Start by marking “Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Southern Fatality (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)

Southern Fatality

(Jersey Barnes Mystery #1)

Immerse yourself in the magical port city atmosphere of Wilmington, North Carolina and visit The Block-- a historic building situated on the Cape Fear River that serves as a grill and pub downstairs and cozy living quarters upstairs. But don't get too comfortable, because when the sexy and hard-hitting security specialist Jersey Barnes stumbles into a scheme that will stea ...more
Published September 18th 2007 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Southern Fatality, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Southern Fatality

Karen
Mar 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Don't believe the people who say it is Stephanie Plum but in the south. Jersey has the ability to actually do the work, not bumble around like Stephanie. She is very competent in spying, fighting, tailing, all those good PI skills. She seems to be less honest with herself about her personal life than Stephanie. There are still moments of humor. People who have been to Wilmington and/or live there will no doubt get a kick out of reading about places they know. I agree with the review that said we ...more
Amy
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A fun read! Set in the historic district of Wilmington, NC, author, Ocean has been called the Janet Evanovich of the South. I love her main character, Jersey Barnes, a retired government "something" (not exactly an agent, but real close). She's come home after "retiring" from the biz, but gets tied up in an investigation for an old girlfriend of her current boyfriend.

With assistance from her best friend, Ox; her father, Spud; town detective, Dirk and her father's poker buddies, their investigat
Kelly
Jan 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Jersey Barnes is a government "spy" and the book starts on the day of her retirement. Things don't go exactly as planned, and she is persuaded to take a job for a friend of her boyfriend to find out if her husband is cheating. One thing leads to another, and before Jersey knows it she is in the middle of a kidnapping. I was quite surprised by the ending. I can't wait to read more about Jersey and her adventures in retirement.
Agatha Donkar
Feb 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: fans of Janet Evanovich or Laura Lippman
Super enjoyable -- good plot, interesting ensemble cast around the protagonist, and while I could have done without the repeated descriptions of Jersey's boobs, I really enjoyed it a lot. Think Janet Evanovich set in the South.

I'm bummed the CHPL doesn't have Ocean's other novels; I may finally have to shell out for an out-of-county borrower's card at the Durham Public Library.
Heidi
Feb 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. The heroine is spunky and full of it with a government paid for boob job and a kick ass attitude. We allknow how i love that. Mystery, a goofy father, and a coupla hot doods complete the story line... fun and I'm sure to read more of her books in the future
Courtney
Oct 27, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little more fun than Sue Grafton but not as crazy as Janet Evanovich. I thought it was a fun read and am eager to read her next adventure with Jersey Barnes.
Karin
Oct 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I was not expecting much when I picked up this book but I was quite surprised. A bunch of quirky characters and an interesting mystery made this a very enjoyable read. I did identify the murderer but the end still has a surprise twist. I would read more in this series.
Alise HARRIS
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: smart-women, southern
I loved this book! I'm disappointed there are only 2 more in the series. I've seen a lot of reviews on here comparing this series to Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovich. These are way better! Stephanie is an airhead. Jersey knows what she's doing and has a sense of humor.
Sarah Wilsman
Feb 23, 2018 rated it liked it
Lite female mysteries for Evanovich fans
Nicole
4.5 Stars

Jersey Barnes is a strong and independent woman. She is ready to begin an early and relaxing retirement, after working several years as a private security specialist. Unfortunately, her dream is postponed when her boyfriend, Bill, asks her to help his friend. Jersey takes on this supposedly simple task of surveillance for a few days, yet she is quickly thrust back into a world of kidnapping and an internet virus capable of stealing hundreds of millions dollars. Thankfully she has some r
Amanda
Dec 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shirley Worley
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Jersey Barnes thinks she has retired from a career as a security specialist only to find herself knee-deep doing surveillance on a possible cheating spouse as a favor for her boyfriend's college friend. That job quickly blossoms into a full out kidnapping and cyber-hacking crime, dubbed Social Insecurity, that would steal millions from hard-working Americans nationwide. The plot includes a variety of characters: Ox, her best friend and business partner; Spud, her aging ex-cop dad; Cracker, her f ...more
Kelly
May 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Southern Fatality is a fast paced book that will hook you from the first page. Jersey Barnes, a newly retired private security specialist, is looking forward to spending some time relaxing on her boat with her boyfriend to start her retirement off right. Things do go exactly as planned when her boyfriend "convinces" her to look into a problem for a friend of his. What should be a fairly easy favor gets Jersey caught up in the middle of a kidnapping, and some other hair raising situations. The en ...more
Melissa Myers
Jan 25, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
My problem with this book was she wrote it like a TV show script and it was so obvious from the time the mystery was introduced. The beginning was so promising but then she bungled it. I had no choice but to skip to the last chapter the writing made my eyes roll so much I could've had a seizure and guess what? I was right about everything including the very obvious romance angle. If the writing was better I might've been able to stick with it but oh my goodness it was awful!
Kathryn
Jul 20, 2008 rated it it was ok
A review for this book said it was the South's answer to Evanovich's Plum series. Not by a long shot. The main character, Jersey Barnes, is a retired marine who is always armed and knows how to kick butt. She solves her cases through intelligence and insight, not dumb luck. Mind you, I am a big fan of the Stephanie Plum books and am always looking for similar reads.
Sandy Brown
Oct 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I did not care for this book. It was not one I want to read more of the same thing.

Wasn't able to get my attention. No really Interesting subjects in the stories told. I liked other books by the a author but not the mysteries.
Jack Heath
Oct 02, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: category-mystery
Synopsis: Jersey asks, Who has kidnapped the son of the celebrity owner of a nationally-known brokerage firm?
Pam
Jul 20, 2008 marked it as to-read
07/18/08 rec via pbs
Punk
Feb 12, 2008 marked it as find-and-read
A says, "Like Janet Evanovich set in the south."
Julia
Nov 16, 2007 rated it did not like it
I couldn't really get into this mystery, which is touted as being a Southern Janet Evanovich. The parallels to the world of Plum were actually kind of distracting from the story itself.
Trina
Jun 08, 2009 rated it liked it
This was the first book by this author that I had read. I found T. Lynn Ocean to be a good writer who is entertaining. I will definitely read more books by her.
Pam
Jan 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
good for evanovich lovers
Susan R-G
Jan 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book-love Jersey Barnes

Spent my the new year reading. This is exactly third jersey barns book I have read, can't wait to get to the next one.
Jeannie Whitehurst
Fun Read

Liked the way the story line kept you wondering who was really involved. As the plot became clearer, the action became more exciting. The finish was unexpected.
Patty
Jul 18, 2009 rated it did not like it
I could not get into this one though the female ex-special agent character should have been appealing.
Ann
Apr 18, 2012 added it
The first of the Jersey Barnes series. This is a wild ride and makes you look forward to future titles.
Michelle Pereira
Jan 24, 2012
Kathy
rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2013
Stephanie Uhlmann
Aug 11, 2015
Kellie
Sep 24, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Folly
  • If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground
  • Covenant Hall (Bay Tanner, #9)
  • Southern Living
  • Killer Fudge (A Callahan Garrity Short Story)
  • Mortal Sins (Daman Rourke #1)
  • Paula Deen Celebrates!: Best Dishes and Best Wishes for the Best Times of Your Life
  • Auntie Claus and the Key to Christmas
  • Good Day in Hell (Jack Keller #2)
  • Reunion at Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #2)
  • Gone With a Handsomer Man
  • The Dark of Day
  • Ghost Gone Wild (Bailey Ruth, #4)
T. Lynn Ocean was first published in the 'North Myrtle Beach Times' (a small town weekly) but only after getting on one knee to beg the editor and offering to write for free. That was in 1995 and T. Lynn wrote the 'Humor Me' column for a year.

She went on to write freelance for various magazines and newspapers but her passion has always been fiction. Her first book, 'Fool Me Once', was published b

Jersey Barnes Mystery (3 books)
  • Southern Poison (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #2)
  • Southern Peril (A Jersey Barnes Mystery #3)