Start by marking “Scribbleville” as Want to Read:
Scribbleville

Scribbleville

4.55  ·  Rating details ·  53 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In Scribbleville, everything is made of wiggles and scribbles--with nary a straight line in sight. But one day a straight-as-a-stick stranger arrives. Perhaps he doesn't belong, but one child soon looks beyond the edges and sees what others cannot. Full color.
Hardcover
Published June 16th 2005 by Philomel

To ask other readers questions about Scribbleville, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scribbleville

Janette Fuller
Apr 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Scribbleville is a pleasant little town where everyone and everything is scribbled. The people have scribbled houses, scribbled pets and they walk with wiggles. There is not a single straight line in Scribbleville.

One day, a stranger moves into town and Scribbleville is never the same. The newcomer is straight, not scribbled, and drives a big yellow truck that is as straight as a stick. The man builds a perfectly straight house with a white picket fence around the yard. The people in Scribblevil
Maki
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very cute book about being yourself.
Reaghan Peterson
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el230
I actually came across this book in class and I loved it. I thought it had a great message behind the story. Its about accepting people for who they are. This book would be a good way to introduce diversity in a class.
Jill Espinoza
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: el230
Loved this book! It was all about making friends with people who aren't like you and to see past their appearance. You have to get to know someone before you go off and judge them. The people in scribbleville were very accepting of people that were different from them and that teaches kids not to judge one an other and to always get to know someone before you talk about them. This is one of my favorite children's books.
Cathy
Jan 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Welcome to Scribbleville, where everything is made entirely of wiggles, squiggles, and scribbles. Straight lines are nowhere to be found, and the people of Scribbleville like it that way! Until the day an odd-looking stranger arrives . . . He is as straight as a stick. He builds a square house with a pointed roof.Wherever he goes, people stare and think: Someone should tell him he doesn't belong! And perhaps he doesn't. Until one child looks beyond the edges and sees what others cannot.

A simple
Alice Gold
Dec 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-k-2nd
After reading the book Scribbleville with Caroline I knew it was one that we needed to review. It is a beautiful story that eloquently teaches children not to be afraid of people who are different.

This would be the ideal read for a children’s lesson on:

scribbletolerance
kindness
the acceptance of others
being oneself
opposites (scribbles vs. straight)
families
friends
children’s influence (the hero is a child)
the parts of a good story
character development
art theory (turning scribbles into pictures)

Go o
Lisa Vegan
Dec 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: young children and their adults, those who enjoy Dr. Seuss type rhyming books
I’d just read this author illustrator’s book The Big Blue Spot and I wanted to read his other books. This is another creative effort. I love children’s book creators who can both write and illustrate and this author does a magnificent job with doing both.

This is a perfect read aloud book. The rhyming story reminded me of Dr. Seuss’s books. The story contains a bit of social commentary and does so in a fun way. The message that differences among people should not be the cause of exclusion/separat
Jennie
Apr 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
In Scribbeville, where everything is made of squiggly lines, residents are scandalized by the arrival of a stranger made of straight lines. Although Scribbleville citizens are initially resistant to this man, a child helps everyone appreciate his differences.

Fun way to teach children about the absurdities of prejudice. Great analogy to interracial marriage – the town is horrified by the stick straight man’s relationship to a scribbled woman. Especially important- a child teaches the adults about
Sandy Brehl
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
The norm in Scribbleville is, of course, scribbles, and when a straight-lined truck with smooth round wheels rolls into town the tension begins. Told in generally competent rhymed verse it is an anaolgy about stereotypes, prejudice, etc. with some kid appeal, but a somewhat blatant and predictable message.
I was uncomfortable with the adjectives used for the "scribbled" traits (messy hair, chicken-scratch cats, etc.).
Aleisha Pendleton
I loved this book. I think it is great book to teach children the lesson of equality and treating everyone the same no matter how different. It would also be a good book to have an art assignment go along with it.
Kayla
Apr 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this story. It should be required reading for all families. What a great way to teach kids about diversity!
Horace Mann Family Reading Challenge
I like the book because it gives you a lesson that people may look different but they're still a person. Somebody may look different but greet then in a kind way not a mean way. A.
Kaitlin Moriarty
Sep 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I love the themes touched upon this book! Racism, diversity, etc. Me and my friend did a co-taught lesson using this book on vocabulary of tier two words and the children loved this book!
Christine Caruana