Start by marking “Boy of the Painted Cave” as Want to Read:
Boy of the Painted Cave

Boy of the Painted Cave

(Boy of the Painted Cave)

Published April 16th 1996 by Puffin Books (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Boy of the Painted Cave, please sign up.
Deejuanae Lewis Bryan Wanlass, sorry that is incorrect. I read the book and it says that Volt is Tao's father and Volt had wanted to kill Tao, that is why Kala does…moreBryan Wanlass, sorry that is incorrect. I read the book and it says that Volt is Tao's father and Volt had wanted to kill Tao, that is why Kala does not want to tell Tao of this.
And also the area is forbidden because Volts mother and father were killed there by wild animals which were thought to be wolf dogs. They basically think the area is cursed and wolf dogs are the demon animals.(less)

Christina Pilkington
Dec 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful story about a boy living in the prehistoric era who wants to be a cave painter despite the fact that he is lame and this would make him unable to be a Chosen One. My kids and I (age 9) are doing a prehistory unit for our homeschooling, and both my kids and I eagerly looked forward to reading this story every day. It held just the right amount of historical detail and adventure to make this a really fun read.

I'd recommend reading this if you're looking for a short, fun, histo
Jenny Chung
Apr 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It was cool yo
Lily
Nov 28, 2017 rated it liked it
pretty good boring at some times and did not always make sense but when it did it was good and kept me hooked.
Rena Sherwood
Better than the entire series of Jean Auel's M. Earth's Children series combined. To be fair, Denzel's book came out 8 years after The Clan of the Cave Bear and 6 years after The Valley of Horses but he stuck more to the everyday struggles of a young cave man rather than the everynight sexcapades that Auel centered on. Believe it or not, the lack of sex made for a much better book.

description

The protagonist is easy to like. The world created is believable. There are cool animals to "ooo" and "ahh" over. Th
Amanda
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
The story was well enough written, but I didn't care for the message of not following leadership, forging your own path, following your dreams even if they're taboo, etc. I realize in this instance there weren't good reasons for the taboos, but I think that part will be largely lost on children ... especially since the whole "follow your heart/dreams" is overly enforced in society. I'm not anti-following-passions, but given the over-emphasis on this today at large I think the part of the book th ...more
Melissa
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preteens/ young adults
Recommended to Melissa by: My mentor teacher
The book started off slow. Finally after the boy started getting some training the book finally picked up speed and development of a plot. In all a very interesting book, and I would recommend for preteens to read.
Katie
Aug 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-book-list
We read this to accompany Story of the World Volume 1. I really enjoyed this especially the bond between Ram and Tao. It reminded me, in ways, of Where the Red Fern Grows. I also liked the independence and capability it showed Tao having, in spite of his disability.
Jiwonkang
Sep 02, 2015 rated it liked it
It was hard to me at the first time but it was good, I liked the main character becoming a perfect painter. However, it was little bit disappointing at the last chapter cause i felt the story was getting too fast.
Kelly
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In the novel Boy of the Painted Cave by Justin Denzel, it jumps into the Pyrenees Mountains in Spain and dates back to about 18 to 20 thousand years ago. The story starts out with a young boy named Tao, who is obsessed with cave painting and drawing. Unfortunately, the clan leader Volt, forbids cave painting unless you're a clan cave painter, like Graybeard. (We’ll find out about him later in the review.) Tao is sent out hunting, and meets a young wolf dog who he names Ram. Tao is close to Ram ...more
Luke Day
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The novel Boy of the Painted Cave by Justin Denzel takes place in the foothills of the Pyrenees Mountains in Spain, eighteen to twenty thousand years ago during prehistoric times. The main character is Tao who has a dream of being a cave painter, doesn't want to help hunt, he also has a bad foot. Tao wants to be a cave painter but the clan people only let chosen ones picked from the spirits be cave painters but he also struggles with not knowing what happened to his parents.
This book is about T
Brandon Staples
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I thought that this book was not the best but still an intresting book. It is about a boy who finds a wolf and they become best friends. But the tribe he is from it is taboo or also known as evil to befriend a wolf. They are cnsidered evil. In this book the tribe constanly tries to kill the dog. I thought it was a good story plot but the part that bored me was the book always brought the characters to spots that were not that important to the story.
Dennis Jewell
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it
It's was OK for a children's book. I read it to deconstruct for a 6th grade class, and I think in that regard it was enjoyable. Other than that it was very much just get through it must of the time, we a few exciting bits here and there. Very basic. Though with the right direction it could make a great movie.
Janice
Mar 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Tao of the Valley People wants to be a cave painter, but it is forbidden by his clan unless you are the son of someone important like the chief. He is an orphan with a malformed foot. He is told about his mother, but not his dad. He secretly breaks several clan taboos in order to fulfill his destiny.

Great read for kids (both boys and girls like it). Also good for discussions.
NoahK
Aug 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The main character is very fierce and he is very brave to live by himself in the wilderness. He gets to learn a lot of things but also faces obstacle such as fighting the Samurai. He is fully exposed to the wild and enjoys hunting animals down. Along the way, he makes friends with a pet.
Kim
Nov 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I read it aloud to my class because we were studying pre-history. It wasn't bad. For an older book (published in 1988) there wasn't anything cringey. There were some good hunting scenes that some of my students loved. It went a little long at places, but overall it was a hit.
Jaylie
Jun 30, 2018 rated it liked it
It was nothing very special. Some parts seemed pointless.
Jennifer Lennon
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cool

Hi
I am a lion
What is your loin
I am a puppy as well
Give me a treat you silly monster
Unisauros
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book about overcoming what people think you cannot do. Short, every scene belongs. It's also nice to return to this book as an adult.
Kiana De
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was absolutely amazing, I read it with my core class! It was a great way to learn the relationship between a dog and a boy, and be able to learn about history in more of a fun way!
donna allgood
Mar 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good!

Very good short read if you enjoy books from this era! A young boy overcomes many stigmas to fulfill the life he was destined for!
AdrianB
Nov 08, 2015 rated it liked it
The Boy Of The Painted Cave by Justin Denzel was a ok book to read. I like how Tao is a boy who is him self no matter if his clan despise him. Tao is an orphan and was born with a bad foot. He likes to paint animals and not hunt them. For this I think he is a brave boy by not listening on what his clan have to say. Tao goes with other men to hunt but he barley catches any food for his clan. When he meets a gray wolf they become friends.But Tao also becomes friends with an old gay named Graybeard ...more
길후 강
Jul 21, 2016 rated it liked it
Boy of the painted painted cave is a historical, fiction(adventure too.) Tao is a little boy who is unloved by everyone because of his unformed leg.. Tao always wanted to express his feelings that are hidden deep himself by paintings on the cave but it is taboo in Tao’s tribe. (Unless you are the chosen one) Volt, the leader of the tribe doesn't want tao to be in his house because he is unqualified to be the chosen one + useless as a hunter. Now lets talk about Graybeard, the greatest painter in ...more
Cailin Schneider
Sep 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tao was a boy who wanted with all his heart to paint. He wanted to paint the cave walls for his tribe to see, but, he knew that only cave painters were allowed to paint. He wanted to become a cave painter but he knew that could never happen either because he was not born from a leader or cave painter. So, Tao would draw secretly in the dirt and dream about becoming a cave painter and what was inside the secret cave in which he was not allowed in.

This was an amazing book, one of my favorites and
Cathy
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Cathy by: Battle of the Books 2016
Tao is an outcast. Unlike the great hunters of his clan, Tao does not want to kill the wild bears or woolly mammoths of the hunt. Instead he wants only to paint them. But only Chosen Ones can be cave painters. What's more, Volt, the clan leader, violently despises Tao. And when the other clan members discover Tao's secret talent, they cast him out into the wilderness alone. There, he befriends a wild wolf dog named Ram, and the mysterious Graybeard, who teaches him the true secret of the hunt.

Mo
Julie
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was assigned to Maggie for 6th grade language arts and being a nosy mom, I read it as well. This book was worth it. A great story about a prehistoric boy who dreams of being a cave painter. Unfortunately, circumstances surrounding his birth make him unworthy of the honor. He is shunned by his tribe and eventually, overcomes many obstacles to achieve his dream. Inspirational and thought-provoking, there are lots of themes for a 6th grader to explore. It complements their history unit ni ...more
Marco Gutierrez
Jun 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
Klara Issaurat
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Unexpectedly, I adored this book. Boy of the Painted Cave by Justin Denzel was a book with great vocabulary, inspiring me to be a better writer, and a better reader. It helped me because I thought the book was beautiful, with a great plot. It made me think more about my writing because sometimes, I am too boring and I have dull vocabulary, this book has amazing (and incredible) vocabulary that helped me understand the book. It helped me as a reader because it gave me a new book to my list, and I ...more
Alexa Deleon
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was ok
Boy in the Painted cave really sucked compared to other books I have read. The story plot was all about a young boy who was around the age of 13. His story is not interesting at all and almost the whole time it is peer boredom. The plot was so not interesting. There was practically no climax because the whole story was the same boringness. There was no real tension and most of the things you could figure out after the first few chapters. The setting took place in the same places and nothing was ...more
Jody
Apr 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Still chipping away at this year's list of Battle of the Books titles. I just didn't realize how much my reading endorsement class would keep me from reading. Ha HA! This is the perfect book for a fifth grade boy who likes adventure. Or girl. Doesn't matter. My sister would have loved this book when she young and playing in the woods imagining and acting out all of her adventures. We had secret passwords to our forts and stuff.
Daniel
Jun 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow.Such surprise in this book,full of them first he knows how to paint and draw like on of the chosen ones. The leader is or turns out to be the boys(whose name is Tao) father who has been really mean to him. It was kind of sad to know that this boy was living with a deformed leg. However even though he had a deformed leg he could run really fast and he could study a animal and get all of its body on a cave wall and paint it in and then one day want to be a Cave Painter.
  • Maroo of the Winter Caves
  • The Trouble with Tuck (Tuck, #1)
  • The Kite Fighters
  • Frozen Stiff
  • It's Disgusting and We Ate It!: True Food Facts from Around the World and Throughout History
  • Dream-of-Jade: The Emperor's Cat
  • Temple Cat
  • Seeker of Knowledge: The Man Who Deciphered Egyptian Hieroglyphs
  • The Last Quest of Gilgamesh (The Gilgamesh Trilogy, #3)
  • Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile
  • Warrior Scarlet
  • The Librarian Who Measured the Earth
  • Archaeologists Dig for Clues
  • Maggie's Dare: The Great Awakening
  • The Case of the Good-Looking Corpse (The P.K Pinkerton Mysteries, #2)
  • The Oregon Trail: An Interactive History Adventure
  • The Demon's Den (Hardy Boys, #81)
  • Jack London and the Klondike Gold Rush

Boy of the Painted Cave (2 books)
  • Return to the Painted Cave