Start by marking “The Fairytale Cake” as Want to Read:
The Fairytale Cake

The Fairytale Cake

Maybe it wasn't your mom who baked your amazing birthday cake after all. Maybe it was created by a delicious cast of characters from your favorite nursery rhymes!

"We make a cake / We bake a cake / And send it on its way!"
Beloved characters from classic nursery rhymes --- everyone from Humpty Dumpty to Little Bo Peep to Old King Cole --- collaborate to bake the most perfect
Published July 1st 2005 by Chicken House

To ask other readers questions about The Fairytale Cake, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fairytale Cake

Aolund
The basic premise and the story are fine, not incredible but not bad either. It's the way in which brown people are included that really sours this one for me...like, in the first few pages POCs are repeatedly depicted in service positions (musicians, a peasant sweeping in a ragged dress...). Then, when POCs start to show up in slightly better positions, they are nonetheless always depicted as solitary in a sea of white people, never with families around them or a sense of actually rich diverse ...more
Emmaline MacBeath
SUMMARY: Dozens of fairytale characters have gotten together to make a birthday cake for someone special. On the journey to the birthday boy's house, you are invited to spy and name the many characters.

ILLUSTRATIONS: The illustrations are very colorful and full of details. They are too busy for the age group this book was written for. There are dozens of people on a page making it more difficult to find and name the characters.

THE GOOD: This story invites you to learn fairytale characters and to
Meg McGregor
Feb 19, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
I was bitterly disappointed by this book! It had such promise but sure didn't live up to the cover!

Instead of having the fairy tale characters participate in each aspect of the birthday cake, it is simply a bunch of characters (that most littles won't really know until much later on) who help to load the cake and give it to the boy for his birthday!

So disappointing! This could have really been something!
Amy
Apr 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-book
This is a cute book concept. However, for younger kids who aren't familiar with fairytale characters, the book can be pretty boring. My Storytime kids knew only a few fairytale characters and therefore didn't enjoy the book to its fullest
Jenna
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: birthday, imagination
This book is definitely geared towards younger children. The words are short and simple, but the pictures are detailed.This could be a good, fun Ispy book.
Nanci
May 03, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
nice book for Happy Birthday, and recognition of fairy tale characters.
Brooke
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
There's just not a lot going on with this story. It's a little interactive, but there's not a whole lot to do. The kids kept yelling "now do we eat it?".
Ruth Ann
Jun 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: easy
Simple story line but the illustrations make the book! Kids will love identifying the nursery rhyme and storybook characters.
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 rated it liked it
A slew of fairy tale characters make a birthday cake.

The illustrations are where it's at. Try to spot all the fairy tales used.
Beverly
Feb 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very cute, very British, short story, with a birthday theme, suitable for a pre-school story time. The illustrator packs in lots of fairy tale and nursery rhyme characters along the way.
Beth
Happy Birthday from The House that Jack Built to Polly Put the Kettle on and Old Mother Hubbard.
Gail
May 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
My 2.5 year old liked this mostly because she likes cake. And older kid might have fun picking out the rhymes.
Nanci Booher
Apr 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A good book to read with a small group of children. Pages are kind of busy. You can ask alot of question with this book.
Tricia
Sep 06, 2008 rated it liked it
birthday cake is hand delivered by fairy tale characters. very detailed pictures.
Sharon
Aug 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Great artwork! My daughter was very excited by all the pictures!! Cute story!
Janey
Mar 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story or words could be better, but they weren't annoying. The pictures are adorable and really fun. As a little girl, I would have stared at this book for hours.
Alisa
Dec 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
Our whole family loved this book. The words are simple, but my 2 year old LOVES to talk about the birthday cake and find parts of the fairytales. I couldn't even locate them all. Fun book.
Anders Jensen
Aug 27, 2019
Valerie
rated it did not like it
Jun 23, 2009