Start by marking “Safari: A Photicular Book” as Want to Read:
Safari: A Photicular Book

Safari: A Photicular Book

A magical journey. A safari in your hands.

Animals in living motion, as real as if you were there. The cheetah bounds, the lion charges. The African elephant snaps its ears.

Using unique Photicular technology, Safari is the adventure of a lifetime, and a book unlike any other.

Experience it for yourself.
Published October 16th 2012 by Workman Publishing Company (first published September 25th 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Safari, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safari

Jeanne
Oct 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Summary: This is a lenticular non-fiction book about safaris and safari animals of Kenya. The book uses new technology which moves the page as you open and close the book so it looks as though the pictures are moving. The images are of very good quality and it is not like the traditional lenticular page where you see two alternating images, but rather it looks like a little movie. For example, one of the images shows a Gorilla chewing a leaf and it looks as though his mouth is moving. The top pa ...more
Amy
Nov 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely fascinating book! The pictures move! Really, you have to see it to believe it. The only problem with this book is that the pictures are so fascinating, I forgot to read the text! This is a great gift for an animal loving child (or adult).
Iowa City Public Library
Sometimes a book just reaches out and grabs me. “Safari: a photicular book”, grabbed me and I am having trouble letting it go. I had it with me for days while out at the Reference Desk because I wanted to write about it and couldn’t figure out how to describe it. But now it is ready for another reader and I have to say goodbye. At least while I had it at the desk I was able to share it with others, (whether they really wanted to see it or not).

In the introduction Kainen he shares that his grandf
Michael
Nov 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Neat pictures, and good writing. The book has a lot of good information, and I learned a lot of cool facts.
Emma Dickinson
A very interesting and unique book using almost flip pages to engage the reader. The pictures are amazing. The text, however, is a bit full on. In terms of school use, this book could easily be damaged and the effect would be lost.
Jeff
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jeff by: Discovered it on my own.

1st Read: January 25, 2015

There really isn't a lot of reading in this original book, which isn't to say that it was boring. It was far from that. It was "short and sweet" as the old cliche goes. It had an introduction to the geographical landscape within its first few sentences and the wonders of the wild life that roam the African Savannah throughout its pages.

Dan Kainen and Carol Kaufmann tell their story of a personal safari, led by their guide, Massek, who showed them the many splendors
Jeremiah Benjamin
We borrowed this book for Classical Conversations Cycle 1.

The lenticular images in this book are amazing and really captivate the imaginations of our 6 and 4 year olds. The text was a little long for the kids, but an interesting and quick read for adults. The kids enjoy animating the photos themselves by turning the previous page back and forth; this is a welcome change from the usual "tilt side to side" that most lenticular images need, and a clever implementation.

The images in motion show uniq
Amy
Jan 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
I totally bought this book for the pictures. I think it's worth it.

There's an introduction story which is a personal account of a woman's safari trip to Africa with a friend. She covers her experiences and includes a brief history of African safaris and the current state of African wildlife.

Each photo is accompanied with a factual (paragraph-style written) account of each animal: their habitat, typical day-in-the-life and so forth.

Factually there is nothing in this book that you can't easily fin
Krys
Jan 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My 1 year old loves this book! I bought it on an impulse during date night with my husband because I knew my son would enjoy it. He LOVES moving the page up and down to make the animals move. I read the page to him while he makes the image dance. It was expense so he only gets to look at it when there is an adult helping but he will go to the shelf and point at it when he wants to read it! I hope they make more of these I would definitely buy them!
Carol
Jan 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is so cool!! Its like having a little movie inside of the book. I remember the when this technology first came out in books like Gallop! which is amazing. This one takes it to the next level with real moving photographs.
Nikki
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This caught my eye as I was shopping! Such a clever idea and so effective! I couldn't put it down! It features short and simple facts about some of our favourite safari animals, but for me this is all about the moving pictures! seriously I can't leave this book alone and am sure people are getting fed up with my "demonstrations" :p LOVE IT!
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The kids got this book along with Oceans and Polar for Christmas - they are all absolutely amazing, but Safari is the best. I haven't read any of them yet, but the words are superfluous, as it's the pictures that make the book. Each photo is like watching the moving pictures in Harry Potter. Definitely a great gift book for kids or adults.
Amber Polo
Jan 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Yes this is an amazing and beautiful book.
But I'm not sure of the audience. I don't think children brought up on high quality video and multi-media ebooks on iPads will be impressed for long before asking the question "What else does it do?"
The text is delightful for adults.

"Safari" is a conversation piece and collector's purchase.
Trey
Jun 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
I'm glad I checked this out from the library instead of buying it. I always have trouble with lenticular images. While these Photicular images flicker for me, they don't thrill me the same way a really good photo would, or even a solid YouTube video. When video screens become cheap enough to insert on every page, this book will have a solid second printing.
Jen
Dec 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
I have never seen anything like this before. The animals move just like in a visual recording. It has encyclopedic entries for each animals that have words that are probably a little bit above the target audience.
Amanda
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
LOVED this. I think that I loved this more than Madam, and I played with the pages and was sooo happpy and acted like a kid much more than she did. The text was a bit authorial, if you know what I mean, but we still I enjoyed it.
Alfons
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
AMAZING simple Technology
Great essay accompanies this better than a pop up book.
Great for people of all ages and educational, if you like National Geographic then you'll like this big time.
A great gift to give at any age--yes, I'm giving this as a gift for Christmas this year.
M
Nov 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was great to read and then go visit our Museum of Osteology. It makes me want to go on an African Safari, although I'm unclear if this type of thing upsets their natural habitats, in which case they should cease.
Charissa Ty
Jun 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful interactive book! Definitely a precious collectible.
Yuki
Apr 06, 2015 rated it liked it
Interesting and informative book, along with wonderful photicular images.
pati
Fascinating photos and concise text.
Tim
Jan 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A movable picture book for adults...totally cool! I am inordinately fond of the chewing ape picture.
Sunil Jawahir
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Just awesome. Everything comes to life.
Alyson
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I don't belief "Photicular technology" has been considered for a Caldecott and might not even be eligble; but holy cow what an eye catching book. This will be a popular Christmas gift this year.
Eva Kelly
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book has videos in it!!!! I saw it and I thought "Holy cow, how do they do that?" Maybe someday I'll read the words. It had a lot of words.
Bree
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-nf-books
Notes:
long narrative at the beginning is not really a kids' story but it's a juv book; images are fascinating; book is unusual in size (about 8x8 and maybe 2" thick)
Chelsea
Amazing! Incredible "photicular" images.
Erin
Jan 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: juv-nonfic-favs
this book is pure magic!!!
Michele
Nov 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
I wish they had books like these when I was young. The photos move so realistically. It reminds me of how the photos in Harry Potter's world.
Elsbeth
Jan 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Like for wow! I've seen many scanimation type books before but this one takes the cake. The pictures are like a combination of holograms and scanimation. Just plain cool.

• Chasing Cheetahs: The Race to Save Africa's Fastest Cat
  • The Polar Bear
  • Yucky Worms
  • Thomas Jefferson Builds a Library
  • Frog Song
I'm the author of Safari (Workman, 2012), a New York Times bestseller, and the upcoming Ocean (Workman, 2014) and well as another yet-to-be-named Workman title. Currently, I'm a freelance writer and editor and have recently published content for The New York Times, DailyWorth.com., EarthPulse, and the AARP Bulletin. In the past decade, I've been a staff writer for National Geographic magazine and ...more