audience today. Every significant character is well-developed, and the dialogue for secondary and tertiary characters gives each ...more
✰☽♥✰  Unsolved Mystery ✰♥☾✰

- My Description -
Dan Pride is an orphan who is sent off to live with his reclusive uncle. He is told of the tale of the Fiddler's fog, and also how his great grandfather was accused of witchcraft.

There is also a rift between two families with a lost suitcase that divides them.
Where is this suitcase?
Does it have the proof of guilt or innocence?

- My Review -
I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting to like this book.
I was surprised how much I enjoyed it.

It was a great mystery. It was never bo
Qt
Sep 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Qt by: Kathryn
4 1/2 stars. Loved it! Marshes, fogs, strange family history....it was definitely what I enjoyed reading! I really liked our hero Dan, and all the characters were believable. I *really* loved the writing style and language and the eerie atmosphere; the setting was just great. There was one little thing about the ending that bothered me slightly, but it wasn't anything major, and this was one of my favorite reads this fall.
Bryan
Jul 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, ya
If, like me, you've read a bunch of Hardy Boys mysteries as a kid, then you were in for a shock if you chanced upon this mystery! Grim stuff for a YA novel, there's a reference to a witches' sabbath on the 2nd page.

The main character is a bit brooding perhaps (unlike the good-natured Hardys), and perhaps the identity of the bad guy is a bit too obvious, but the mystery is well-concealed and the book is quite gripping right up to the end.

Reading it now as an adult, I'm amazed that there's so mu
Becky Ankeny
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first read this book in 6th grade, and then I could not remember the title so I could find it again until there it was at Goodwill with the cover I remembered! It's a great combo of ghost story and mystery and a courageous boy, Dan Pride, a lonely orphan looking for a family, a place to fit in. To talk much about the plot might spoil it, and it does move right along. Suffice it to say that the atmosphere is creepy in just the right amount, the soothsayer is awesomely St. Francis-like, and the ...more
Tyler Jones
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: juvenile
A very well constructed story full of mystery, danger and the lurking shadows of the evil...or is that just superstition? The plot unfolds at a pace much slower than books written for youngsters nowadays, but for the patient and attentive reader this book would still hold delight.
Katie Jones
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago in elementary school. I was enthralled! And it stuck with me. I've always wanted to find it again. To remember it with such fondness years later definitely deserves 5 stars. Hopefully, it will be a warm reunion when I finally get to read it again.
Catherine
My parents ordered this for me through the Scholastic(?) Book club when I was in elementary school, 4th grade, to be precise. I loved it...and still consider it my favourite childhood book. In this book, I remember first learning what a "causeway" was. My old copy (original art work was in shades of blues & murky greens), worn-out from multiple readings, has long since disappeared during the countless moves of a military family, but for all these years I've remembered the title ("The Witches ...more
Steven
Jun 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books read in elementary school, a Scholastic book club purchase (I was a book buying addict even then!), so it was fun to find a used copy and re-read it now, and even better to not be disappointed reading it again after all those years. Fun mystery in the foggy marshes and I can see why this was one of the books that made me want to write.
Mark
Jul 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My friend Theo Savas turned me on to this book - with the result that we both contacted the author and have since produced a screenplay adaptation with Ms. Carleton's permission. The book has a timeless message, of the value of friendship, of honesty, decency and moral integrity - it is a message that rings truer today than ever before.
Macjest
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As many other reviewers have commented, this is a beloved book from childhood. A few years ago I returned home. This was one of the few books I brought back with me. The author evoked such a spooky feeling and captivated me with the mystery. I never tire of going back and rereading this book. I just love stories with hidden passages, too.
Suzanne
Sep 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite mysteries when I was young. So if you have a teenager they might like it. However, I haven't been able to find a copy of it since then. I'm surprised it's even in this list since some people consider me ancient.
Jim
Dec 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book such a long time ago and loved it. It has everything - a creepy mansion, mysterious lights in the night, an old hermit, a secret passage and a mystery from the past. How could it miss? My old paperback copy fell apart but luckily I found a used hardback.
Dean
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
It almost seems like a kids book when you pick i up and thumb threw it, but it was surprisingly entertaining. Sometimes you have to let yourself be a kid again. I'm 55 years old, and although I love the classics and non-fiction and history, I enjoyed this book.
Kokab Rahman
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of my favorite childhood books. I read it three times and couldn't get enough of it. It definitely is a great book, classic material, and a must-read for all kids. I still love it and was really happy to see it reprinted.
Jason
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jason by: Mrs. Adamson in the 6th grade!
One of my all time favorite books from childhood. Such a mysterious, engrossing story. It made me fall in love with mysteries and with New England. It still holds up well when I reread it from time to time.
Kj
One of the last summer books mom ever read to me and my brother....spooky and wonderful in the late sixties. I have re-read it as an adult and even read it to my kids when they were young. It holds the test of time!
Rita
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this mystery! This was one of the first of many mystery books that I would grow to enjoy. In todays world it's probably not that awesome, but at the time I read it, it was!
Jane
Nov 23, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: greatkidsbooks
I have reread this book so many times that it's falling apart - but I still have it on my bookshelves. It was one of the first "ghost" books I read.
Denise Ortakales
One of my favorite books as a child. Very chilling! I've re-read it so many times since then, and it still sends chills down my spine.
Steven
Mar 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this when I was about 11 loved it so much I had to search it out and read it again.
Samwise673
Jan 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery people/ american history people
Absolutely one of the best children's book i have ever read.
Jeffrey
Jun 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popular-fiction
I remember reading this as a kid and being fascinated.
Megan
Read in Fairbury
Crystal
I LOVED this book when I was younger. I want to go back and read it again now.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I know I have a copy of this book somewhere, and I'm pretty sure I read it as a kid. Must find it and re-read it...
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
What's the Name o...: Children's, historical, witchcraft, east coast. [s] 5 252 Jun 14, 2014 12:02AM
Would this make a good movie? 4 14 Jul 12, 2010 08:38AM
  • The Year of Jubilo
  • Still More Two-Minute Mysteries
  • The Happy Hollisters and the Punch and Judy Mystery (Happy Hollisters, #27)
  • What Eric Knew (Sebastian Barth, #1)
  • Freddy and the Bean Home News
  • The Golden Name Day
  • The Mystery of the Crimson Ghost
  • We Made a Garden
  • Saturday the Rabbi Went Hungry
  • The Marvelous Inventions of Alvin Fernald
  • Dear Scarlett
  • The Night Child
  • Edward Eager's Tales of Magic (Tales of Magic #1 - 7)
  • The Halloween Kid
Born in Thomaston on August 17, 1917, Barbee Oliver Carleton was the daughter of Charles Forrest Oliver of Thomaston and Mildred Getchell Thurlow of Stonington.
Barbara grew up in Camden and graduated with the Camden High School Class of 1935. In 1940, she graduated from Wellesley College, Wellesley, MA, where she majored in English.
After teaching high school English, she married Granville Carleton