Start by marking “Purity” as Want to Read:
Purity

Purity

Ex-model Amy has her own radio show with a popular phone-in slot. When two prostitutes are murdered after a caller has admitted to fantasies of rape, Amy begins to suspect that the man she loves, who lives beneath her flat, may be a murderer. A call to her program informs her that she is next.
Published February 1st 1999 by Little, Brown Book Group (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Purity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Purity

Miss
Apr 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: suspense, mystery
I really didn't enjoy this much unfortunately. The murder mystery aspect was ok. The "twist" was predictable. The characters were awful - I could not connect with a single one of them - and ultimately this is what ruined it for me.
Stephen McQuiggan
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ex model turned shock jock, Amy Watson, thinks she's getting calls from a serial killer. A serial killer who targets the sick, and Amy has just found a lump. Short, zippy, tense, and with a load of Herbert style set pieces; there's a lot to like. With the device of a radio phone in show, Hutson allows himself a lot of room to beat some old bugbears to death. A lot of clues buried amid all the red herrings - one of Hutson's more satisfying books.
Tenacious.ze
Mar 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was my very first Shaun Hutson book, and aside from a very close second of 'Slugs', it still remains the FIRST. Tortuous chapters leave you bleary eyed and exhausted as you can't face putting the book down until you know how it end. It's a one sitting sort of book. Doesn't have ANY appropriate 'put-down' moments. I've read and re-read at least 9 times. I find a little nugget that I missed each time, and it still thrills me like I'm a Shaun Virgin. I'm afraid this is better than 50 shades fo ...more
Keso Shengelia
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
"So, how easy do you think it would be to kill someone?" ....and if i close my mind in fear, please pry it open... :)
Joe Stamber
Jul 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: paper, read-2013
Hutson is known for his horror novels, but despite Purity being shelved by several GR folk as horror, it is a murder mystery. A serial killer is on the loose and the investigation into his identity isn't making much progress. The POV shifts between various characters including an radio presenter, a detective and a politician. Purity is a competent and engaging story that held my interest without having that quality that makes a book difficult to put down.
Jack Pyke
Hmmm, not one of his best, but the murder mystery themes were spot on and still left that cold shiver down your back. Fantastic author, ridiculously talented, but this one just didn't hit every usual mark. And Hutson usually does.
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A book I found amongst many that were given to us. I'm glad I gave it a chance because I couldn't put it down. There isn't really anything overly spectacular about it but I still couldn't help being hooked, and I loved the twist at the end. Definitely didn't see that coming!
Mysticpaganwitch
Was ok, prefered Lucys' child.
Ailurophile
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was ok
The murder mystery was good. I did not see that coming. But it was not enough to counter the unnecessary padding and details which often made me lose interest in the sorry. Not a memorable read.
David Pollison
Oct 17, 2015
Eleanor Taylor
Aug 28, 2012
Rich
rated it did not like it
Jan 07, 2016
  • The Stake
  • Dark Debts
  • Night Life
  • Eternity
British horror novelist, including horror and urban thriller novels.

His novella Slugs was made into a movie, although Hutson didn't like the movie. He also appeared in two horror movies himself.

Hutson is a Liverpool F.C. fan.