Start by marking “Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold” as Want to Read:
Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold

Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold

(Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold #1-3)

Everything that has happened -- or ever will happen -- can be found in the Book of Destiny, brother to the Sandman. The information contained on even a single page would be priceless, if mortals ever and the chance to see it. Now, at the beginning of the third millennium, an enigmatic stranger offers salvation to a lonely young woman in a plague-ravaged community when he ...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Vertigo (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Destiny, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Destiny

Start your review of Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold
M.M. Strawberry Library & Reviews
This was a fun spin-off to the Sandman series, but the story was not as solid as it could have been. I liked the variety of art styles used across the three issues of the volume.
PurplyCookie
"I see the end in every beginning. I hear the last word echo in the first. I do not desire, or dream, or destroy. I do not despair, or delight. I know."

There are people who create wonders with Gaiman's world and his creations in the Sandman universe (Bill Willingham and Caitlin Kiernan come quickly to mind). Alisa Kwitney, a former editor at Vertigo attempts to tell the story of our near-future where the bubonic plague has struck and killed off most of the world's population. This is with the
47Time
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-fantasy
The story is too complex for my taste, but I supposed others can find the mystery and interconnected nature of the stories enjoyable. The artwork isn't very consistent, give that several artists were involved, but I can't say it was bad. All in all, a good book, but without a definite conclusion.

The world is plunged in a plague. The remaining people are reticent when it comes to strangers and live isolated lives. So when a stranger who calls himself John Ryder comes to one such community, the
Maggie Gordon
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Ohh... a graphic novel featuring Destiny of the Endless! How exciting given how little attention he tends to receive. In this companion work, pages of Destiny's book have been stolen, the thief becomes pestilence, and stuff happens? Readers are told stories about different eras of the plague which is neat, but the narrative is a mite unclear. There is the potential for a great story in this book, but I feel like it needed stronger editing and more pages to get where it needed to go. Still worth ...more
Luciana Darce
Nov 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Destino: Crônica de Mortes Anunciadas (e não é coincidência que o título leve a obra de Gabriel Garcia Márquez...) destoa um pouco dos títulos que já li da coleção Sandman Apresenta, porque não tem uma conexão imediata com Sonho ou o Sonhar. Em vez disso, o protagonista – se é que assim podemos dizer – é seu irmão mais velho, Destino.

No mundo de Sandman nós temos sete irmãos que são representações antropomórficas de determinados princípios abstratos. Morte. Destino. Desejo. Destruição. Sonho.
Hannah Givens
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel, horror
I liked it, and it was a great creepy choice for Halloween with a lot of striking moments, but in the end it didn't really go anywhere.
Gheorghe Paslariu
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As sandman spinoffs go, this one is pretty good. I like the historical aspect of it. The whole book had a certain charm to it.
Janet Jay
3 stars for sandman, 4 for everything probably. It was an interesting story but felt a little too much like In Hell, & destiny could have been fleshed out better as a character
Aimee
Jul 02, 2017 rated it liked it
So, I need to read more graphic novels. This was an interesting and random selection; I now need another lifetime to explore the richness here as well. . .
Matt Sautman
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An Endless story of plague, apocalypse, and determinism- Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold is part historical fiction and part speculative fiction. The apocalyptical date given for the 4th great plague has come and gone, and thankfully we are all still here, but that does not take away from Alisa Kwitney's narrative. It may not hold up as strongly as the core members of the Sandman Series by Gaiman, yet held against itself, the work certainly has its merit as it takes its reader through ...more
Amber Ditullio
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
I love almost anything written in the Sandman world as created by Neil Gaiman. And this is no exception. While it isn't quite as good as the actual Sandman series or Jill Thompson's Little Endless, it is an enjoyable read. The artwork is a bit more surreal than I generally enjoy, but considering the story takes place, in the main, in a post-apocalyptic plague world, it does fit the story very well. I enjoyed watching John Ryder travel through the years, looking for his lady in white. I also felt ...more
Kivilcim
Jul 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
The plot line is one of those which could have been improved to create a great work of art,like Sanman.But the authors obsession with plagues makes it kind of boring.If you have nothing else to do,you could read it as a pass time activity but,No I don't believe it requires more of this.
Steven
Oct 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Scary, hypochondriac inducing, blend of fact, fiction, predestination and plague. Ebola must be really freaking Alisa out.
Mark Kenneth
Aug 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Marvelous literary feat with splendid visual rendering only true blooded artists can do.
Justin
Oct 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beautiful and haunting.
Kathryn
Mar 09, 2009 rated it it was ok
I loved the art, would give it 4 or 5 stars. Very beautiful. And some of the stories were interesting (2 out of 3 at least), but the ending was awful and confusing.
Bridgett
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Unusual format of a story and I'm not sure I quite understood the ending, but I very much liked it.
WM13
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
2 and 1/2
Brian
Nov 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Felt like a sandman book to me.
Amanda
Jun 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
The structure of the book was lovely and the art lovelier. A perfect off-shoot from the Sandman series.
Sara Forsberg
Nov 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
Sandman spin-off. I liked this story, but I've always been fascinated by the plagues of the old world... It's haunting and tragic but also has a lot of heart.
Cassidy Queerface
Oct 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Meh. It was terribly interesting for many portions of it, but they didn't really explain things that were very necessary to the story.
Paul Cloud
Mar 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Not quite up to par with The Sandman but I'm glad to have another piece of the epic. And it was good for what it was. A bit distressing but a great ending.
Michelle Morrell
A page stolen from Destiny's book is the catalyst for these four tales of plague. Interesting story of the eldest of The Endless, the ultimate observer.
Jules Wolfers

• The Books of Magic
  • Taller Tales
  • The Dead Boy Detectives
  • God Save the Queen
  • The Wake (The Sandman, #10)
  • Merv Pumpkinhead: Agent of D.R.E.A.M. (Sandman Presents)
  • The Sandman: The Dream Hunters
  • The Sandman: Gallery of Dreams
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 1: Bindings
I'm the author of YA, graphic novels and novels for adults who still feel young, at least most of the time.
My latest books are Cadaver & Queen from Harlequin Teen, a Feminist Frankenstein meets Grey's Anatomy tale, and Mystik U from DC Comics, which features Zatanna and other magical characters in their first year at college.

My first novel, Till the Fat Lady Sings, is also about college and

Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold (3 books)
  • Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold, Book 1 of 3
  • Destino: Crónica de unas muertes anunciadas, 2 de 3 (Colección Vértigo, #62)
  • Destino: Crónica de unas muertes anunciadas, 3 de 3 (Colección Vértigo, #65)