Start by marking “A Treasury of Poems: A Collection of the World's Most Famous and Familiar Verse” as Want to Read:
A Treasury of Poems: A Collection of the World's Most Famous and Familiar Verse

A Treasury of Poems: A Collection of the World's Most Famous and Familiar Verse

More than 400 great poets in one value-priced volume.

With nearly 440 poems by such greats as Plato, Shakespeare, Bryon, Keats, Christina Rossetti, Wilde, Dickinson, Emily Bronte, Sandburg, and more, this invaluable compendium captures the full breadth of human experience and emotions. The well-loved verses that fill these pages cover such universal topics as Aging, Beauty,
Published September 1st 2004 by Galahad (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Treasury of Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Treasury of Poems

Barnabas Piper
Apr 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As one unfamiliar with poetry this book was a fantastic intro. I was able to meander through and find some I loved, some I didn't and a pile in between. It was a perfect survey of a genre and form I am deeply interested in.
Andrea
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love poems and I love this book.

A wise old owl lived in an oak;
The more he saw the less he spoke;
The less he spoke the more he head:
Why can't we all be like that bird?

- Author Unknown

My favorite poem funny and true ....
Dholsten
Jun 06, 2015 rated it liked it
At first I thought this collection had a better range of poems, but in the end, many I have seen or read elsewhere. I would like to see a collection with more of a world culture outreach. American and English poets does not a "collection of famous/familiar verse" make.
R K
Jan 07, 2019 rated it liked it
It's an all encompassing book on poems, what else is there to say. It's an anthology of British or American poets and their most loved or famous poem/s. It's a great introduction to people who might want to get into poetry but have no idea where to start. It introduces different styles and topics, all of which help a reader get an idea of what type and/or style of poetry they like. It's a hunker of a book and certainly not something you can finish quickly. I got introduced to a couple of new poe ...more
Sue
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection is what I'd call "Solid Gold Oldies." While what is here is very good, there's nothing here you haven't read before and can easily find elsewhere. The collection itself didn't feel particularly inspired to me; just some famous, nice poems compiled together. It doesn't flow especially well, so I'd use it more for reference than to actually sit down and read cover to cover.
Richard Haynes
Dec 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
Bought this book at a fantastic sale price at B&N in July. Started reading a few poems each and every week. This book has over 4000 poems and is nicely divided into sections from Ageing to Zeal. Wonderful collection. Finished the book today, 26 Dec. 2017.
Andrea Engle
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-read-2017
An uneven collection ... there are some real treasures by such as John Donne, Emily Dickinson and Walt Whitman ... but there are also some old chestnuts by Edgar A. Guest and "Author Unknown" that detract from the overall quality of the volume ...
Andrew Hodgson
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Only covers English poetry, with a few Americans, so it is a good collection, but limited. I enjoyed this book less toward the end. The first 2/3 or so is excellent.
William Schram
Apr 23, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Contains a great number of poems, and I love that it included a great many of my favorites. Also, the price was right since I got it from the Bargain Shelf.

There are one or two things that bother me about it though. The main one is the typos. I don't know what happened, but some of the poems have mistakes in them, and spelling mistakes for such famous poems are hard to forgive. Thus, I give it one less star than it would usually get.

Other than that, it is pretty good. It is organized by theme. A
butterflygloss
Dec 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I truly enjoyed this collection of poems. It taught me a lot and gave me a grasp for poetry that allowed me to develop a better sense of understanding poems. I found a lot of new favorite poems while reading this collection, and it's definitely worth it to read it and have it on your book shelf. It's something you can come back and read snippets from time and time again. The reason I give it 4 stars is because I really do wish that it would have included more diverse poets other than those from ...more
Britt
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It's really a 4, due to the overload of Edgar Guest and Emily Dickinson, and eschewed perception (of the compiler) on marriage and love. However, she included several of Emily Brontë's poems, which are rare, and so was a treasure to me. This book turned me on to P. Shelley, Alexander Pope, and Ben Johnson. I had never truly understood how great they are.

Lastly, many of the poems in this book were set to music and I sang them as a girl. This book of poetry is so precious to me!
❁ cammie ❁
Oct 15, 2016 rated it liked it
I think this is the perfect start to the poetry world if you're a noob like me.
I found a lot of poems that I like thanks to this book!
Jules
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poems, poetry, favorites, owned
A beautiful anthology of some of the best loved verse, from Tennyson to Wordsworth and Dickinson to Edna St. Vincent Mallay.
Alona Shoemaker
Dec 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't like all the poems but there were many that I did and they are all marked for future reference.
Alexys Rea
Jun 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful collection! I recommend it to be a part of everyone's library!
Tj V
Mar 12, 2015 added it
It has almost all my clasic avorite poems!
Meadow
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is an amazing collection of poems! It includes most of my favourite poems and poets. I also read some beautiful poems that I've never read before!

~ 5 stars :D
Rashik
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Something is here, in my heart. I don't know what is that. But I always feel it. Feel it specially when I read this book. The verses, make me feel that something is here, in my heart. :)
Cherie
Feb 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
A wonderful collection of poems to keep by your bedside. I found all of my old favorites and many more I had never read.
Brice Knight

• The World's Greatest Love Letters
  • Selected Poems
  • Pocket Book of Poetry
  • One Hundred and One Famous Poems: With a Prose Supplement
  • Darkness Before the Dawn (Maggie Bennett, 2)
  • Very Charleston: A Celebration of History, Culture, and Lowcountry Charm
  • Kipling: A Selection of His Stories and Poems Volume I (1 of 2)